Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

Just want to pass on a cool new shroom link <i'm not getting paid for it>
    #3894470 - 03/09/05 07:10 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

everyone check this site out it's got some extensive listings of species and it's new i believe.

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com

peace out

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: Just want to pass on a cool new shroom link <i'm not getting paid for it> [Re: cosmicsea]
    #3894520 - 03/09/05 07:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogersMushrooms.com aims is the greatest online pictorial and information resource for mycologists throughout the world.

Thanks for the link! Looks like a very nice site with some very big goals. I can't say I have heard of Roger Phillips though :blush:

--------------------

Edited by ivi (03/09/05 07:47 PM)

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

Re: Just want to pass on a cool new shroom link <i'm not getting paid for it> [Re: ivi]
    #3894566 - 03/09/05 07:27 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

He has a new book out.

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
Re: Just want to pass on a cool new shroom link <i'm not getting paid for it> [Re: cosmicsea]
    #3894729 - 03/09/05 07:52 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

cosmicsea said:
everyone check this site out it's got some extensive listings of species and it's new i believe.

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com

WTF?!?!?

I was just about to make a post about his site and saw your post!  :grin:

I know a couple of mycologists that rate his books the best out of all the other books on the subject.

Great site. Free membership too!

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

InvisibleStymee
From here to reality.
 User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, WA Flag
    #3895303 - 03/09/05 09:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Very cool website. Thanks.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Just want to pass on a cool new shroom link <i'm not getting paid for it> [Re: ivi]
    #3896478 - 03/10/05 03:02 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ivi said:
I can't say I have heard of Roger Phillips though :blush:

Shame on you :laugh: One of my favorite nature/gastronomy authors! Check out his books, they feature the most beautiful culinary photography ever, very natural and appealing!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #3896704 - 03/10/05 07:16 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

WEll he does not list any Psilocybe species, not even in his poisonous shroom sections of his site.

He does list Galerina autumnalis but not the other two Galerina species.

Maybe they ae not in Britian.

mj

still a nice guide for edibles.

OfflineJunkaboy
Psychonaut FTW
 User Gallery

Loc: Deep within
Re: Just want to pass on a cool new shroom link <i'm not getting paid for it> [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3896711 - 03/10/05 07:23 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:
WEll he does not list any Psilocybe species, not even in his poisonous shroom sections of his site.

Maybe they ae not in Britian.

mj

Once again I am here to contradict mjshroomer. Nothing personal friend, just happened by chance =)

I did find psilocybe species in the site mentioned above.
Check the P. cubensis here:
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~6771~gid~.asp

Other psilocybe can be found here in this page:
http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/default~gid~~page~4~startPage~1~chr~p.asp

Junka

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Just want to pass on a cool new shroom link <i'm not getting paid for it> [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3896845 - 03/10/05 08:39 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:

Obviously, you weren't paying attention when you were browsing his site. Seven species of the Psilocybe genus are listed, even Cubensis which doesn't occur in the UK.

Quote:

Actually, six Galerina species are mentioned on rogersmushrooms.com. Only G. Autumnalis is listed as deadly poisonous, though.

Quote:

It definitely is. Naturally, this could have been expected from Roger Phillips. His interests have always inclined towards the edible species (plants, mushrooms), not the hallucinogenic. I don't feel, therefore, that Phillips is trying to create a complete database of all mushrooms in existence.

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

Re: Just want to pass on a cool new shroom link <i'm not getting paid for it> [Re: koraks]
    #3897462 - 03/10/05 11:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah he posts a few psilocybe's and also a panaeolus, but whats funny is he states them as "Not Edible"

Haha as if they had no value

Maybe he's a straight-laced mycologist but his cubensis photo is sweet---

peace out

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Just want to pass on a cool new shroom link <i'm not getting paid for it> [Re: Junkaboy]
    #3897975 - 03/10/05 01:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

from Rogers Guide
Well I went to the Psilocybe page of Cubensis in the roger book. He only list it as from North America and central America.

Quote:

habitat: Grows on plant material/manure

Psilocybe cubensis (Earle) Singer.
Habitat singly or in groups on horse dung or cow manure in cattle pastures. Common. Found in the Gulf Coast states and in Central America. Season nearly all year. Edibility suspect - strongly hallucinogenic, possibly poisonous. Photographed by Greg Wright.

He did not list it as growing all over the world, Australia, South and Southeast Asia (from India to Viet-Nam, Fiji, Solomon Islands, Melenesia, Africa, the Caribbean and even South America.

And Greg Wright conned me back in the late 1970s. He had his name mentioned in an article on PNW shrooms in the Sunday magazine in the Seattle Times. The writer of the article gave Greg mention in the article and listed his temp local phone number and quoted Greg as saying he "had yet to find any of the interstellar Psilocybe species he had heard about in the Seattle region."

A telephone contact and later a foray with him revealed he knew all about them. He was more interested in getting people to show them their private patches. A few weeks later after meeting him I caught in two locations on two seprate days in a single week where I asked him not to go pick. IU also gave him a couple of free spots where I said he could go anytime, buit to not go in my spot where I was allowed to go to pick. He agreed and then that agreement turned out to be a lie.

I caught on to him real fast.

Also in the article with his phone number was his offer to take people on paid forays for hunting mushrooms.

Now regarding Rogers notations of the six Psilocybes he lists for the UK.

Quote:

Psilocybe atrobrunnea
Psilocybe cubensis
Psilocybe cyanescens
Psilocybe merdaria
Psilocybe montana
Psilocybe semilanceata
Psilocybe squamosa (Pers. ex Fr.) Orton var. thrausta

Only 2 of those are psilocybian and the others are not magic and are not edibles. He lists P. cyanescens and P. semilanceata which are common in UK and Europe, yet left out close to 19 species which occur in the UK and even more in Europe as a whole.

He listed Psilocybe atrobrunnea as hallucinogenic. It is not.
He listed Psilocybe merderia as hallucinogenic. It is not.
He listed Psilocybe montana as hallucinogenic and then below says
Quote:

this species is not known to be active.

It is not.

In the next entry below he lists the name Psilocybe twice as the name of the shroom.

Quote:

Psilocybe Psilocybe squamosa (Pers. ex Fr.) Orton var. thrausta (Schultz ex Kalchb.) Lange syn. Stropharia squamosa var. thrausta (Schultz ex Kachlb.)

and then writes at the end of the page:
Quote:

Not edible, although placed in Psilocybe this fungus has been found not to be hallucinogenic.

The mushroom was removed from Strophari because it has chrysocystidia which make the species belong in the Psilocybe genera.

Another psilocybian species is Panaeous subbalteatus which we all know is not a Psilocybe.

Rogers lists several Panaeolus in his work. He also listed panaeolina foenisecii as not edible and made no mention of it as being hallucinogenic. Thank god somoeone finally realized that professionally.

However, Here are 8 listed Panaeolus species from UK and Europe in the Rogers website.

Panaeolus ater.
Lised as inedible and common in Europe. This species is hallucinogenic and he did not say so.

Panaeolus campanulatus.
Listed as inedible. Again he knew better and did not list it as a suspect because it is not.

Panaeolus retirugis.
Listed as not edible. This is a hallucionogenic species.

Panaeolus rickenii.

First he list it as edible and then at the end of the page says
Quote:

Not edible.

All Panaeolus of the manured kind have little meat in the cap and a stringy inedible stem. These mushrooms of the genera Panaeolus are never considered as edible but as LBM's

Panaeolus semiovatus.

This one is correct and listed as not edible.

Panaeolus speciosus.

He listed it as inedible and so it is.

Panaeolus sphinctrinus.
He also gives proper id to this species which for years is listed as hallucinogenic/poisonous and it is not. Thanks for this one also.

Panaeolus subbalteatus.
Rodgers also list this species as inedible. He apparently does not know of its hallucinogenic properties since he did not mention them. I say this because he did list some of the Psilocybe species as hallucinogeic so he is at least aware of them.

I find it funny that a mycologist who studies these fungi would not be aware of the 'weed' mushrooms psilocybian content. He also list it as rare, yet i have a few articles written by Roy Watling on a Panaeolus subbalteatus poisoning in Scotland and another in England, both published in the British mycological journal so I question why he did not know of the properties of this common species often refferred to as the 'weed' mushroom. It is not rare.

Next I went to the page on
Pluteus salicinus.

He has a beautiful photograph of the bluing reaction in Pluteus salicinus. Yet he list it as edible, but apparently does not know it is hallucinogenic as many of you already know.

I also noticed that he has Buy This Image posted under many of his mushroom image photos. Wonder what he charges for them.

I will forward him a copy of this message in the hopes that he will correct a few of these errors in his guide.

mj

I did look at the index of a-z buit failed to notice the page numbers at the bottom of the table on the pages. So I did not know of the other species in the letter P. That is why I thought he did not put the species in the book.

There are 21 species of magic shrooms in the United Kingdom alone. I did not count Europe which would add even more species tot he list of 21 althouogh Rodgers often refers to Europe on his website since UK is part of Europe according to history textbooks and in cartography.

mj

mj

Invisiblekoraks
    #3898315 - 03/10/05 03:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:

That's quite some info, great read, thanks!

Quote:

I also noticed that he has Buy This Image posted under many of his mushroom image photos.  Wonder what he charges for them.

So do I. I suppose those pics will come at a premium. Phillips is, after all, a respected and established photographer. And indeed, I have to admit, his photos are of great quality, both technically and aesthetically.

Quote:

I will forward him a copy of this message in the hopes that he will correct a few of these errors in his guide.

I definitely hope he will. It would greatly improve the use of his guide.

Quote:

I did look at the index of a-z buit failed to notice the page numbers at the bottom of the table on the pages.  So I did not know of the other species in the letter P.  That is why I thought he did not put the species in the book.

Yes, after posting my message, I realized that you could have missed the page numbers.

Quote:

There are 21 species of magic shrooms in the United Kingdom alone.

I don't think Phillips is aware of this, as he focuses on edible species mainly. Obviously, that's where his interests lie.

Quote:

I did not count Europe which would add even more species tot he list of 21 althouogh Rodgers often refers to Europe on his website since UK is part of Europe according to history textbooks and in cartography.

Ah, yes, but I'm not sure if many English (or Scots, Welsh and Irish) feel very 'European', if you know what I mean :wink: It's like suggesting to a Scotsman that he's English. Potentially deadly.

Thanks for your reply!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Just want to pass on a cool new shroom link <i'm not getting paid for it> [Re: koraks]
    #3898648 - 03/10/05 04:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well it turns iout that his posted contact email address is no good and not excepting mail. yahoo said it was a permanant situation.

So I will look for some other email addies and if i cannot find one I will email Roy Watling at the Royal botanical Gardens in Edinburgh for his addy.

mj

Yes his iamges are nice, but then Taylor Lockwood has the best shroom photos ever.

have a shroomy day

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3900097 - 03/10/05 09:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I noticed that his listing of Gymnopilus was not only incomplete; he also says in more than one place that some species of Gymnopilus are deadly. I think this is bullshit. I could be wrong, it happens occasionally, but I'm not aware of any deadly Gyms.

I think his page is a good resource, but he is obviously biased against active shrooms, so his opinions about them should not be trusted.

Offlinejakes
Stranger
Re: Just want to pass on a cool new shroom link <i'm not getting paid for it> [Re: shroomydan]
    #3901255 - 03/11/05 04:39 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I dont rate this guy.

For one- he dosent mention Pholitina Filaris. One of the most commonly ingested poisonout mushrooms in the UK. a lot of people mistake them for liberty caps.
He also says to regard psyilocybes as poisonous. This is just him being naive- gotta wonder if hes ever tried them.

--------------------
Jake-Blank-Head

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Just want to pass on a cool new shroom link <i'm not getting paid for it> [Re: jakes]
    #3901309 - 03/11/05 05:17 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Pholiotina filaris does not exist anymore. It has been Conocybe filaris for years.

The former name is a synonym for Conocybe filaris. And I do believe it is at his website at this URL.

http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/DisplayBlock~bid~5838~gid~.asp

mj

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

#3902161 - 03/11/05 10:57 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

WOW. Anyways I think an interesting part of john's post is that Roger probably doesn't know much or anything about psilocybin shrooms. AND.. I wonder how much he charges for an image. Anyone want to find out? well well...

Here's something to throw by you guys---

The pluteus salicinus with it's psychoactive features is interesting because I was reading where the shamans of the Amanita in siberia for instance found out about the shroom because the deer love it so much. It read that "all you have to do is crumb the shroom out and deer will follow..." So quite possibly the Deer mushroom P. cervinus
which is a relative of the psychoactive variety actually contains Deer Conciousness.

Peace out and have a nice night.

-jg

http://www.geocities.com/tampabayfinearts/shroomerypics.html

and

http://tampabay-online.org

Offlinecosmicsea
Stranger

#3902221 - 03/11/05 11:07 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yeah and Taylor Lockwood's photos are bad ass!

www.fungiphoto.com

check that s*** out

Invisiblekoraks
    #3903582 - 03/11/05 02:56 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

cosmicsea said:
yeah and Taylor Lockwood's photos are bad ass!

mj already mentioned him. Kickass pics, but he charges handsomely for them...$350 for a single print :eek:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3912569 - 03/13/05 05:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

nice mushroom website

thanks for sharing the link

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom