Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Chloride, Dehydrator, Dessicant, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBoffsun
Rev.

The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek?
    #3894106 - 03/09/05 08:10 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

So those of you who saw my last post will know that I was recently blessed with a large harvest and was at odds with how to dry the mushies. At the suggestion of Dog, I hurrily splayed them all out on a table and began to fan dry. But that was too easy. I wanted a nice little tupperware box to sit beside my TiT and PmP, and so now I propose the third sister, the BdB... hehe

ok so this is the prototype - I've already realized there are a couple big improvements that could be made.

1) use a finer screen than chicken wire - some of my smaller guys fell periliously into the dry-z-air.
2) make proper notches on the inside of the box for each shelf, on which they can rest. This should still yet make for more efficient use of space and drying area. That being said, i had plenty, and only used 3 shelves when i made 4.

I got the computer fan idea from a similar tek i saw awhile ago involving a comptuer fan blowing IN to a plastic-drawer. I TAKE NO CREDIT! Unfortunately, i can't remember where I saw it... :crazy: If anyone knows what i'm talking about, PM and i'll edit this to put credit where credit is due.

I made this whole thing for about 30$. Canadian :wink:. I know some will object that you can buy a commercial food dehydrator second hand for that, or less than that. But, this is much bigger, the parts are very very easy to find, and a hell of a lot more fun to make!  :laugh:

so this is the pic of the Boffdrybox:

The basic idea is this: A computer fan is wired up to a radioshack wall adapter, which is then installed into the lid of an airtight container. The fan is installed so that it blows OUT, drawing air from within the box. There is abunch of little holes in the bottom of the container and some desiccant. There are abunch of chicken-wire shelves in the box. When the box is sealed, the fan pulls air in through the holes at the bottom, over the desiccant which dries it out, up over the shrooms where it is rehydrated, and then out of the fan.

The computer fan i got at a computer repair shop on my street for 5$ and wired it up to an old 12volt adapter. If you don't know anything about electronics, don't worry it's really simple: cut the wires at the end of the computer fan, so that there's only two, not the big white thing that there's already. Strip the two wires so about 1 cm is exposed of each. clip off the end of the the cable coming out of the adapter, and strip those wires. 1 from the adapter goes to 1 out of the fan, and the other to the other. twist the wires together and duct tape the exposed ends. Unless the polarity is marked, you don't know which wire goes to which, so you have a 50% chance of getting it right your first try. When you plug the adapter into the wall, the fan should spin. If it doesn't you got them reversed. Make sure the voltage on the adapter matches the fan. It should be marked on each.

here's my fan wired up and installed into the lid:

Next you need to make some holes in the bottom of the container. I did mine with a screw... it was pretty hard plastic and had a tendency to crack. place them about 1/2 inch from the bottom, as they need to be just at the same level as the top of the desiccant.

making the holes:

Next fill the bottom with some desiccant. Spread it out so the top is just at the level of the holes at the bottom. I used two small bags of Dry-Z-Air (calcium chloride):

Then cut your chicken wire (or finer screen) into shelves. bend the bottoms so they sit above the desiccant, or the shelf below whatever may be the case:

Put the chicken wire in, and load each level up with shrooms!
here's a view from the top, loaded with half-dry mushies:

Then lock your lid down, plug the badboy in, and listen to the sweet hum of mushrooms drying.
I have only ran one batch through here, but it worked very well. Tonnnes of space, and my shrooms were completely dry in about 24 hours (plus the 6 they were fan-dried), and i live in a very humid environment. A rainforest in fact.  :cool:

I would really like some suggestions, and perhaps someone else could try this out too and let us know how it worked for them.
If this works out well and the mods would like me to make it a more formal Tek for the preservation section of this site, let me know.  :grin:

Happy Drying!

Boffsun

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek? [Re: Boffsun]
    #3896261 - 03/10/05 02:54 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I think the best are food dehydrators, and they cost next to nothing on ebay.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
Re: The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #3896304 - 03/10/05 03:13 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I LOVE it, and I may make one myself. (I already have a food dehydrator, but where's the fun in that?) Only thing - I've worked with desiccant before and it's messy when wet, and I swore to myself I'd rig it where I could just throw away the container next time. So I'll probably think of a way to have the air come in through a coke bottle or water bottle or beer cans or something. Then, I can put the desiccant in there & replace the cans or bottles when I replace the desiccant.

--------------------
- Mages

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.
- C.J. Cherryh

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek? [Re: Mages]
    #3896581 - 03/10/05 07:02 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

One question. Desiccant absorbs water. the bottom of my little tupperware dryer gets puddles of water in it which I dump out every other day. How are you going to get rid of all that water that all of that desiccant is going to remove? Other than that, sounds pretty good.Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony. :heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
Re: The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek? [Re: HippieChick]
    #3896669 - 03/10/05 08:40 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I think i am going to try and do that instead of getting a food dehydrator, just because if i do get a big flush, that is going to be way easier to use than a food dehydrator.

Note to Boffsun: Im going to try and make mine color cordinated, and have like neon running lights and spinners on it so it looks tight yo dog.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

Offlinegsmith
reformed lurker
    #3896683 - 03/10/05 08:58 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Good idea, but there's a flaw in the design.

You either need to get rid of the desiccant, or seal up all the holes in the box and suspend the fan inside of the box so it circulates only the air inside the box. Reason being that when you draw air from outside into the box, you're also drawing in all that moisture from the room. The air inside the box will be drier if you don't allow outside air to come in. And, as a result, your shrooms will transpire more moisture and dry faster. Trust me, a sealed box works better than a ventilated one.

I know because I've done both.

I currently use a 2&1/2 gallon bucket with a one inch layer of damp rid on the bottom. I put metal window screen on small wooden blocks just over the desiccant. I have a computer fan hanging over the screen, sucking air up towards the lid which creats a sort of convection like air current in the box. I can fill the screen with shrooms and have them cracker dry in 24 to 36 hours this way. It's the fastest heatless method i've used yet.

--------------------
------
this is a signature

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek? [Re: gsmith]
    #3896924 - 03/10/05 11:07 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Your idea works. Gsmith is correct though...would work better if the box was sealed. I understand your thinking..like I said, its right and works...just not the best..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBoffsun
Rev.

#3897280 - 03/10/05 01:18 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmm yes the wet desiccant has proved to be a potentially major flaw... I'm think if I could some how install a drawer in the bottom inwhich the desiccant would sit, it'd be really easy to change and dry... you know like those trays at the bottoms of toasters?

Gsmith - If I were to have the container be sealed and the air circulating in a closed environment, wouldn't the moisture from the shrooms quickly hydrate the air and slow down drying? I suppose that's what the desiccant is for... i'd be willing to do a couple mods and run a little experiment. I'd seal all the holes, put some tubing over the fan on the top of the box, and reconnect that back to the bottom of the box, creating a closed environment. Then I'd dry out all my desiccant, load up the box with fresh shroooms and see how long it'd take.

Think this is an improvement? I'm starting to think you're right, and it is....

thanks!

Boffsun

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3897493 - 03/10/05 01:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

a better way is to air dry them with a fan for a few days then use a container that seals well and disiccant

OfflineBoffsun
Rev.

Re: The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3897585 - 03/10/05 02:20 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Hm yes, I have no doubt that works, but I'm trying to get creative here, ok!? :P I want an all-in-one plastic box that does it all and i'm sure it can be done... I'm going to do what i mentioned in my last post and see how that goes.
oh, and btw, is it safe to eat a shroom that fell into the desiccant?

thanks again

Boffsun

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek? [Re: gsmith]
    #3897625 - 03/10/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

gsmith said:
Good idea, but there's a flaw in the design.

You either need to get rid of the desiccant, or seal up all the holes in the box and suspend the fan inside of the box so it circulates only the air inside the box.

Reason being that when you draw air from outside into the box, you're also drawing in all that moisture from the room.
The air inside the box will be drier if you don't allow outside air to come in.
And, as a result, your shrooms will transpire more moisture and dry faster.

Trust me, a sealed box works better than a ventilated one.

Exactly!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek? [Re: Roadkill]
    #3898035 - 03/10/05 03:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Since you are wanting to create hehe, I will throw in a couple ideas. You could make your holes bigger over the desiccant, say ping pong ball sized. Then you get a nylon stocking and put a little more than a ping pong balls worth of desiccant, form into a ball, and tie off stocking, cut with scissors, then wedge into holes. For drainage, you could elevate your box, cut a hole in center on the bottom, the size of a funnel. Cut a couple 5in. circles of nylon stocking and rubber cement them to your funnel cup. This is so the desiccant wont fall through. Silicon your funnel to the bottom of your tub, and put a container under it to catch the runoff. I have a similar funnel system set up on my martha type closet thing. Only I have perlite in bottom of it instead of desiccant. Same principle tho. Anyway, I like your creativeness, good luck.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

InvisibleASliceofPI
Re: The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek? [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #3898068 - 03/10/05 04:05 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

i wouldn t eat any mushroom that fell in calcium chloride.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek? [Re: ASliceofPI]
    #3898104 - 03/10/05 04:21 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The mushrooms that fell into the desiccant will be safe but may taste funny. Unless there are color changing crystals that turn blue which can contain heavy metals. I can see from your pictures your just using drierite though, so you will be ok.

Your tubing idea, sounds perfect.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineBoffsun
Rev.

Re: The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3901064 - 03/11/05 03:21 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

ok Update - Project Abandoned! I just dried my desiccant in my oven, what a F--ing mess!! and the water from it leaked through the container everywhere! ewwww

I'm buying a food dehydrator.

Listen to your elders, right? :wink: :P

Boffsun

OfflineDem_Bones
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: District of Columbia
Re: The all-new Boffdrybox prototype! - New drying box tek? [Re: ASliceofPI] * 1
    #3901110 - 03/11/05 03:57 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ASliceofPI said:
i wouldn t eat any mushroom that fell in calcium chloride.

well that can happen when you don't have science / chem education and will just make an assumption out of ignorance.
calcium chloride is a safe non-toxic salt and has many uses including as a preservative in foods. the worsting thing that could happen from eating calcium chloride is that same with most other safe salts in mass quantity 1/8 cup or more if you ingest it as a brine it will work as a laxative , if you eat it dry table spoon + you will just get very very thirsty because it will dehydrate you imagine that  :wink:

--------------------
CLICK THIS Ultimate Myco Directory v5.0
At the bottom of this page is a search bar to search all the post and threads on the forum so you can see all the other 500 people who asked the same thing.use the top search too it has shroomery approved FAQs USE IT YOU CAN DO IT !

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Calcium Chloride, Dehydrator, Dessicant, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation