Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
straws nutritional value
    #3888444 - 03/08/05 06:50 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I've read it several times in this forum that straw without a large volume of rye spawn/wbs will produce low quality mushrooms (potency and flush. I beg to differ and would like others opinions on the subject. I use spawn sparingly but mix it well with pasteurized straw. The only advantage I can tell of using a large quantity of spawn is quicker colonization.
Any opinions????
If straw sucked so bad ppl wouldn't be using it. they'd be making large bulk grain cakes instead.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: straws nutritional value [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #3888478 - 03/08/05 06:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Not that many say straw is that bad. And for those that do, I think they are incorrect as well. Straight straw produces wonderful yeilds and I have no probablems keeping them for more then 3 flushes, everyone says one flush wonder. With a dunk though...straw is vunderbar!

Grain is better though, nutrionally speaking. The reason people dont make large bulk grain casings like this (which is just grain, no bulk):

Is because that takes up 8 quarts of grain, where as 8 quarts of grain and a big bag of straw can do 4 casings like this (straight straw):

More pics from straw:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: straws nutritional value [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #3888521 - 03/08/05 07:07 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The only advantage I can tell of using a large quantity of spawn is quicker colonization.

Agreed. If you really want to give that straw a boost, add some horse shit.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Re: straws nutritional value [Re: dog]
    #3892668 - 03/09/05 02:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I got a question about one of your pics Scatman. I see that you have what looks to be colonizing straw in jars in your 3rd pic. Did you PC the straw? And do you do straw in jars usually? Like you would rye or wbs? Love all those pretty pics btw hehe.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: straws nutritional value [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #3892741 - 03/09/05 02:58 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Everyone told me that 1) Straw needed microbes that pressure cooking killed and 2) Straw can't be inoculated with a liquid spawn. I did some jars and some bags in the PC:

And inoculated them with liquid mycleium. The jars colonized and fruited fine. First flush was pitiful, second flush was bigger and then third flush was pretty nice (The third flush is pictured above..the white tub in the picture next to the straw jars, below the big black tub). The bags dried out due to me not incubating them correctly...got a bit hot and filter was wide open, straw needs to be kept wrapped up tight..and I didnt stuff the bags full or cut it much. Shreaded straw mixed with verm, kept wrapped up would have worked just fine. The bags turned out ok..of 4, 3 colonized after squirting in some water, the other contamed. The three went into two tin foil casings and also did well. Tin foil doesnt go well with straw though, eats through it...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation