Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNo_Life_G33k
Now with 10%less noobness
 User Gallery

WBS Vs. rye
    #3889355 - 03/08/05 07:37 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I've had good luck with both in the past.
I used 'rye grain' - the food type- as opposed to rye seed'. I get mine from the bulk bins at the supermarket.

But now, I've come to realize that WBS is a major pain in the gluteus.
The stuff gets everywhere.....in the tub, on the stove, on the floor..etc. Mostly due to the rinsing.

Soooooo I wanted to see if there was a common consensus on the grains. Does 1 perform better then the other?? Or does it vary widely due to different brand, water content etc??

Does anyone rinse or simmer their rye??

There doesn't seem to be much in the logs/faq on rye- I've read the entire archive, and scant reference to rye is found.

Is there a clear difference betwen the two?? or is it a Ford Vs. Chevy type thing??

--------------------
Hot Water Pasteuriztion - A How To Pictorial
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4527808/an/0/page/0

Make your own shroom chocolates
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4500682/an/0/page/5

guide with pix.

Make Your Own Magnetic Stirrer! How-To Tek w/ pix
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5865949/an/0/page/3

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomGod
old hand
Re: WBS Vs. rye [Re: No_Life_G33k]
    #3890052 - 03/08/05 10:39 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I have used both rye and birdseed in spawn bags and 1/2 pints. I like rye much better for spawn bags. The millet in birdseed doesn't give the mycelium as much air space in a heavy spawn bag, and I like to pack them really full. I have found that the tight grain pack at the bottom of the bag is really bad. It reduces air, which slows the mycelium down. And as mycellium colonizes any grain, I find that there is condensation. With millet that condensation can fill between the tiny millet easily and increase the chance of bacterial blooms. Secondly, I like the fact that rye is much easier to break apart and mix up when you are working through the spawn bag. With birdseed I've ripped the bag trying to break it up and mix it before. The rye just crumbles apart perfectly.

For 1/2 pint jars, on the other hand, I like birdseed better. It is more dense, and the density is nice to get more substrate in the tiny area.

The reason some people give for using birdseed spawn is that it has more inoculation points. That's a good theory, but using one over the other didn't make any difference in spawn run times in my experience. I guess the number of inoculation points wasn't the limiting factor for spawn run time in my case.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate