Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Donnie Darko...WTF?
    #3891215 - 03/09/05 02:41 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

OK, i hear so many people raving about this movie. I thought it was OK. There is so much pointless/Macguffin type stuff in this movie. The little chinese/mexican girl that says "chut up!" has no point in the story, but keeps showing up. The teacher (drew Barrymore) has no real point in the movie, just some superficial character. The soundtrack in the movie sucks as well. The only saving grace of the movie is the ending; which only ties in about a half of the movie and leaves the rest of the stuff to dangle into useless fodder.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Donnie Darko...WTF? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3891317 - 03/09/05 03:18 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

yes, this movie is alright albeit flawed. If I saw this movie without all these psuedo-intellectual film dorks raving about it I would have thought it interesting. The more I hear about it the more I want to hate on this movie. Watch it a second time, it'll make a little more sense but you won't be satisfied.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Offlineinfamous
LeArnin ThARoPes
 User Gallery

Loc: dark side of the moon
Re: Donnie Darko...WTF? [Re: DirtMcgirt]
    #3891331 - 03/09/05 03:22 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

if you just pay attention to donnie in the movie its good, i agree on that stupid chinese girl she almost ruins the whole thing ( with that swan performace scene), that and drew barrymores horrible acting.

--------------------
The land of the free on paper looks great!

here I stand head in hand turn my face to the wall

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Re: Donnie Darko...WTF? [Re: infamous]
    #3891368 - 03/09/05 03:34 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Why doesn't Drew Barrymore just stick to showing her breasts in playboy? Nobody really wants to see her act do they? She doesn't even have a very big part in the movie and she is still a distraction.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3892096 - 03/09/05 09:52 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Oh, i have watched the movie about 30 times now. My pc wont read DVD's for some reason, so i DL'd Donnie Darko and watch either that or apocalypse now every night.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3892324 - 03/09/05 10:54 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I like the "chut up!" girl. I watched the movie without having ever heard of it, and I liked it a lot. That said, I tend to like pointless movies (Lost in Translation for example)

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3892346 - 03/09/05 10:59 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I like Donnie Darko.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3893051 - 03/09/05 02:32 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

It's a good movie. And all movies have insignificant people/parts as well as significant people/parts.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Donnie Darko...WTF? [Re: Locus]
    #3893741 - 03/09/05 05:08 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Whoa, whoa.... like lost in translation?

Lost in Translation was an amazing film. Everything Focus has done has been pretty amazing. Lost in Translation and The Last Samurai were about the same thing: an eroding culture. Lost in Translation was deep, and Bill Murray is one of the most kick ass actors.

Donnie Darko is a good movie, in some parts. Yes, many movies have what is known as Macguffins. Pointless things/characters. DD had way too many of these.

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3893881 - 03/09/05 05:31 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

According to you... but you don't decide for everyone do you? Ok then. I can easily see why you have a lot of bad ratings.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Donnie Darko...WTF? [Re: Locus]
    #3894590 - 03/09/05 07:31 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

No, I dont decide for everyone, but lets just omit all opinions on this entire forum from now on and see how fun it gets. This is a thread about movies, which is an art, which is subjective to the self. Go post this crap in every thread that says "(insert band name here) is the best band ever!". Zeke and I both liked LiT and Donnie Darko, i was just voicing the obvious (to me) differences between the two. Gonna have to start ducking the opinion police, they are almost getting as thick as the english professors and the debating critics.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3897346 - 03/10/05 11:31 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

speaking of movies that start with 'donnie', how about Donnie Brasco? that's a pretty good movie too. "Cancer uhda prick"

and yes, perhaps it was a bit hasty to put Donnie Darko and Lost in Translation into the same category. my apologies.

Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

#3897583 - 03/10/05 12:19 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Well these so called "pointless" characters actually have a point for being in the movie. I'm pretty sure it was to illustrate a sense of interconnectivity within the universe. This was through showing how Donnie's existance affected the lives of all of the "pointless" characters as well as interconnectivity with time, through time travel and the various pathways of event that he saw. Also it was to give a sense of environment and give the audience a sense of what Donnie's world was like. Without these characters the movie wouldn't be what it was, thereby making them have a point.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Donnie Darko...WTF? [Re: relativexistance]
    #3898673 - 03/10/05 04:14 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Well, i can understand having other pointless characters in the movie to give it realism and such. Donnie Darko hones in an emphasizes these characters and gives IMHO pointless side plots. What was the deal with "Cellar Door"? The movie made it seem as if that was going to have some profound impact.

Invisiblericochet
    #3898837 - 03/10/05 04:49 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

some of you would do better to listen to the commentary and read the website.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Donnie Darko...WTF? [Re: ricochet]
    #3899779 - 03/10/05 07:50 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

You shouldnt have to listen to the commentary. That is like having the artist over your shoulder as you view his work in a museum.

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

#3899858 - 03/10/05 08:08 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

I agree. How good can symbolism really be if you have to spell it out to your audience and nobody understands it until you do. I'm not asserting that an artist should pander to nobody but him/herself but you can't claim allusions and symbolism to be well done if nobody picks it up.

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
    #3900531 - 03/10/05 10:42 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

yeah in the movie that chut up girl liked donnie darko, it was part of the story no matter how un-needed she was. donnie darko is a great movie, and a classic IMHO.

Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Donnie Darko...WTF? [Re: CptnGarden]
    #3901180 - 03/11/05 03:29 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Yes, anyone can see that "chut up" girl liked Donnie, at the end of the movie, but it really had no bearing on the the movie. Try this test: if you could "directors cut" that part out of the movie, would it change the meaning and depth? no, cutting chut up girl would not change the movie in any way whatsoever.

OfflineThe_Walrus
Stranger
Loc: Cambridge, Britain
    #3901426 - 03/11/05 07:38 AM (19 years, 22 days ago)

I'be only seen it once, once it got to the time travel bit I started losing the plot. It is definetaly one of those films that requires repeated viewing to 'get it'. There aren't many films like that made these days/

--------------------
'Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted' - Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder