Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerammpakked
Dude
Loc: St. Louis, MO for now
South Texas Shrooms
    #3890640 - 03/09/05 02:33 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm new and I posted this in the pub but I think this is a better place for it.

I have often heard that: "any and ALL mushrooms growing on a pile of cow shit in South Texas are trippy shrooms and not poisonous." I was curious of the validity of this statement. I apologize for not being able to include pics but I am away in college and was hoping to get answers before I go home and raid my buddy's cow pasture.

--------------------
rammpakked

"i suffer because i desire" - old Eastern proverb

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBaton_Rouge_Voodoo
24 inch Pythons
 User Gallery

Loc: Sec.A-3 Row 18 Seat 10
Re: South Texas Shrooms [Re: rammpakked]
    #3890934 - 03/09/05 03:28 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Completely inaccurate.Good thing you came here before you went to the field.Do some research and know what you're doing before you go to the field you could wind up in the hospital or even worse in a body bag.
I'm from south Louisiana,and the only mushrooms I pick from cow shit are Psilocybe Cubensis because they are the one species I'm most familiar with.If I happen to come across another species that "might" be active I usually leave them alone until I become more familiar with the species.
The Shroomery is a great place to learn anything and most everything about mushrooms.
Welcome....

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: South Texas Shrooms [Re: Baton_Rouge_Voodoo]
    #3891832 - 03/09/05 10:44 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

good advice from Voodoo. psilocybe cubensis are very easy to recognize once you're familiar with their appearance and characteristics. other dung loving mushrooms in our area are not as easily identifiable so it's best to start with cubes until you're able to spot the differences between the other actives around here. look around the website and you'll find plenty of info on psilocybe cubensis mushrooms and how to identify them

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlineknuckleboy12
Stranger
Re: South Texas Shrooms [Re: SuperD]
    #3895193 - 03/09/05 11:20 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Im in Houston & Im having no luck locating a shroomery! I'd love to maybe find a nature guide to help me out.!
Knuckleboy12

Offlinerammpakked
Dude
Loc: St. Louis, MO for now
Re: South Texas Shrooms [Re: knuckleboy12]
    #3896016 - 03/10/05 02:03 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the info guys. When I go home over summer I will get some pics of them and compare to info here on the site. Again, thanks for keeping me alive.

--------------------
rammpakked

"i suffer because i desire" - old Eastern proverb

Offlinecamelsmoker
smoke up
 User Gallery

Loc: The Dirty Dirty
Re: South Texas Shrooms [Re: rammpakked]
    #3896775 - 03/10/05 10:08 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

this is the shroomery knuckle!!  :rotfl:

--------------------
THE LUNATIC IS IN MY HEAD
<----(o)---->
Check out www.alexgrey.com! He does tools artwork from lateralus.
No harm can come from questioning. "Best" case scenerio: You prove it right without relying on the fact that it is widely accepted. Argument strengthened. "Worst" case scenerio: You realize you might have been wrong. The new answer might or might not be what you want to hear, but it beats defending yourself with bullshit.
Qoted from (Koala Koolio)

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: South Texas Shrooms [Re: camelsmoker]
    #3898851 - 03/10/05 06:52 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

lol camel smoker. Just so you guys know the cubes are out in texas My buddy and I found our first cubes yesterday.

DONT GO ONLY BY APPEARANCE. I have seen an amanita(These are deadly) growing up through, and several times directly next to cowpatties. At first glance they looked like sun bleached cubes. Be careful. take a sporeprint(read the faqs on this site to understand what I mean), check the gill color, look for bluing, make sure it is growing from the dung not just near it, and match its general appearance. If you use several ways to confirm your ID then there is little chance of eating the wrong species. Like superD said cubes are pretty uncanny in appearance so when you see one chances are you will know it, but is it worth the risk to not spend the the 20-30 minutes(only takes that long because of the sporeprint) it takes to check these criteria. Be safe man. Peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification