Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomfish
Shroom with theFishes!
 User Gallery

Loc: Tampa area
I'm a bit skeptical about the correct picking time...
    #3890069 - 03/08/05 10:42 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

...most teks and reports i have read say you should pick fruits just before the veil breaks.  i have been growing for 9 months or so now and have had several successful batches.  it seems to me that if you allow the fruit to open naturally, it continues to grow for at least another day or so until the cap begins to curl upwards.

so why do people say you should pick before the veil breaks?  is there some kind of scientific evidence that shows it is more potent before it opens?  the only correlation i have found in trip strength is by pure volume; the more grams the stronger.  from my experience i think you should wait until the cap completely opens up to pick.

i know there will be plenty of debate about this  :grin: can't wait to hear what ya'll think.

--------------------
--Shroomfish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNoodleSalad
umm...yeah

Re: I'm a bit skeptical about the correct picking time... [Re: Shroomfish]
    #3890142 - 03/08/05 10:53 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

When ever i ask people to back up that mushrooms are potent before the veil breaks i never get any responses. I think everyone picks them early because everyone tells them to. I personally don't think they are more potent but i would like evidence to support or disprove it.

--------------------
life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liqour store, 40 oz to
Freedom,
so I'll take that walk.
And I know that ohhhh...I'm not comin back

Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!

Re: I'm a bit skeptical about the correct picking time... [Re: NoodleSalad]
    #3890179 - 03/08/05 10:59 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

neither me or scatmanrav pick when the veil first breaks, it is more of a matter of personal preference than potency. however, this is only one school of thought on the subject, the other is the exact opposite. potency varys too much from shroom to shroom to get an accurate scientific measurement. thus this is a unending argument and all one can do is choose a side for themselves

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
Re: I'm a bit skeptical about the correct picking time... [Re: NoodleSalad]
    #3890198 - 03/08/05 11:01 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Its not that they're more potent...it's just that apparently after the veil breaks psilocybin/psilocin production is reduced or halted and after that you're just wasting nutrients to grow a bigger shroom not more drug. And besides, after your veil completely opens its gonna puke spores all over the damn place which can inhibit future pin formation.  :wink:

Offlinepenlight438094

Re: I'm a bit skeptical about the correct picking time... [Re: atomic1]
    #3890218 - 03/08/05 11:03 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

atomic1 said:
Its not that they're more potent...it's just that apparently after the veil breaks psilocybin/psilocin production is reduced or halted and after that you're just wasting nutrients to grow a bigger shroom not more drug. And besides, after your veil completely opens its gonna puke spores all over the damn place which can inhibit future pin formation.  :wink:

^^^^^^^
the other school

--------------------
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

OfflineNoodleSalad
umm...yeah

#3890313 - 03/08/05 11:21 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

atomic1 said:
after the veil breaks psilocybin/psilocin production is reduced or halted

Does anyone have evidence to prove this? With as many people that believe this i would think there is a study or an article some where to prove it.

--------------------
life is one big question when your starin at the clock
And the answers always waiting at the liqour store, 40 oz to
Freedom,
so I'll take that walk.
And I know that ohhhh...I'm not comin back

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Re: I'm a bit skeptical about the correct picking time... [Re: penlight438094]
    #3890314 - 03/08/05 11:21 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Tell me....did i say something wrong? All i gave was info to the man's question as to why people pick as the veil breaks not my opinion to do it one way or the other. You said it yourself its only a matter of preference. The only advantage of letting them grow to full potential would be the added weight if you were selling them, but I know the people here only grow for personal use.

Offlinebumper
Playin EVE
 User Gallery

Loc: Middle of Canada
Re: I'm a bit skeptical about the correct picking time... *DELETED* [Re: atomic1]
    #3890368 - 03/08/05 11:35 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Post deleted by bumper

Reason for deletion: .

--------------------
Pitbulls are like any other dog, they can be trained to be nasty or they can be trained to be good, some are smart and some are stupid, just like every other breed.
Their tough, stubborn and loyal, which is easily turned into something horrible in the wrong hands.

Offlinepenlight438094

#3890377 - 03/08/05 11:38 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

atomic1 said:
Tell me....did i say something wrong? All i gave was info to the man's question as to why people pick as the veil breaks not my opinion to do it one way or the other. You said it yourself its only a matter of preference. The only advantage of letting them grow to full potential would be the added weight if you were selling them, but I know the people here only grow for personal use.

firstly as I said, to each his own, I wasn't flaming you, your post is exatly what the other school of though is

there is no proof that after the veil breaks psilocybin/psilocin production is reduced or halted and after that you're just wasting nutrients to grow a bigger shroom not more drug, if you have some we'd all like to see it. so there may be advantages other than more weight,

finally
The only advantage of letting them grow to full potential would be the added weight if you were selling them, but I know the people here only grow for personal use.

well I let them go till maturity and have for a while now, and I ain't no dealer, if you are implying I am, then f-off

--------------------

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Re: I'm a bit skeptical about the correct picking time... [Re: bumper]
    #3890394 - 03/08/05 11:43 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

The comparison of 2 different shrooms isn't the debate. Sure different shrooms are going to vary in drug content. It's the fact of whether or Not drug production is slowed or halted after the veil breaks in all shrooms in general.

Offlinepenlight438094

#3890407 - 03/08/05 11:48 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

exatly

and it is my beleif that it does not, youre intitled to your own opinions, but there is no scientific evidence to back up either theory, this thread is a prime example of this argument, without hard facts it is just a matter of what side you beleive we could argue for days and get nowhere. It's simple.... pick when YOU (the grower) want, cause everyone is different

--------------------

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

#3890410 - 03/08/05 11:48 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Alright bro, lets end this now. I ain't trying to start shit. Arguing on the internet is fucking dumb. It just seemed like you were labeling me as some dumb fuck in the "other school of thought" who bit on the myth. Cease fire.

Offlinepenlight438094

#3890421 - 03/08/05 11:50 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

no, no, I just meant you were on the other side of the debate, neither side is right or wrong without science to back it up.

sry for the misunderstanding -peace

--------------------

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

#3890457 - 03/08/05 11:59 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Sweet, its nice to see there are still reasonable people around. One thing though, that thing about spores inhibiting future pin formation is straight out of "The Mushroom Cultivator" for what its worth. You get a rating.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3892056 - 03/09/05 09:46 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

All.

BS.

Spores can feel free to do whatever they're doing to my flushes.

And anyone who feels theres a potency loss can feel free and compare any of my shrooms to closed caps and tell me if theres any difference. As of yet, no one has.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineoddiseus
The PsychofunkFirefly

Loc: Doldrums & Faultlines
Re: I'm a bit skeptical about the correct picking time... [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3892086 - 03/09/05 09:51 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Lmfao, Scat you da man!!

-Odd

--------------------
Though you can't go back and make a new beginning. You can start today to make a new end.

Traveller, there is no path, paths are made by walking

If Jesus was jewish...Why does he have a mexican name??

OfflineShroomfish
Shroom with theFishes!
 User Gallery

Loc: Tampa area
    #3892645 - 03/09/05 12:18 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

atomic1 said:
Its not that they're more potent...it's just that apparently after the veil breaks psilocybin/psilocin production is reduced or halted and after that you're just wasting nutrients to grow a bigger shroom not more drug.

this would seem to make the most sense to me.  however, as all of you have pointed out, it seems there is no evidence to support any of this, which is really what i was wondering.  so until i see otherwise, i'm gonna let my little fungi spread their wings and look all pretty before i pick em.

--------------------
--Shroomfish

OfflinePhotoguy
Drunk andJobless

Loc: Drunk in Texas
    #3892664 - 03/09/05 12:29 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Well my foaf is growing right now about 7 different strains and he is going to personally do a test where he will pick two before the veil breaks and two after the veil breaks and do a test and see if there is any noticable difference.

Personally, I think that mushrooms are way more sexy when they have grown to their full size.

--------------------
You gotta check yo' self before you wreck yo' self

B, Z, F, Burma, Cambodian, Golden Teacher, Puerto Rico, South American, Costa Rica, African

My name is Ender Wiggen and I will own you soon. Bean is my second in command, he is PC'ing jars right now.

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: I'm a bit skeptical about the correct picking time... [Re: bumper]
    #3892920 - 03/09/05 01:56 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Idea for a qualitative test to prove this theory one way or another:

One could grow a large batch of a cloned mushroom (to decrease genetic diversity between individual mushrooms as much as possible) and then pick half before the veil breaks, half afterwards.  After drying, correct to make sure the weights of each are the same and then do an extraction under identical conditions. 

If it was a sufficiently large batch any variability between individual mushrooms would be averaged out and hopefully there would be enough pure extract to make a qualitative comparison between the two.

Anyone care to carry out this experiment and put the debate to rest once and for all.  It would be a noble contribution to the ever-growing body of knowledge here.  Oh, and I would be happy to, er, analyze the results personally  :tongue2:

--Aeolus

OfflineLanceArmstrong
Russki
Loc: FL
    #3892972 - 03/09/05 02:13 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

In my experience the more mature the mushroom, the more water is has. Fully mature ones dry up to about 8% or less weight, when aborts and closed cap mushies are 10-11%. So mature ones are slightly less potent fresh but are equally potent dry. But all these differences are so minute that these theories are only for discussion and not applicable.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies