Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetylerfred
Stranger
Probally a stupid/weird question but............ NEED HELP
    #3892465 - 03/09/05 11:29 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Hey, oK- this is probally a huge stupid newbie question, but its so dumb I havnt found my answer ANYWHERE.... so, im asking you guys:

Is it a insanley bad idea to mix 2 differnt strains of spores into 1 jar for inoculating? ... I have some tasmanians, and b+.... and Mixed just one of my jars with half a side of b+/half tasmanians.... but im just curious to see what will happen with it?..... ANY ideas, or what?

Im clueless to whether or not it will be bad or not.

--------------------
www.albinorasta.com - SICK new clothing line!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Loc: ked in a Skin Pinata
Re: Probally a stupid/weird question but............ NEED HELP [Re: tylerfred]
    #3892539 - 03/09/05 11:52 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Well, it won't be good, per se.  If both strains start colonizing your substrate, you're most likely going to have buffer areas where two strains meet and they'll both stop growing.  Not a major problem, but one that can be easily avoided next time.  :grin:

Good luck.

--------------------
In the end, my friend, we will all be together again.

Offlinetylerfred
Stranger
Re: Probally a stupid/weird question but............ NEED HELP [Re: DiMiTriSouljah]
    #3892561 - 03/09/05 11:57 AM (19 years, 14 days ago)

alright, yeah - I can see what you mean.... I just wasnt sure if that when they cake something crazy might happen and they'll blend and create a differnt type of mycellium/strain or something weird- haha.

But, if 2 strains do come in contact with eachother will they really pretty much stop growing?... or is that just a guess on a scenario your saying?

--------------------

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Loc: ked in a Skin Pinata
    #3892577 - 03/09/05 12:01 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

No, that's not a guess. But it doesn't happen every single time, either. You'll most likely have patches of substrate that aren't fully colonized because of the competing types of mycelium...this occurs naturally though (as in rhizomorphic compared to fluffy mycelium), so it's not much of a problem.

And no, you wouldn't end up with a new strain that way.

--------------------
In the end, my friend, we will all be together again.

Offlinetylerfred
Stranger
Re: Probally a stupid/weird question but............ NEED HELP [Re: DiMiTriSouljah]
    #3892605 - 03/09/05 12:08 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

ok...yeah, figured so... .I also used about 1cc of spores in each hole of my 1/2 pint jars, and it was recomended to use 1/2cc in each hole....... I just did it because I didnt want to have a ton of extra spores in my syringes, and have them go to waste.... will that help make more mycellium with more spores?.... I put the needle in the jar, and moved it around a little bit and put a tiny bit of spores in differnt areas, and did that in both holes.... SO, it does have more spores than recomeneded as well.... good/bad?

--------------------

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
    #3892642 - 03/09/05 12:17 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

1cc split four ways into one jar is about perfect. Putting 4cc split four ways would change the water content... slightly. It will probably grow just wonderful anyway.

The syringe will deposit many many spores even with very small amounts, the real factor I think is water content. If you put a whole syringe in one jar it would probably be too wet.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3892647 - 03/09/05 12:19 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Im pretty sure that you are wrong. The stronger of the two will dominate the culture.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinetylerfred
Stranger
Re: Probally a stupid/weird question but............ NEED HELP [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3892705 - 03/09/05 12:43 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

my first thought would be that the stronger strain may dominate... but im cluess, so dont know...might be the case though...?

also, Another dumb questions........... All my jars are in the same box right now incoluating... there is 1 of them that I didnt mark with a pen to distinguise that it is a tasmanian, and not b+..... do you think I will be able to tell the differnces in looking at the cakes/color or whatever when they are done?

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3892708 - 03/09/05 12:45 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Depends on the difference. If they both germinate at the same time, they'll end up coexisting. The myceliums dont really take eachother over well. They just kind of work independently. If they colonize equally as fast, you should have a half and half cake. If one was from fresher spores, or had some better spores, or is just a quicker stronger strain though it would dominate most of the cake. Kinda like how this jar was left with green mold and mycelium that looked just like this for about a month and nothing took anything over, the green kept producing spores and the mycelium kept doing its thing:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3892716 - 03/09/05 12:47 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Yeah you could research the photos here and make an educated guess as to which is which.

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Probally a stupid/weird question but............ NEED HELP [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3892726 - 03/09/05 12:49 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

I love waching the micro bio wars, i let them grow too, untill i need the jar.

--------------------

Offlinetylerfred
Stranger
    #3892765 - 03/09/05 01:04 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

alright... well, i worded that weird- What I wanted to know is....
Do mycellium of differnt strains look differnt?- or are they all just white and the same looking?... I need to try to distinguise the differnce between my b+ and tasmanian so I wont mix the 2 in a tray when it comes time.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3892777 - 03/09/05 01:08 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

You distinguish the two by writing what strain it is on the top of it. You cant tell the difference once you mix them all up.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Offlinetylerfred
Stranger
    #3892780 - 03/09/05 01:09 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

ok... .so, i guess im only f'd on the one jar.... oh well

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3892791 - 03/09/05 01:11 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

I also mean, once you mix the jars together...if you didnt label them when you inoculated them and put them all mixed together in the incubator, there is no way to distinguish them really.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3892824 - 03/09/05 01:20 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

tylerfred said:
ok... .so, i guess im only f'd on the one jar.... oh well

No your not, just do many one quart casings.

Or whatever just dont mix the unknown jar with anything else.

--------------------

Edited by Psychoslut (03/09/05 01:21 PM)

Offlinetylerfred
Stranger
    #3893001 - 03/09/05 02:20 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Good plan!

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3893061 - 03/09/05 02:35 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Unless Anno gets back to us on my plasmogamy question, there could be expiriments needed.  :ooo: :wink:

--------------------

Offlinebounceproof
freefaller

Loc: Florida
    #3893156 - 03/09/05 03:00 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

i tried to mix 2 diff strains about 6 months ago in a casing. Really had a significant drop in yields. Was just a test before I found this website. Would not recommend.

--------------------
<one foot over the edge and i think i like it>

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Probally a stupid/weird question but............ NEED HELP [Re: bounceproof]
    #3893184 - 03/09/05 03:07 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

I know this.

Thats not the point though, Id like to know if two different strains of the same species will fuse together at the hyphal point or whatever anno said in my plasmogamy thread.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder