Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Grow Light, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

Loc: The Other Side
Has anyone experimented with UV?
    #3898397 - 03/10/05 05:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not talking the UV-A from a black light, and not for growing.. I have been around some UV-B and UV-C lights used to sterilize water, which they do a damn good job of, esp UV-C lamps. Just wondering if anyone has used, or heard of anyone using them in a Mushy setup. They can kill germs in as little as 10 seconds, bacteria & viruses, and reportedly mold spores are even quicker to die in the light.

Anyone know how a cake, or casing would hold up? 10 seconds is pretty quick to clear up a case of the green funk.

Mind you most have warnings not to look directly into the light, because of Immediate and Severe Eye damage, so this wouldn't be something to just toy around with.. But used in a "clean room" for 5 min to kill just about everything in it, might give an added edge to being as sterile as you can...

Just Wondering,
DG

btw.. here is a link to one I found just surfing links.

http://www.germeliminator.com/uv-c%20background.htm
http://www.onlineallergycenter.com/displayroom/skudetail.nhtml?uid=10055

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Has anyone experimented with UV? [Re: DerGeist]
    #3898594 - 03/10/05 05:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

PF experimented with UV lights, it almost destroyed everything he was growing
he had some serious mutations and nothing had produced spores

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

Re: Has anyone experimented with UV? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3898647 - 03/10/05 06:09 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I wouldn't doubt it, any idea if any of his data was recorded? Duration of exposure, % contams, mutations, etc? I wasn't suggesting using it as a grow light source, but a kick arse addition to a sterilization setup, perhaps quicker way to kill the nastys...

DG

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3898818 - 03/10/05 06:45 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

with PF, everything is recorded unfortunately, I'm sure there is a lot that ha
cannot and will not release, you can check through google newsgroups and find his
old usenet posts and may even be able to find some of the info here, just make
sure you seach back to 7 years and you will be wading through some similar
questions

OfflineSucellos
Stranger
Re: Has anyone experimented with UV? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3898885 - 03/10/05 06:57 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It would be sweet to test if you could eliminate the need to pc by exposing the substrate to a couple of thos lights. I would try if i could but it would be sweet if someone who has some extra cash to do some expirementing.

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

Re: Has anyone experimented with UV? [Re: Sucellos]
    #3899592 - 03/10/05 09:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know how well it would work for casings, my research has found it does not work too well on Endospores, but for water, and surface area, it can't be beat from all accounts.. Syringes, tools, water, etc.. 20 seconds under some UV-C and it'd be contam free. Or as an add on to a flow hood, or glove box for air. I see it having many practical uses in this hobby.. But would have to be handled with care due to the harm it can also cause to you.. Going to do some more research on it before I chuck it as an idea..

DG

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3899606 - 03/10/05 09:09 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Perhaps itd make a great flowhood, i'm sure it'd help w/o that type of sterilyzing, but as for grains :thumbdown:

But that's no exp. w/ that type of light talking :shrug:

-Gnostic

Offlineo0brandnewcolony
PsychedelicEnthusiast
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Upstairs...
Re: Has anyone experimented with UV? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3899618 - 03/10/05 09:12 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

How much do these things run, like 200$?

--------------------

LSA Extraction Pictorial

Keeping my spirit alive.

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

Re: Has anyone experimented with UV? [Re: o0brandnewcolony]
    #3899750 - 03/10/05 09:44 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Ya I think for subs, and casings it wouldn't work for crap, but for surfaces, air, and water it would be damn smooth..

Kinda Pricy, but I haven't shopped round the net much yet, looking at tech sheets mostly, sure you can find some good deals out there.

DG

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
    #3901468 - 03/11/05 10:04 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.soslightbulbs.com/shop/customer/pages.php?pageid=12

they are pretty cheap. they fit normal flouro fixtures.

UV will only sterilize the surface of whatever it touches. You will not be able to get inside of anything. Therefore it's no replacement for proper PC/autoclaving. It would be good put inline with a hepa filter if you're REALLY anal about killing all contams. It HAS to be shielded though. UV in these wavelengths is very destructive to living tissue. In nature, the atmosphere blocks most of it, so it's weak when it gets to us. But right in front of these lights you can expect to get a nasty burn from even brief exposure. Please be careful if you do choose to fool around with this stuff.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

Re: Has anyone experimented with UV? [Re: gsmith]
    #3901510 - 03/11/05 10:27 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Depends on what you mean by "get inside" Light will get inside quite a lot, and while the strength of UV-C does drop with distance from the source, 12 inches is still a pretty good distance to have an effect with a decent bulb. Jars, Syringes, table tops, work areas, etc.. would still be viable surfaces for this to work. The medical industry uses UV-C on a lot of the Bio-Hazard needles, and other instruments. I agree, it would not be a replacement for an Autoclave, or PC. However, where I am, there is a really bad mold problem, (very humid here, and between 2 lakes) this might just give an edge to helping stay contam free..

I totally agree with you on the safety issue.. If you choose to look into this method, it would be wise to take EXTREME caution when working with high intensity UV-C, it's not going to kill you outright, but it can be VERY dangerous if handled improperly.

DG

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3901920 - 03/11/05 12:12 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

He means get inside of the substrate. It WONT get inside the center of substrate to sterilize it..meaning you still need to PC it. That was his point. I dont think you wanted it for this anyways, just tools and works areas and such.

Be carful these lights are dangerous, you cant expose it to yourself either. There have been a few threads talking of using them over time, but I have yet to see anyone actually do it properly and show how it can really benifit us. The only things that will sterilize, usually arent the problems.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleDerGeist
Completing theCycle

Re: Has anyone experimented with UV? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3901981 - 03/11/05 12:22 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

This is true, and most likely the point he was trying to make.. I have seen products that use UV-C to kill airborne germs/molds, this added with a decent HEPA, would make my life much easier, as it is VERY prone to mold here..  I looked for threads here, and googled the crap out of it.. Perhaps I wasn't using the right search words, but could find very little about it being used in this application.

Just getting some input on the subject.. :smile:

Thnx,
DG

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3902196 - 03/11/05 01:02 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

There is very little, like I said, its been brought up...but to my knowledge, not implimented yet. There was a thread not long ago where that was said to be the best method, right after the HEPA filter, goes the bulb, not actually in the glovebox. That way your blowing HEPAed UVed air into the chamber. Wouldnt work so great sterilizing tools this way, but this is how it should be done to be safe. There are other ways though (seal it and put the switch so your not exposed to it ect). I think the conclusion that most users came to though was that a HEPA is all you need on a glovebox and the UV doesnt have much use elsewhere.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: Has anyone experimented with UV? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3902291 - 03/11/05 01:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I totally support the light and it's effects but what about the radiation the bad boy is putting out. that can't be good for you. they aren't that expencive 20 bucks + shipping & handleing isn't really that bad of an investment. i always have trouble keeping all my tools clean. would it kill spores from the mushrooms though. i do a lot of spore printing and i wouldn't want to kill off my new generations.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Has anyone experimented with UV? [Re: thenewguy05]
    #3902349 - 03/11/05 01:26 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

UV doesnt go through things or travel far or anything like that. You isolate the light from your mushroom stuff and you, it will only kill everything around what it lights up...it will kill mushroom stuff too though..you turn off the light while your near it and while its printing though. Its on before hand while your not there, killing everything.

--------------------

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
Re: Has anyone experimented with UV? [Re: thenewguy05]
    #3903978 - 03/11/05 06:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

it can't travel through anything opaque... uvc can also be effectively blocked with just a pane of glass. uvb will pass through glass though, and is still damaging. UVA/B/C will also burn your eyes BIG TIME if you look directly at it. forgot to mention that earlier.

But I do feel that uvc could be the best option for a few things:

1. sterilizing sheets of paper/foil/plastic for printing. (aside from being quick, it would do the least ammount of damage to the printing surface)
2. sterilizing glove boxes. (I used bleach or alcohol when I did it, and I always felt that waiting for those things to dry just left an open window for contams)
3. sterilizing casing trays. (again, same reason as #2)
4. Compact bulbs installed in ultrasonic/cool mist humidifiers to keep them contam free.

and so forth... there are definite possibilities. It just seemed that whenever I had the money to spare on more grow supplies it always went towards something else... And anytime that it's possible to use a non-chemical alternative we should really make an effort to utilize it. If not for the shrooms, but for us. I can't tell you how sick I am of the smell of bleach/h2o2/lysol/alcohol. and you know that shit isn't good for ya...

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Invisiblebaltazar
Quiet dreamer

Re: Has anyone experimented with UV? [Re: gsmith]
    #8599946 - 07/06/08 08:23 AM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Does anyone have experience with UVC sterilization of spore syringes after they have been made? I'm not sure if UVC light harms mushroom spores too(?), so any info about this topic, would be very useful. It would be great if this worked because the sterile conditions while making the syringe, wouldn't be that important and necessary any more, having in mind that you can just sterilize the spore water with UVC later...

I'm planing to buy a UVC bulb in a few days, in hope to somewhat improve my common problems with keeping the enviroment sterile.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Grow Light, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation