Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
strawlog from liq. myc. a no grow.
    #3889144 - 03/08/05 06:50 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

i pasturized some straw for a log sock or two, similar to what anything4poppies did in his thread. 1 sock was spawned with rye grain the other sock was inoculated with a liquid mycelium culture. the same liq cult. was used to inoculate some pc'ed grain in gladware containers. here's how things turned out. the sock spawned with rye grain is growing moderatly well. Not as evenly as i had hopped and not as good as the trays of straw that were spawned at the same time. the rye grain is is coming along nicely. the sock spawned with liquid culture showed no signs of growth so i cut it open to have a look. there was very little myc. growth. the log was generating heat. myc that was there (if it was myc) did not look healthy. It looked more like a white pastel crayon smeared in the straw in places. I figure there are might be two reasons... 1 its hard to inoculate straw with a liquid culture ( i doubt this) or 2 by using a liquid culture i oversaturated the straw.
Either way i'm not impressed with the growsock. It made for a good thread and i was optamistic about its application but it didnt work for me.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: strawlog from liq. myc. a no grow. [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #3889691 - 03/08/05 09:17 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I've had little luck trying to use Karo or other liquid innoculums to knock up straw or newspaper. Usually trich sparks up because it simply takes too long for colonization of these substrates. You have about a 2 week period that pasturization gives you to get them colonized or molds and bacterias will get the upperhand of the substrate.

Edited by hotnutz (03/08/05 09:17 PM)

OfflineSko
Democrat

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: strawlog from liq. myc. a no grow. [Re: Hotnuts]
    #3889981 - 03/08/05 10:30 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Newspapers contain heavey metals in the inks and I would not recomend growing mushrooms off of them, or doing anything else other than throwing them away or recycle them for more newspapers (burning them puts the heavey metals in the air and makes a local environmental problem, although small, still present).

Also please please PLEASE organize your text better, it is very very difficult to real ALL of that in one paragraph, space it out, PLEASE!!!  I beg you!

Thanks in advance, :laugh:

--------------------
Sko

InvisibleFloydseamus
Fun Guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Long Island Flag
Re: strawlog from liq. myc. a no grow. [Re: Sko]
    #3891008 - 03/09/05 01:48 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I'm pretty sure that newspapers use environmentally friendly ink now. I own a snake, and have been told by more than a few people that i can use the newspaper as bedding because the ink is now soy based.... Someone correct me if im wrong...

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: strawlog from liq. myc. a no grow. [Re: Floydseamus]
    #3891072 - 03/09/05 02:04 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Floydseamus said:
I'm pretty sure that newspapers use environmentally friendly ink now. I own a snake, and have been told by more than a few people that i can use the newspaper as bedding because the ink is now soy based.... Someone correct me if im wrong...

Correct..most use soy based ink now.

It's a good idea to call your local rag and ask though.

:smile:

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: strawlog from liq. myc. a no grow. [Re: Roadkill]
    #3892829 - 03/09/05 01:21 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Exactly! Almost all newspaper print is soy based because of Federal regulations. It works good for a cheap bulk sub too.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale