Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSHROOMpimp
719 Colorado 719
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between the turntables...
New PF Cake Recipe???
    #3885929 - 03/08/05 02:39 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, i am a beginner (not 1st grow, but still new) and i have made a nice little mix, not sure if anyone else has used this, but i've never read it anywhere, nor heard anything from my little group of 'friends'. Well, it's a basic recipe that works pretty well, i'm going to perfect it one of these days. here's the directions i follow, of course use your head w/ measuring, i've seen different grades of verm. take water differently, etc.

1.take a touch over 1 full cup of verm. and lay it out in a bowl
2.spread 1/2 cup BRF evenly over the verm. layer (organic)
3.lay 1/3 to 1/2 cup of dry BROWN RICE (organic, but not flour)
i usually sprinkle a little more verm over the top of this to take on the water as it fist mixes in, so as not to make the BRF clumpy.
4.slowly add 1/2 cup of water (filtered or distilled)
5.mix until everything is evenly mixed, no clumps of any one thing

and your done, well, you still gotta fill up your jars until about the bottom of the threads, then put a layer of DRY verm. over the mix. then seal up your jars via whatever method you use. I happen to use just tyvek under the lid and aluminum foil over the lid. and i use 5 holes in the lid, four equally spaced around the edge of the lid and one in the center. this set-up had worked very well for me, the only problem i've had w/ anything is one time i was stupid and needed just one more hole out of the five in my last lid of all my jars (16 1/2pints) and i ran out of liquid in my spore syringe, so i looked around and decided to risk it and see what happend. i then took the empty syringe and stuck it through the side of a new bottle of distilled water, drew up about 1cc and it looked to be a nice dark syringe from just what was left in the needle itself... well, turned out that jar got a touch of black mold (i think, big black spot in myc?) well, anyways, my only mistake with this method was obviously my fault, so i guess it is fairly fool proof. I just started a new batch of jars and they were injected 5 days ago as of a couple of hours ago and they are showing about 3"-4" patches of myc. in each jar. i figure another week and they will be ready to birth.
i know this is long but i don't get to get to my computer enough, so i figured since i had time maybe put my little recipe on here, if it helps one person grow one extra mushy then i feel i have helped even if in a small way. well, thanx for reading, and if you have any questions please ask, i might have left something out, it's 3:30AM right now. oh yeah, anyone have any advice on any of my tek? i've been thinking of adding a little coffee to the mix, a FOAF said it would be a good thing to mix in, but not sure if that is a good idea, nor do i know if it should go ground or in beans... well, thanks for reading this long ass message, and i hope to hear back from ya'll.
thanx

:mushroom2:SHROOMpimp :mushroom2:

p.s. i'm getting a digi tomorrow, so that means it's camera time!!!
check back in a day or two and i'll have some cool ones for this TEK and for my set-up.

--------------------
:safesex: Just My $0.02... :safesex:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: New PF Cake Recipe??? [Re: SHROOMpimp]
    #3885985 - 03/08/05 03:06 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SHROOMpimp said:

1.take a touch over 1 full cup of verm. and lay it out in a bowl
2.spread 1/2 cup BRF evenly over the verm. layer (organic)
3.lay 1/3 to 1/2 cup of dry BROWN RICE (organic, but not flour)
i usually sprinkle a little more verm over the top of this to take on the water as it fist mixes in, so as not to make the BRF clumpy.
4.slowly add 1/2 cup of water (filtered or distilled)
5.mix until everything is evenly mixed, no clumps of any one thing

seems like that would be a little dry to me.

the water content seems off.

this worked for you?

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineSHROOMpimp
719 Colorado 719
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between the turntables...
Re: New PF Cake Recipe??? [Re: Roadkill]
    #3887910 - 03/08/05 03:10 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yes it works, of course, if it seems dry or wet, use your head, you know. this was kinda a non-measured mix when i started, but then i put measurements to it. i pretty much ALWAYS add either a little more water to get the "field" consistency, and/or if it's wet/dry i'll add water or verm. but the rice goes in dry, gives the mix a little more 'airy' consistency when you have a finer grade of verm. it's a good mix overall.... but hey, roadkill, have you seen much data or any posts where someone has added coffee in any way to their mix? but for the dryness of the mix, i've made several batches of regular 2:1:1 and they all came out great, but then i wanted to mess around a little, so i added the brown rice, dry. i've never soaked the rice then put it into the mix, i wonder if that would give you the texture you're looking for. maybe i'll try that today... but anywayz, thanks for the reply, hope to get more insight from some of the community.... take it easy Roadkill

SHROOMpimp

--------------------
:safesex: Just My $0.02... :safesex:

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
    #3887956 - 03/08/05 03:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I am doing a lot of experimenting with pf cake substrate mixes myself. Brf is hard to find in my town, so I tried a few different things in place of brf and they didn't work so well. Whole wheat flour and soy flour did very poorly. I had a bit more success with cooked brown rice, but I think I messed up the moisture content. I then read a tek here about using oat flakes. That worked great. Just a little slower than brf on colonizing, and yields were similar. Millet flour also worked very well. Just like brf, with possibly better yield. Well in the last month I finally got my wbs technique down. While working with all these different mediums, I realized that shape of particles of materials has something to do with how they fit in the jar. Good aeration is key in pf jars for me. I like to have a nice fluffy airy mix. Canning funnel helps a lot too on keeping it airy in jars. Keeping all that in mind, here is my current mix I am trying. Will let you know how they go. I am already seeing growth in 3 days from liquid innoc.

6parts verm
2parts soaked and simmered and drained wbs
1part poo
1part brf
1part millet flour
3parts water

It makes a more airy substrate than brf/medium grade verm alone. I wish I could get bigger size verm locally, I think that would help too.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #3887963 - 03/08/05 03:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well I figgured you had to added more water...to the mix.

As far as coffee...yes there are alot of posts on people using coffee.

Search on coffee

and

The Coffee Project

TC

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate