Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Teachings of Buddha and Jesus Christ - The Fundemental Differences.... . . . .
    #3885966 - 03/08/05 02:58 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

The Differences Between the Teachings of :japsmile: Buddha   and :heartpump: Jesus Christ :sun:....

OK, I didn't want to take the original "Heart Mandala" thread "off-topic", so I started this thread for you....  I hope Benwa does not mind that I am using his (publically posted) words for my starting point....  :wink: :heart: 

Quote:

A post by: "Benwa" from Egghead's "Heart Mandala" thread said:
What radical differences are you talking about.  I'm not being rude.  Its just when I see them, I see many similarities. 

And if you shift a perspective on the teachings you can see similarities.  Jesus preached loving your enemy which seems impossible.  But buddha would say that you have no enemy, the idea of a enemy is an illusion and only exists in your mind.  Coming from that approach it becomes very easy to understand how one can love an "enemy".

To my understanding the way I have perceived it, and how you said this....    Jesus Christ "preached", or better said, SHARED with others his thoughts on how EVERYONE should be ALL loved and loving to all others, Equally....  For if one is to show;  compassion, understanding, and love for thine enemy, one would most certainly have to love one's friends as well....    A win win situation, or a "the glass is completely full" metaphor(is this the right word...?) 

With Buddha, it **seems** like ha also shared with others that wished to listen on how a controlled mindfullness and selflessly speaking, there is no enemy except for in the mind because everyone is indeed equal....    Almost a "The glass is completely NOT empty" kinda~ way of thinking....

Both share the same fundemental teaching from both Jesus Christ and Buddha, just that Buddha seems like he more spoke from a self disciplined side from a "right/wrong" viewpoint, whereas Jesus Christ more spoke from a heartfilled loving kinda~ way of thinking, with "good/evil"....  Most all of the other shades of gray are similar in teaching, I just have never heard a Buddhist speak about the heart, it *seems to be all about "mindfullness", with controlling one's emotions to be THE key....  Whereas Jesus spoke about expounding one's emotions of a positive nature, and sharing the bright heart filled love emotions to all to be the KEY....    Perhaps, even with "special" considerations to those that do need more love to take that darkness away.... 

Pehaps Jesus's way would even merit going out of one's way in an act of selflessness from the heart to "help" someone in need....  Does the Buddist way also share in this aspect of "going out of the way for people in need" as a way of thinking....?

So if I break down what I have said....:
Buddha = Self control of ALL emotions, mindfullness of others, no enemies, selflessness, right vs. wrong, strict self disciplined, and understaning in a mindful Logical way without emotion....

Jesus Christ = Self control of all NEGATIVE emotios, mindfullness to others, selflessness, good vs. evil, and understanding in a mindful Loving way, with full emotions burning bright with intent for all to see - in hopes that this little "leap of emotive selflessness" in sharing one's love light will spark more fires(of positive emotional intent)....

Both have very common ground in fundemental terms, but differ in how one allows him/herself self to express emotion....  For Buddha, a total control of emotions, and for Jesus, a more focused control of emotions.... 

Both of them have a very similar outlook and result from a personal standpoint, they just seem to very in the emotional department as others may perceive it....  Both are disciplines that would warrent a feeling of acheivement once a certain level of selflessness are reached, just ***pehaps*** a Buddhist would not allow one's self to self reflect on an emotional level of one's own acheivement....  Perhaps the teachings of Buddha lacked a showing of compassion and even passion itself as to not let those emotions be controling over one's self....? 

Perhaps it was even mistaken by Buddha to teach that one should embrace those positive emotions and let them spread, because those kind of emotions are from the heart as opposed to the mind(fullness)....  I *personally* just don't see how one could not act on, or embrace positive emotions....  The discipline seems *should* be more focused on understand the negative intents of others as to help them understand as well....  If one were open to such critisisms of one's faults.... 

Possibly....?  Eeehhhhh....?  Am I right or am I wrong....?    Just an observation that I am noticing, with a lot of ME reading into it....    I certainly do not claim to know for sure, it is just my perception as I have understood it....    I said what I said, now I will see for my corrections as others see it so I can better understand my mistakes in perception....  If I am wrong on ANY of this, PLEASE do speak up....    I am here to learn and understand....  :smile:  :heart:

ME....

:heartpump::heartpump:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: Teachings of Buddha and Jesus Christ - The Fundemental Differences.... . . . . [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3888503 - 03/08/05 05:02 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

The message you say Jesus spread is the one spread by the church, not him. The only thing Jesus said was, spread God's kingdom. He wasn't speaking to the globe, he was speaking to Jews only.

I think (personal interpretation) annulling emotions has nothing to do with buddhism.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Re: Teachings of Buddha and Jesus Christ - The Fundemental Differences.... . . . . [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3889378 - 03/08/05 07:41 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

what makes you think Jesus was'nt speaking to the globe? the fact the he teached and performed miracles for the non jews was one of the things he is most famous for..

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Teachings of Buddha and Jesus Christ - The Fundemental Differences.... . . . . [Re: JCoke]
    #3889500 - 03/08/05 08:34 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

The emotions we have toward other people, be them positive or negative, are not congruent with reality in that the feelings carry an implicit sense of seperateness between the one who is feeling and the one who is felt for. Shantideva said "Compassion mixed with emotion is like nectar mixed with spoiled wine: it is delusion. Passionate minds are unruly; do not trust them." In many of his teachings, Buddha underlined this point, but still promoted the cultivation of compassion and empathy, which in their rudamentary stages are emotions. This is because it's compassion and empathy which function to undermine self-importance and ultimately the illusion of self-segregation.

Jesus Christ taught the same path, except that he did not emphasize the points about the interconnectivity of living beings in the same intellectual way that Buddha did. Christ's approach was much more subtle, saying such things as "Verily I say unto you, the rain falls on the good and the evil, the just and the unjust alike." Many times, Jesus' words blurred the distinction between living beings, but he did not highlight this point directly, or teach a structured means of actualizing that insight. Nonetheless, his teachings on empathy and compassion, if put into practice, accomplish the same goal.

In this way, Christ's teachings and Buddha's teachings are essentially the same. The difference is that they emphasize different facets of the same basic wisdom. If put into practice, the teachings of Christ as much as those of Buddha have the power to transform our mind and heart, and our life.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Teachings of Buddha and Jesus Christ - The Fundemental Differences.... . . . . [Re: JCoke]
    #3889587 - 03/08/05 08:55 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

JCoke said:
what makes you think Jesus was'nt speaking to the globe? the fact the he teached and performed miracles for the non jews was one of the things he is most famous for..

Just backing up Alan Stone... but it wasn't till Saul (later I believe he changed his name to Paul) started spreading the word of christianity till it left it's ethnic boundary. It was originally a designer label religion that didn't hit it off too well with it's "targeted consumer". It's false, as far as what you said, Christianity was originally a ethnocentric religion, and it's beliefs became adapted to support all ethnicities. If you still read throught the bible, they're are still many signs of the inherent ethnocentric design that still haven't been corrected.

The book "The Lucifer Principle" details this subject very well, If you want I can get more information about it.

[Sorry, not trying to derail the original topic]

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Re: Teachings of Buddha and Jesus Christ - The Fundemental Differences.... . . . . [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3891267 - 03/09/05 03:00 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

sorry for going off topic phatomcat, but alan, pyschoactive, how do you explain what Jesus meant when he said:

Matthew 28:

18Then Jesus came to them and said, ?All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.?

?

i think, and i see it alot here at the shroomery, is people want to see jesus as a good moral teacher, and a wise man, they want to see him as they see buddha, but that's really missing the whole point of who jesus was, he is God on earth, that is the gospel=the good news..

look it, this it how it goes here..

("religion" defined as with god(s) and distination of the soul after death and "philosophy" defined as wisdom, a tool to apply to your life)

buddha = philosophy
jesus = religion with philosophy

people seem to want to knock off the religion part of what jesus taught and have it just a philosophy, i think it should be the other way around, we should add the religion to what buddha taught.

"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher.

He would either be a lunatic--on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg--or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice.

Either this man was, and is, the Son of God; or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon, or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come away with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." (CS Lewis, Mere Christianity )

"It's false, as far as what you said,"

Paul was a teacher to the gentiles, yes, but that's what Jesus "called" him to do, what i said was true, jesus being a friend of romans and the non jews is big part of the gospels..what did i say that was false??

Edited by JCoke (03/09/05 03:55 AM)

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

#3891828 - 03/09/05 08:41 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

what makes you think Jesus was'nt speaking to the globe?

For one, he had no way of knowing about the globe. Secondly, no Jewish prophet ever taught non-Jews. Since Jesus is compared to Moses in the Gospel (going out into the desert for forty days), it is clear the people writing the Gospels meant to indicate that Jesus was talking to Jews.

It's impossible to grasp the Gospel with a contemporary mind. It wasn't written in a time with global news, multi-ethnicity and civil rights.

Quote:

the fact the he teached and performed miracles for the non jews was one of the things he is most famous for..

So the legend is actually the real person? Find me a Gospel reference claiming he taught non-Jews and I'll believe you.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3891836 - 03/09/05 08:45 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

This is a matter of perspective.

Matthew's perspective was the most religiously slanted of all the gospels. And CS Lewis is hardly qualified as a representative of Jesus Christ and his intentions. His perspective is.. well.. a bit narrow.

Jesus was embedded in a heavily religious, fiercely monotheistic culture. He spoke that language when he gave his teachings. He was a truly divine man who arose from a society where religious law was of tremndous significance. It's because of this that he relayed his divine experience and his divine insight using religious terminology, and it's because of this that his life was documented using legalistic terms. Jesus Christ did not teach an authoritative system of thought.

The dogma that's come out of Christ's teachings has made those teachings less meaningful and less accessible. By removing Christ's life and teachings from this dogmatic context, we do not patronize Christ in the way that CS Lewis suggests. Instead, we fulfil Christ's ultimate intention: enhancing the accessibility of his teachings as much as is possible. So long as we perceive Christ and his teachings as being high up on a dogmatic pedestal, nobody will be able to truly embrace him or his insight. So long as Christ is up on a that pedestal, Christians will be hypocrites, and non-Christians will continue to taste bitterness whenever Christ or his teachings are mentioned. It is not a helpful perspective.

Jesus Christ was the Son of God only in as much as his surrounding culture afforded him that expression. That expression is understood only in concordance with our own notions about God and how the universe is organized. More important than the poetics of his life are the meaning and importance of his teachings.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

#3891899 - 03/09/05 09:04 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Matthew 28:

18Then Jesus came to them and said, &#8220;All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.&#8221;

That's only one of the accounts. Another one is in Mark 16,14-17 (translated from Dutch to English by me):

Quote:

Later that day Jesus appeared to the eleven disciples, while they were eating. He scorned them for being irreverent and thick skulled. For they did not believe the people that had seem him after his resurrection. Then he told them, "Travel the whole world and tell the good news to everybody. He who believes and is baptised shall be saved, yet those who refuse shall be condemned."

Anyway, what I believe is the words 'all nations' are meant to signify all semite nations at that time. To "obey everything I have commanded you" is to obey God. His own purpose was to spread the kingdom of God, i.e. to bring back religion that is based on friendship with the deity instead of subordination. See Mark 3, 31-35 and Luke 4, 43-44. Note to go with Luke 4, 43-44: 'to obey God' is akin to doing what a friend asks of you. It should be done out of love, not out of fear.

Quote:

Paul was a teacher to the gentiles, yes, but that's what Jesus "called" him to do

Jesus had been dead for some 300 years by the time Paul started preaching.

--------------------

- Aristotle

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Teachings of Buddha and Jesus Christ - The Fundemental Differences.... . . . . [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3892064 - 03/09/05 09:47 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Nonetheless, obediance, whether it be out of kinship or fear, is not transformitive. Jesus taught a means of transformation, of coming into communion with God. To suggest that the backbone of his teachings was to obey and to command others to obey, whether it be out of kinship or fear, is not consistent with the rest of Christ's teachings. Christ was a rebel and a thinker, and although he recognized his communion with all other living beings, he possessed an extremely vigilant and independent mind. If we are to emulate him in the way that he recommends, simple obedience is not going to bring us any closer to him, to God, or to heaven.

I'll reiterate that Christ's teachings were spoken in the language afforded to him by the fiercely legalistic culture in which he was totally immersed, and the documentation of those teachings was subject to the same dogmatic influence charactersitic of a hierarchical, monotheistic society. I think it's important not to confuse Christ's teachings with the context in which they were first expounded. That means depedestalizing Christ, and asking the familiar question: "What if God were one of us?". Some might see that as disrespecting him. But since Christ's depedestalization accomplishes his ultimate goal of enusring that his teachings are accessible to everyone, it makes more sense to see his depedestalization as the highest possible exaltation. After all, the supreme offering to any teacher is to put his teachings into practice.

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #3892148 - 03/09/05 10:05 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Good point Ped, but that is only if you are of the belief that Jesus did in fact exist. Some scholars think that he didn't: http://www.nobeliefs.com/exist.htm

/gets his book (As he isn't versed in the bible)

Quotes written from the Book, (a historical perspective) will not provide index commentary (unless requested):

You can see the gene-free god unfolding in the days of the New Testament. Jesus was a Jew, and all available evidence indicates that, like the other Jews of his time, he felt his god was a genetic one. The only people to whom Jesus preached were other Jews, and they alone were the folks to whom his god and his DNA were attached. When Jesus was crucified, most of his disciples followed in his footsteps, trying to convince Jews that Jesus was, indeed, the Messiah. (190) Like the tribal god he served, a Messiah would aid only the people who carried the chosen genes. (191)

Then, after his death, Jesus acquired a new kind of apostle. The orininal followers of the carpenter from Nazareth has been a simple people from the hills of Galilee, poor backwoods folk with only the most rudimentary education. The figure who would transform Christianity was a city sophisticate with a university education.

His name was Saul. He knew aspects of the world the original disciples had never dreamed of. He had grown up in the cosmopolis of Tarsus, a bustling center of trade where men from all over the vast Toman Empire did business. Saul's father, though Jewish, had been a Roman citizen. Saul had been educated in Israel's greatest urban center, Jerusalem, and he spoke the language of international high culture--Greek.

Saul was a Johnny-come-lately to the teachings of Jesus. He didn't even get involved until after Christ was dead. When Saul first heard of redneck sect, he was so infuriated that he organized squads of vigilantes, broke into the homes of Chrisian Jerusalemites, and hauled the inhabitants off to prison. Then Saul volunteered to bust up a community of Chrisians in Damascus. But on the road to the northern city, Saul had a strange experience. He felt enveloped in light. He heard the voice of Jesus, the deceased leader whose views he so deplored. Saul beocme Saint Paul and dubbed himself the newest of Jesus' apostles; then the freshly minted holy man went off to win others to his idiosyncratic notions of what Jesus' teachings were all about.

The community of Jesus's followers does not seem to have welcomed Paul's posthumous reinterpretation of their leader's ideas with open arms. They probably regarded him with suspicion. With his big city ways and complex ideas, he was anything but their rustic kind. Finally, the self-styled apostle, in exasperation, decided that if he couldn't dig up followers among the Jews, he'd turn elsewhere. (192) Thus, Paul began a vigorous campaing to win over "the gentiles" --citified Greeks, Romans, Anatolians, Sicilians, Spaniards, and others whose urbane views were more congenial to his own. (193) In the process, Paul was one of the early innovators of a new concept: transferable religion. He broke free of the old notion that a god was an emblem of tribal heritage and sliced the ties that bound divinity to genes.

Paul was not the first to free gods from chromosomal components. Buddha had done the same over five hundred years earlier. But Paul was among the most influential ever to apply the idea. Thanks to Paul, the Christian meme would eventually sweep together an awesome jumble of genes. Dark-haired Greek and Roman genes; blue-eyed, blon Scandinavian genes; red-headed Irish genes; russet-skinned American Indian genes; black-complected African genes; and eve the occasional Chinese and Japanese genes. Folks whose genetic coils were dramatically distinct would find themselves yoked together by a common thread. That intangible tie was a meme.

Under Paul, (194) beliefs became the focal points for movements that, freed of genetic anchors, could sweep across the face of the world, gathering humans of all kinds within their grasp. For when Paul seperated genes and gods, he helped unleash a force that would bring together superorgansimic groupings on a scale the world had never seen. He helped make the meme the world's most powerful form of replicator.

Nineteenth-century psychologist William James once said that Saint Paul was a biological "failure because he was beheaded." Paul had no children. His genes simply ceased to be. "Yet," said James, Saint Paul "was magnificently adapted to the larger environment of history." For history is no longer the sole province of the gene. History is the environment of the meme.

Edit:
Sorry PhanTomCat, not trying to derail the topic, just providing evidence.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (03/09/05 12:18 PM)

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Re: Teachings of Buddha and Jesus Christ - The Fundemental Differences.... . . . . [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3893323 - 03/09/05 03:40 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Alan Stone said:

Quote:

the fact the he teached and performed miracles for the non jews was one of the things he is most famous for..

So the legend is actually the real person? Find me a Gospel reference claiming he taught non-Jews and I'll believe you.

the woman at the well, John 4:1-26

"You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews."<--- i'm curious, what does he mean to you when he says salvation is from the jews?

the Roman Centurion, Matthew 8:5-13

there's some more i believe...

Jesus told his apostles that he will send down to them the holy spirit after he returns to the father, that would happen in acts called the "pentacost", so acts, which is the a book of the apostles preaching to the world (the known world atleast) which would include jews and gentiles..

Acts 28:28
?Therefore I want you to know that God's salvation has been sent to the Gentiles, and they will listen!?

Quote:

Alan Stone said:

Jesus had been dead for some 300 years by the time Paul started preaching. .

paul met and knew the apostles of jesus, where does this 300 years come from??

--------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #3893455 - 03/09/05 04:11 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Look to the link I provided, nobody in any historical concept met Jesus as proven beyond anecdotal evidence, nor has anyone in the supposed time period of his birth (nor his death) has any evidence that indeed correlates his actual existance.

Quote:

Epistles of Paul: Paul's biblical letters (epistles) serve as the oldest surviving Christian texts, written probably around 60 C.E. Most scholars have little reason to doubt that Paul wrote some of them himself. However, there occurs not a single instance in all of Paul's writings that he ever meets or sees an earthly Jesus, nor does he give any reference to Jesus' life on earth. Therefore, all accounts about a Jesus could only have come from other believers or his imagination. Hearsay. [

Also another thing to note: Their are many instances also provided by the link of historical significance which shows that some of the good ol' book has been doctored... and the authors themselves admit to it.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Teachings of Buddha and Jesus Christ - The Fundemental Differences.... . . . . [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3893714 - 03/09/05 05:02 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

The following are pertinent pages from Toward The One.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #3893871 - 03/09/05 05:30 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

JC was a fish, wine, olive oil and bread kind-of-guy (pseudo-Mediteranean diet) whereas Buddha was into rice and macrobiotics.

JC liked sandals, Buddha went barefoot.

Buddha admitted he had many babes before becoming celibate. JC was more sly about his encounters.

JC was into facial hair (and Rock Operas), the Buddha was clean-shaven and preferred a bamboo flute.

Hope this helps.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Teachings of Buddha and Jesus Christ - The Fundemental Differences.... . . . . [Re: Swami]
    #3893953 - 03/09/05 05:49 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Swami, you believe JC exists although their is no historical evidence?

I can make up evidence of a man that didn't even exist and write stories, and distribute memes all about him (say originating in 1867). Yet, he couldn't be proven to have existed, or to not have existed. Anyone can make up evidence up after the fact. But if history doesn't correlate.... what are you going to believe?

/sigh

"mysterious ways"

Edit:
Another thing to note; Jesus is often depicted as having european features... where in fact he wouldn't resemble many of the european characteristics.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3895301 - 03/09/05 09:42 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Nonsense. People of all walks became Jews through ritual circumcision and religious training. Genetics were entirely unknown and the issue was membership in the tribes of Israel - those people who held a covenant with YHVH and who set themselves apart from other Semitic and non-Semitic peoples through ritual, diet, language and religious belief in One GOD. It was, and still is, in the truest sense of being Jewish, a completely spiritual enterprise manifested in temporal affairs. Judaism is a 'historical' religion as opposed to a 'cosmic' religion such as Buddhism. Christianity attempted to be 'catholic' in the true meaning of the word which is 'universal,' but has pretty much failed in its effort because it has failed to see the universal and invisible spirit as the essence of universal Truth and instead has tried to make its outer form prevail over everyone else through imperialism.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3895955 - 03/09/05 11:49 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

JCoke said:
buddha = philosophy + Self Discipline
jesus = religion with philosophy + Self Discipline

(I had to add that)

The Bible is reference to help find out what is "right and wrong" in most of the many different situations in life....  It is a reference book for those in question of good and evil, and why....  It is also to help people remember....  The people that wrote the Bible did not do it for themselves, nor for fame or fortune....  They did it for ALL, and they did it out of positive selfless intentions of spreading a word that was greater than them....    They speak of God, and others spreading the word of God, and the good deeds done out of selflessness to help people find Truth....  With Truth comes Love, an unspeakable Joy, and a "Peace" that is beyond understanding....  :heart:

It is thru the strong Memories that the stories of Jesus and God lived on....  One's Memory is the only thing that cannot be forgotten (unless ya~ get hit in the head)....  All memories live thru us, as the past events of life are taught for a reason....    For the sharing of knowledge of what man has learned before now.... 

It makes me wonder about Buddah and his teachings....  He had to have some kind of "realization" in getting his wisdom....  My direct question to Buddha would be, "Did you (Buddha) not get ALL of the knowledge you were supposed to get, or did you indeed get it all and CHOOSE not to pass it ALL on....?"    Is there any instruction in his teachings of how to use any of one's emotions for "good"....?    Anything writen about Love....?

Questions....  What is the "common" book named that Buddhists study from...?  What is Buddha's first(or last) name....?

ME....

:heartpump::heartpump:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3895998 - 03/09/05 11:57 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

>> Questions.... What is the "common" book named that Buddhists study from...? What is Buddha's first(or last) name....?

I suppose the closest book to a Buddhist Bible would be the Dhammapada. It's not really the same, though. Buddhist teachings are always in a state of flux, and new teachers are always creating new texts to keep the Dharma up-to-date and in context with changing circumstances.

Buddha's birth name was Siddhartha Gautama. After his enlightenment, he was called Gautama Buddha. Later, it was shortened to simply "Buddha".

Buddha means "Awakened One", while Christ means "Annointed One." Fitting, don't ya think?

--------------------

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Re: Teachings of Buddha and Jesus Christ - The Fundemental Differences.... . . . . [Re: Ped]
    #3896104 - 03/10/05 12:17 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

http://www.bede.org.uk/Josephus.htm

this is the earliest historical acount of jesus i could find right now.

Josephus was born after jesus's death, so it's still second hand acount, (if jesus was born 1 AD)

also, like to note that in that link seems to sopport the idea of jesus only reaching for the jews and the conversion of the gentiles came with paul.. oh well, whatever.. :shrug:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order