Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
WBS with high cracked grain/corn content
    #3886884 - 03/08/05 12:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

So I went cheap-o with some "Prince" WBS and I opened it up and realized it has millet, sunflower, and then, "grain products." "Grain products" appear to be pieces of cracked corn and other assorted bits that are *not* whole intact grains.
I overcooked my last wbs batch, and I'm trying to avoid that again this time, but I'm assuming these grain products will soak up more water than the whole millet during the 24 hour soak. Then I'm concerned about simmering as I did 20 minutes last time and that was too much.
Any advice on simmering time/not simmering at all with a mixed WBS substrate like this? Thanks very much.

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: WBS with high cracked grain/corn content [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3887556 - 03/08/05 03:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

If you're soaking for 24 hrs, there is no need to simmer IMO. Just make sure you drain them well after the soak (2hrs) at least and PC for 90 minutes @ 15psi. I use the same thing with great results.

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: WBS with high cracked grain/corn content [Re: Hotnuts]
    #3887574 - 03/08/05 03:53 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I *just* read a tek by Agar I dug up from the archives saying the same thing. Cheers.

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: WBS with high cracked grain/corn content [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3887586 - 03/08/05 03:56 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I just purchased a 50 pound bag of seed at wal mart. It cost 9 dollars. The brand name is actually Wild Bird Seed and it has vitamin coat on it. I like this stuff better than the non vitamin enriched kind.

Anyways mine is red millet, milo, wheat, and sunflower. it works wonderfull.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3887597 - 03/08/05 03:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

hotnutz said:
If you're soaking for 24 hrs, there is no need to simmer IMO. Just make sure you drain them well after the soak (2hrs) at least and PC for 90 minutes @ 15psi. I use the same thing with great results.

Soaking 12 hours, rinsing, then simmering 30 mins works the best for me. And it takes less time than the 24 hour soak, simmering takes little effort.

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: WBS with high cracked grain/corn content [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3887671 - 03/08/05 04:17 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Let's put it this way. Listen to AGAR's teks. He's good at what he does.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3887758 - 03/08/05 04:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Agar has some cool ideas, nothing too spectacular really just some product use ideas and such. I believe most people soak 12 hours, simmer 30 mins and drain 45 mins. I dont like the 24 hour soak because it allows time for bacteria to germinate and grow for too long, it begins to smell. Also i like to simmer because it busts some of the grain open and the mycel loves the nutritious inside.

I do it one way, Anno another, Agar another. (im not comparing myself to them just making a point) Try all three whatever works best for you is great!

--------------------

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
    #3887824 - 03/08/05 04:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I like the 24hr soak, because if I put em in to soak at 7pm, they will be ready to simmer the next night at 7pm :smile:  I simmer for 30mins myself, and drain for an hr.  It seems to me that you can over soak and over simmer a little and it will be ok.  The draining is the key.  At least it has been for me.  I had 2 failed attempts and finally got the knack in the last month.  2dozen quart jars and counting colonizing just fine atm.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Re: WBS with high cracked grain/corn content [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #3887838 - 03/08/05 04:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote: the draining is key

Exactly. No matter if you soak or soak and simmer, draining them for long enough is the key to success, along with a 90 minute pc time of course.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #3887901 - 03/08/05 05:07 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

When im working I like to get shit done fast. I dont have time for letting it sit in the sink for an hour. I drain the best i can doing the up and down thing causing the gravity force or whatever (you know what im talkin bout), then i put in in a big bowl and dry the seeds with paper towel.  :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
    #3888096 - 03/08/05 05:55 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Multitask hehe.  I can easily find grow related things to do while mine are draining.  If nothing else, I clean some or read some forums :smile:

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3888238 - 03/08/05 06:21 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
Agar has some cool ideas, nothing too spectacular really just some product use ideas and such.

Are you kidding me? Do you know anyone else who has come up with a substrate that produces 200% B/E? How about one that doesnt need to be sterilized or pasteurized? How about put together?

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3797303/an/0/page/0

Agar is better then you relize at what he does and is well onto revolutionizing this 'hobby'.

That said...agar does have a disadvantage when speaking of grain preperation. He only has experience using it as spawn. If using as spawn, that is fine advice to follow..if you are fruiting directly from the grain though, you WILL benifit from a simmer and/or mixing in verm with the substrate.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation