Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCingOfKorruption
I Like Cats

To Much Water In Jars After Boiling
    #3895436 - 03/09/05 10:12 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

i just got done boiling 3 half pint cups. i noticed that on the very bottom of the cups, it is a whitish color, like there is to much water. could i put these jars in a warm place after injecting, so that they will dry out a little bit, and then move to a different spot? am i better off pouring it all out and starting again? are there any other options that can help save these jars? thanks.

--------------------
My dad use to have this red truck that he would drive all the way to Moscow with. He actually got a really good deal on it from a friend of his. One day it had a strange noise coming from the trunk. A tapping noise that was on and off. He pulled over to check it out. When he got out of his truck, he stepped in a puddle, causing muddy water to splash all over his jeans. So he got back into his truck and decided to go back home.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: To Much Water In Jars After Boiling [Re: CingOfKorruption]
    #3895449 - 03/09/05 10:15 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Start again. Follow the tek exactly and make sure to cover your jars with foil when steaming or pc'ing to prevent water from the lid of the pot from gettin in through the lids of the jars.

Edited by hotnutz (03/09/05 10:18 PM)

OfflineCingOfKorruption
I Like Cats

Re: To Much Water In Jars After Boiling [Re: Hotnuts]
    #3895541 - 03/09/05 10:34 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

that's what it was, i forgot to cover my jars with tin foil, duH!....just kidding. actually, this time i covered my jars with tin foil a lot...2 pieces down, one up, and then one down. the water is only a little bit and at the bottom. the rest of the jar looks perfect. are you sure that i cant fix them in any way? thanks.

--------------------
My dad use to have this red truck that he would drive all the way to Moscow with. He actually got a really good deal on it from a friend of his. One day it had a strange noise coming from the trunk. A tapping noise that was on and off. He pulled over to check it out. When he got out of his truck, he stepped in a puddle, causing muddy water to splash all over his jeans. So he got back into his truck and decided to go back home.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#3895597 - 03/09/05 10:43 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

The problem is, the standing water in the jar will make it a great starting point for wet spot bacteria. Your chance of success is slim to none. Proly none. Make sure the foil is snug around the lids or the foil is uneffective.

Edited by hotnutz (03/09/05 10:45 PM)

OfflineCingOfKorruption
I Like Cats

#3895606 - 03/09/05 10:45 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

what about putting my jars in the oven for a short amount of time on a low tempature, checking every minutes or so? could it evaporate some of the water out? or what about setting them in the sun(im in Oregon, the weather is perfect) for a short time?

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#3895626 - 03/09/05 10:49 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

You could give it a try. But I dought it will work. I wouldn't waste spores on 3 bad 1/2 pints. Just try it again.

OfflineCingOfKorruption
I Like Cats

#3895652 - 03/09/05 10:52 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

i would put them in the oven first and then look at the jars and see if it worked. then i would inject the spores into them. im planning on a casing anyways.

would i run any risks putting them in the oven on a low temperature? risks as in, fire risks.

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#3895691 - 03/09/05 10:57 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

No. Just go with a temp around 200-225. Check on them ocasionally to make sure you don't dry them too much. As soon as the water has disappeared in the bottoms of the jars, take them out and let them cool. Good luck! Let me know if it worked.

Edited by hotnutz (03/09/05 10:58 PM)

OfflineCingOfKorruption
I Like Cats

#3895736 - 03/09/05 11:03 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

i will. thanks for the help. hi heather.

--------------------

OfflineCingOfKorruption
I Like Cats

#3895826 - 03/09/05 11:23 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

heather says that i should poke holes, should i? i asked first. it makes sense. but should i?

--------------------

OfflineCingOfKorruption
I Like Cats

#3895942 - 03/09/05 11:47 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

did not work. it looks like the water in the jars evaporated but the water spot on the bottom stays there. i just looked at my other 3 jars that just got done boiling and they are wet on the bottom too. ill take your advice and get this right next time. i've been growing for a couple of years now and i just realized my problem is that i have been adding to much water. you live you learn.

thanks for your help.

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#3896120 - 03/10/05 12:20 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

You know something else. You only to need to simmer the water in the pot. A setting of 2-3 is usually surfice. Boiling water will get into the jars for sure. On your next round, put enough water in the pot that it goes not quite half way up the jars. That's plenty. Then just get the water barely steaming, not boiling. Soon as you get a moderate steam going, start timing 90 minutes. Works everytime. Good luck!

OfflineCingOfKorruption
I Like Cats

#3900273 - 03/10/05 09:44 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

i use to boil the water and it wouldn't get in. then i took a break from growing, then started again, and now i cant get it right until i try it a couple of times.

i've been putting towels at the bottom of the pot and around the sides. is this correct?

i also tried this for the first time this time...i only used one pot that fit 3 jars in it. i boiled them for and hour and a half, then took them out one by one and replaced each one with a new jar each time i took them out. and then boiled those for an hour and a half, but then i noticed in the first jars that i had added to much water and screwed up, so i didn't bother with the last three. im boiling up 9 jars total. i didn't want to use several pots because i cant keep track of the boiling in each one. could this at all be a bad idea?

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#3900551 - 03/10/05 10:48 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

Naaa. At that low of a temp just set them right on the bottom of the pot. A mild steam is all you need. 2-3 on most stoves will do it.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3900560 - 03/10/05 10:52 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

i've been putting towels at the bottom of the pot and around the sides. is this correct?

Putting them on the bottom is sufficient. It certainly doesn't hurt and it may save you a few cracked jars.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags