Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineglassdanse
Stranger
Ego Loss
    #3889706 - 03/08/05 09:21 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

This may seem dumb, but what is exactly ego loss. what is the difference between someone who has and hasnt expereinced it

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGrizzy
Explorer of mindand matter

Loc: Bay Area, CA - USA
Re: Ego Loss [Re: glassdanse]
    #3890113 - 03/08/05 10:49 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Ego Loss...

Is when you completely do not give a crap anymore about "being tough", "looking cool", or "faking it".

It's when you realize that nothing matter but your soul, your intentions, and what you truly feel.

It's the moment when you cry and tell your girlfriend you're so sorry for having yelled at her that last fight, and how much you really love her.

Oh, and it's also the point where the "tough guys" curl up in the fetal position and become not so tough...

--------------------
"You already know everything, it's just a matter of time before you remember..."

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

Loc: Another World
Re: Ego Loss [Re: Grizzy]
    #3890134 - 03/08/05 10:52 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

hah i dunno about the first three.......but yea...during ego loss they do the last one :smile:

--------------------
:shocked: *Divine Moments of Truth* :shocked:

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
    #3890139 - 03/08/05 10:53 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Ask Erowid: I have been reading the reports of other people's experiences on LSD and am considering trying it. However, people talk about the affects it has on their 'ego' and I do not fully understand what they mean by 'ego' or the effects they describe as being 'separated' from it. I don't have anyone I can ask about this.
Quote:

Freud introduced the word ?ego? into our language around 100 years ago, and although he had something very specific in mind when he did, professionals (including psychologists and psychiatrists) and laypersons alike now use the word pretty loosely. Generally, the word ?ego? is used to refer to the sum total of all the thoughts, feelings and sensations that make up a person?s experience of his or her Self. So when I speak of my ego, I?m referring to the totality of my understanding of who I am - my overall sense of ?me?, as contrasted with everything else, that is, of ?not-me?.

It has always helped me, when thinking about the early development of our knowledge of the self or of the ego, to envision a very small baby lying on its back, moving its limbs, exploring its body and its physical environment. As babies touch their legs with their hands (for example), they have the experience both of touching (the hand) and of being touched (the leg). As they touch their blankets, they have the experience of touching, but not the experience of being touched. These two experiences are fundamentally different from one another. So we could say that ?leg? gets categorized as one kind of thing (as part of the baby?s ego, or self), and that ?blanket? is another kind of thing (that is, part of the not-self).

And so it goes, as we accumulate experiences over the course of our lives. By the time we get to be adults, most people have a pretty clear sense of self, of ego. Our sense of who we are evolves over time and eventually goes well beyond the boundaries of our physical bodies ? ego also includes more-or-less abstract concepts like ?human?, ?male?, ?joyful?, and ?sane?.

However, LSD and other entheogens, by altering our neurochemistry in the way they do, can change all that. For example, under the influence of LSD, a person might experience ?blanket? as ?me?, or ?hand? as ?not-me?. It?s not at all uncommon for explorers under the influence of LSD and other entheogens to find their strongly-held, long-standing beliefs about where the self leaves off and where the not-self begins deeply challenged. Sometimes, a person?s sense of self can disintegrate entirely ? this can be very disorienting and scary, or it can be a profoundly joyous experience. Furthermore, as the acute effects wear off, the ego gradually re-assembles itself, and the explorer is faced with the sometimes-difficult task of making sense of the experiences and insights of the altered state.

Because of these considerations, I personally believe that it?s generally a good idea for a first-timer both to be adequately prepared for the experience and to arrange to have a ?sitter?, that is, a trusted friend or professional who will be present and available throughout the experience for guidance and/or support. LSD is a very powerful agent that can expand our understanding of ourselves and of where we fit into the overall scheme of things ? and it can also be really terrifying. So it has always been my opinion (and I?m hardly alone in this!) that LSD and the other entheogens deserve enormous respect.

ShapeShifter

--------

The ego is a concept of Freud. He separated the human psyche into three forms, the Ego, the Id, and the Superego. The Id is our animal impulses. Its what drives us to seek sex, food, pleasure, etc., regardless of consequences. It is also tied to subconscious motivations for behaviors. The Superego is essentially our morality. Its what tells us what to do or not to do and alerts us to the possible consequences of our actions. The Ego is the 'self' as most people know it. It is involved with day to day decisions, interactions, basic functioning of the higher brain functions.

The Ego is what you usually encounter when you interact with someone. It is the 'me' or the 'I'. Thus someone who is egotistical is full of themselves, regarding themself as more important than others. The ego is not always one distinct 'entity'. Many of us assume different characteristics depending on whether we are interacting with friends, parents, authority figures, and so forth. These different 'masks' are all different incarnations of the same Ego, with some parts left out or suppressed. Often, intimacy comes from getting beyond these 'masks' and experiencing the true person of your significant other.

In LSD use, these concepts are similar and become quite important. In moderate to high LSD doses, one can lose this sense of self. It can be a simple matter of no longer having your 'masks' and reducing yourself to simple "being". It can also mean a complete dissolution of self and even boundaries between self and other so that one feels that one is integrated into everything. It can also sometimes mean bringing out more of the Id or Superego aspects of your unconsciousness. For some people, this can be quite disorienting and disturbing while others find it quite refreshing (after they return). When one strips away all the masks, games you play interacting with people, filters for your senses, and other tools your thinking mind uses to make sense of the world, you are often left with what seems like a more "true self". Then as you come back into reality, you reassemble your ego self and are able to see what you have been doing in life from a different perspective and can sometimes leave out or at least acknowledge whats less important to you. Thus ego-loss can be a powerful tool for self awareness and for developing insights into yourself, your mind, and your behaviors.

Now understand that these are abstract concepts, and not all people experience this or utilize the experience in a beneficial way to better themselves. Those that do have done their best to put words and metaphors onto what happens to try and make sense of it and explain why they find it useful. Some people take LSD to enjoy the visual effects and just have a good time, and there is nothing wrong with that. LSD is not for everybody, and I feel should be approached with a good deal of caution and respect. It can be quite fun, but it can also be quite dangerous when appropriate precautions arent taken. Even when fully prepared, in the right set and setting, it is possible for things to go wrong.

For more information, you may want to read up on Freud's theories, check out Aldus Huxley's Cleansing the Doors of Perception, and Stanislov Grof's LSD Psychotherapy.

Know your body, know your mind, know your substance, know your source

aloha
psilo

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

#3890157 - 03/08/05 10:56 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

full ego loss is the complete destruction of self, identity, and everything you are and have ever known, as the energy that is your soul diffuses back to the source of its creation.....

well...thats the best i could do

--------------------

"Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns - it calls me on and on across the universe" ~ John Lennon

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right" ~The Grateful Dead

"Religionists, with their guaranteed eventual paradise, of which they know nothing, taking it all on 'faith,' can't be expected to understand or sympathize with those with a yen to storm the Gate of Heaven and see for themselves what all the praying's about!" ~Robert Hunter

OfflineGrizzy

Re: Ego Loss [Re: Help on the Way]
    #3890226 - 03/08/05 11:04 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

I think when you find yourself timeless and in the presence of the universe, you as a human are irrelevant. It's you and the universe.

I posted this on the other post, perhaps it would fit more here:

Cleanse yourself. Dismiss the current program to start anew. Abandon the prior identity that's been tainted by society and find yourself again. Give rebirth to the true soul and spirit that lies within you.

Fear not the death of the ego, but look forward to the rebirth of a more true, a more YOU...ego.

--------------------
"You already know everything, it's just a matter of time before you remember..."

OfflineQuankus
keep a dreamjournal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Benicia, CA and Monterey ...
    #3890304 - 03/08/05 11:20 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

once you have experienced ego loss you will know it. you come out of the trip with so much on your mind. questioning all of which has preceded this rebirth of mind, and all that is to come. at least the first time for me, definantely changed my perception on life and shrooms and the meaning of a drug.

--------------------

CyanoFriscosa

InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery
Loc: Australia brah
Re: Ego Loss [Re: Quankus]
    #3890551 - 03/09/05 12:18 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

First you have to understand what your ego is.

Once you are born you begin to experience the world around you through your physical, bodily senses. These experiences are stored in your brain (conscious and subconscious). With every experience your understanding of reality builds and builds until you have a solid structure of belief in what reality is ("all in all, it's just another brick in the wall"). This is your ego. It is the sum of your experiences with which you identify yourSELF. You are YOU because you were born here, grew up here, know these people, and have owned or do own these physical things. No one else has had these experiences so therefore THEY ARE NOT YOU (do not share your ego).

When you acheive EGO DEATH the wall comes crashing down. You transcend your memory bank of experiances and your bodily senses. You experience the world without comparing it to what you already believe to be true. You experience the world WITHOUT first filtering it through your physical senses. In doing so you percieve the world as it truly is. Without bias, without attachment, without ignorance, you will be free to join God and partake in it's wisdom and love. Once you destroy that which has been separating you from the world, you "become one with the universe".

When the experiance ends you start from scratch. You are "Born again" as Christians call it. Now you have a chance to start over while still retaining the knowledge that you had before. This doens't mean that you are permenantly enlightened. You now have a decision to make; you can continue building your old ego (since you still have the blueprints) or you can build a new one and make it whatever you want it to be. Eventually though, the wall will become too big and it must be destroyed again or else you become ignorant and prideful. This is why jesus said that god favors the child-like.

Psychedelics are only one method of achieving ego death. Meditation, fasting, and a variety of other spiritual practices have been successfully used for millenia to reach this union with God. Pick one that works for you, but remember that which method you use is not what is important, it is the end result.

DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF IDENTIFYING GOD WITH YOUR METHOD. This only leads to ignorance and the deeper entrenchment of your ego.

This is what Christ taught. Unfortunately his message became over shadowed by indoctrination and the sins of the organized church. Now people refuse to listen to his message since "a tree is known by it's fruits". No one trusts the church, and for good reason, but every great spiritual leader has something good to say. Just listen.

------------------------------
posted by someone on here. Cant remember who though

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

OfflineBoneMan
Shrimpin ain't easy
Male

Loc: new new england
Re: Ego Loss [Re: DepthToTheCore]
    #3892585 - 03/09/05 12:03 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I'm not sure if this is a correct description of ego loss. but i've experienced it once while on nitrous..
for a minute or so i lost all connection with myself, i still had consciousness but i did not have any knowledge of who, what or where i was. there was no concept of self whatsoever, my consciousness just drifted through space looking down onto some planet. i was very startled as i was shaken back into reality and remembered who i was as the nitrous wore off.

OfflineQuankus
keep a dreamjournal
Male User Gallery

Loc: Benicia, CA and Monterey ...
Re: Ego Loss [Re: BoneMan]
    #3892635 - 03/09/05 12:15 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

one time i read on here, that you feel like your gonna die right before ego loss. i remember feeling just like that, as well as an obvious connection with God.

--------------------

CyanoFriscosa

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #3892690 - 03/09/05 12:40 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

delta9 was write to quote. And I would quote his source before I would quote anyone else in this thread.

Ego loss is hard to describe. : )

OfflineGinseng1
Elegant Universe
 User Gallery

#3892877 - 03/09/05 01:43 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Grizzy said:
I think when you find yourself timeless and in the presence of the universe, you as a human are irrelevant. It's you and the universe.

Ego vs. Universe --> ego-loss --> Universe - Ego.

Let me explain. x-b = -1
.....................b-x

Agreed?

Edited by Ginseng1 (03/09/05 01:45 PM)

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3893049 - 03/09/05 02:32 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

This is how I would describe ego loss

Ego loss is the loss of ego
ego, in this context, is the you that originates internally
when the ego is removed, the internal you is no more and the external you becomes all of you
the external you is composed of the sensations that enter into you
ego loss removes the judgment, the observation, and the ponders of the ego and allows one to fully become the sensations
they become, fully, that moment of time, and are not lost in the backward facing ego.

--------------------

InvisibleHelp on the Way
Slipknot420

#3893706 - 03/09/05 04:59 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Grizzy said:

except without the you

its just the universe

--------------------

Offlinebrowndustin
dustybuddy

Re: Ego Loss [Re: Help on the Way]
    #3893803 - 03/09/05 05:19 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

If you ever plan on trying to attain ego loss, do it in a controlled and loving environment. I experienced ego loss the hard way and absolutely could not cope with it. Peoples' immediate reactions are to usually cling to their ego (Or is it the other way around?) and fight for dear life... this makes for the utmost misery you could ever experience in a life time. If you look at the situation positively though and if it ever happened to you, the best you could do is reflect on the whole experience as I did. And this was the best and most life changing trip I've ever had. :heart:

Ego loss when you're actually trying to get there is awesome as well. You can analyze so many difference aspects of your life in so many different ways, words and explainations can't help you to fathom how great it can be. Everyone's different. Ego loss is coooool beans.

--------------------
When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

OfflineGrizzy

Re: Ego Loss [Re: browndustin]
    #3894030 - 03/09/05 05:59 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Ginseng1 - you are a genius.
Slipknot - indeed, "you" are no more, and so when I say "you" and the universe, I mean a sortof melt between, in terms of the "you" existence only referred to for the fact that you're bearing witness.

...else all is black...

--------------------

Offlineentiformatie
EvolutionaryMovements
Male
Loc: miami, florida
    #3894691 - 03/09/05 07:46 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

mmm, ego loss can be one of two things.

it can be the delusion that there is no you, or it can be the realization that there is no you.

depends on how you interpret the experience.

--------------------
/opinion
.sean

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

Re: Ego Loss [Re: Ginseng1]
    #3895852 - 03/09/05 11:28 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

:thumbup:

Offlineunearth
Stranger
Re: Ego Loss [Re: Quoiyaien]
    #3899310 - 03/10/05 06:14 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

how much on average shrooms do you have to take to achieve ego-death

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Loc: My roots in the Koots
Re: Ego Loss [Re: unearth]
    #3899345 - 03/10/05 06:20 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

There is no magic number,everyone is differerent. Some can have very intense experiences off a gram or two. But IMO I would say that Ego-loss would be at the higher doses of 3.5 and up :smile:

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom