Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

War, Soldiers, Fuck Ups, and Craziness
    #3891641 - 03/09/05 09:10 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

So i don't know if you know all about the matter concerning the issue in Italy right now, but to put it short, a member of the italian government who has helping to free an italian hostage, got killed and their is supposedly american responsibility in this. The italians say that the americans gave infomation to the iraqis on the hostage's location etc...
Basically the Italian govenment is pissed at the American government, and they are talking about removing their troops from Irak.

Now this military fuck up gets media attention only because Occidentals are concerned and are victims of it. This guy from italy was unknown prior to this event, and now he is a hero.

So a TV reporter said something that really struck me today concerning all of this, he said that we are only concerned with military fuck ups when the victims are occidentals! Shit! Imagine how the Iraqis must feel since practically all of the victims of this huge military fuck up are Iraqis!

But anyways, the reporter continued by saying that we shouldn't forget that recently, an american soldier was arrested for killing 30 civilians in less than 48 hours, and this fuck up went practically unnoticed by the media. Now THAT's craziness.

This kind of craziness happens commonly during wars (Vietnam for example), and it seems that the public forgets that soldiers go crazy in war-like conditions. The "Boys", as americans like to call them, seem to be so good and pure in the general opinion, when the truth is that they become killing machines.

I don't really know what i'm trying to say, some stupid shit probably. All i know is that war has so many negative consequences, going from the psychological issues that take place in a soldier's mind to the hostile international relations that it creates, that it is so incomprehensible to me how such a large part of the american population is STILL in favor of the war. Its really disheartening, and a little disgusting  :sad:.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: War, Soldiers, Fuck Ups, and Craziness [Re: exclusive58]
    #3891689 - 03/09/05 09:38 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You're absolutely right about fuck ups and crazyness. It's part of war, and part of the reason that I opposed the war before it occured.

But, there have been both good and bad consequences of this war so far. Iraq is much more a hotbed of terrorist training and recruitment than it was before the war, and the war has so far been a great public relations windfall for the extreme anti-American Islamic factions across the Muslim world. However, there have been democratic elections in Iraq, with good participation in most areas of the country.

These elections combined with the presense of an aggressive US power in the region have a political impact beyond the borders of Iraq. For example, the Lebanese people might not have stood up to the Syrians, or the Syrians might have responded violently, without the Americans next door. Also, the decision in Egypt to allow an opposition candidate in presidential elections might be a response to an increased demand for democracy in the country in response to democracy in Iraq.

Also, our relations with our allies, which were upset by the almost unilateral decision to go to war, are settling now.

So, I don't think the Iraq war has proven to be wholly bad yet.

In any case, the troops are there, and can't easily be extricated without leaving the region in a mess. It's important to try to minimize the bad-crazyness of the soldiers, but at the same they are under constant threat from terrorists that are hard to distinguiwh from the rest of the population.

Fuck, I don't know. At this point, opposing the war is pointless. If it drags on and gets worse, who knows?

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: War, Soldiers, Fuck Ups, and Craziness [Re: phi1618]
    #3891751 - 03/09/05 10:08 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ya you're right, there is no way of knowing if the consequences of the war are negative or positive in the absolute. It seems that in short term the consequences are negative, but maybe in the long term they'll be positive. Time will tell.

I agree with what you're saying conerning other population's demand for democracy like the Lebanese, maybe these other populations see that they can finally unite and protest against the power at place without being crushed by it. But many other factors come into play concerning this, its not only due to american presence in Iraq.

However, concerning the terrorists, i still hold on to the image i have of them, which is the image of that dragon/snake in the Greek mythology, which Hercules tries to kill by cutting its head off, but each time he cut a head off, two other heads appeared, until Hercules was facing a monster with 16 heads. (i wonder how he finally kills the monster?)

War on terror is really stupid IMO, war is terror! that's part of the contradictary terms that the Bush administration likes to use to confuse its population, its just stupid and senseless.

And also, concerning the relations with your allies, it might look like it has settled down on the surface (like presidents shaking hands and smiling), but i can tell you that on the inside, opinions on America in the world has taken a real bad blow.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3892115 - 03/09/05 11:56 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

recently, an american soldier was arrested for killing 30 civilians in less than 48 hours, and this fuck up went practically unnoticed by the media.

Considdering the hullabaloo over Abu Graib I'd be surprised if there were no coverage of this if he is convicted.

--------------------

InvisibleGabbaDj
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #3892177 - 03/09/05 12:11 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I thought that it was Americans who shot the man at a check point.

This man is a hero who worked on negotiations to free a journalist. After everything was said and done he is greeted with being shot by Americans at a checkpoint.

Sounds fishy to me.. I mean, I cant believe that the driver of the car didnt follow procedure at the checkpoint. So why would Americans shoot up a car at a checkpoint unless they knew what they were shooting?

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG          C8.com                    http://www.beatsopjefiets.com/   

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
    #3892285 - 03/09/05 12:43 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
The "Boys", as americans like to call them, seem to be so good and pure in the general opinion, when the truth is that they become killing machines.

:cuckoo:
Well the truth is that the "Boys" are in fact in the military.
The "killing machines" are just doing their job, they are soldiers, that's what they do (kill). :laser: :machinegun: :rockets: :sniper: :usa:

Italian media suggest a ransom was paid for her release, but government officials are not commenting on the reports. The Italian government has paid ransoms to free other hostages in the past.

Nothing to heroic coming from a country that pays ransoms to terrorists(financing further terror so they can also abduct more Italians for more money). :thumbdown:

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: War, Soldiers, Fuck Ups, and Craziness [Re: California]
    #3892302 - 03/09/05 12:47 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

You guys ever read that Donald Rumsfield outlawed cellphones + cameras in Iraq for military personnel shortly after Abu Ghraib?

Damage control  :crazy:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: War, Soldiers, Fuck Ups, and Craziness [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3892774 - 03/09/05 03:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
You guys ever read that Donald Rumsfield outlawed cellphones + cameras in Iraq for military personnel shortly after Abu Ghraib?

Damage control  :crazy:

word

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: War, Soldiers, Fuck Ups, and Craziness [Re: GabbaDj]
    #3892787 - 03/09/05 03:10 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

GabbaDj said:
I thought that it was Americans who shot the man at a check point.

This man is a hero who worked on negotiations to free a journalist.  After everything was said and done he is greeted with being shot by Americans at a checkpoint.

Sounds fishy to me..  I mean, I cant believe that the driver of the car didnt follow procedure at the checkpoint.  So why would Americans shoot up a car at a checkpoint unless they knew what they were shooting?

ya, i you're right, my post was a  bit off concerning this.
and also, i don't think they always know what they are shooting at  :smirk:

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: War, Soldiers, Fuck Ups, and Craziness [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3892807 - 03/09/05 03:15 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
recently, an american soldier was arrested for killing 30 civilians in less than 48 hours, and this fuck up went practically unnoticed by the media.

Considdering the hullabaloo over Abu Graib I'd be surprised if there were no coverage of this if he is convicted.

There was good proof for the Abu Graib fuck up, whereas in this case you won't see a picture of 30 bodies piled up, so it makes it alot easier to  shush out and go unseen and unheard of.

but that was obvious anyway... :rolleyes:

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#3892881 - 03/09/05 03:44 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Sounds fishy to me.. I mean, I cant believe that the driver of the car didnt follow procedure at the checkpoint. So why would Americans shoot up a car at a checkpoint unless they knew what they were shooting?

I think the soldiers were probably wired, afraid of a carbomb.
Here are some other checkpoint shootings over the past couple of years:
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/newssummary/s_291488.html
http://news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=404&id=774902004
http://www.ccmep.org/2003_articles/Iraq/040203_civilian_deaths_rock_campaign.htm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/dailybriefing/story/0,12965,927233,00.html
http://www.infowars.com/articles/iraq/us_troops_kill_parents_in_front_of_kids.htm

Of course, most past news articles aren't accessable through the web.

OfflineNuperSova
Stranger
    #3892934 - 03/09/05 04:02 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:

But anyways, the reporter continued by saying that we shouldn't forget that recently, an american soldier was arrested for killing 30 civilians in less than 48 hours,

I tried searching to find an article on this, can you or someone direct me to a link. I hate that things like this happen and the media doesn't cover it...

--------------------
I Refuse To Say I'm Lost Just Because I Don't Know Where I Am

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: War, Soldiers, Fuck Ups, and Craziness [Re: NuperSova]
    #3893212 - 03/09/05 05:13 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

ohboy, LOTS of things happen that the media doesn't cover. they know they'd lose audience if they informed everyone how many iraqis got killed each day. it would just become boring ya know...

but this story about thirty iraqis killed i can't find either. All i found was that today 30 bodies of iraqi soldiers were found full with bullets in them. So maybe i misunderstood TV or maybe they lied to me. Or maybe you'll hear about it soon (since it happened today) .

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion