Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Herb Grinder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
What is the future of the "Rust Belt"?
    #3886850 - 03/08/05 12:42 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The Rust Belt is an area that spans from New York to Indiana and Michigan. It is an area that once was very economically powerful because of the large amount of manufacturing industries. These industries have mostly moved away and the economy has declined. I live right smack dab in the middle of the Rust Belt and I can attest to the bad economy, population shrinkage, and infrastructure crumbling. What do you think will happen to this once vibrant part of America? Will it continue to decay? Will it turn around?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: What is the future of the "Rust Belt"? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3887292 - 03/08/05 02:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I live in the rust belt as well. Detroit which once had 2 million plus people making just about anything to do with the automobile has dwindled to a city of 900,000 lower income people (mostly minorities) who have a hard time finding work of any relevance.. Our roads suck, we have no public transportation and many jobs are being outsourced in the automobile industry. The future of this area IMHO will decline even more. I despise the City of Detroit and 1/2 of the blame for their decline is their own fault (thug mayors and city counsel).

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: What is the future of the "Rust Belt"? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3888124 - 03/08/05 05:59 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You live in Detroit? I send my condolensces to you. That place looks like such a dump. The downtown looks like it has some cool stuff, but overall it looks like a decaying shithole(based on pictures and descriptions I have seen). I have heard that young thugs burn buildings down every Halloween night in Detroit.

I will be going on a road trip out West in June. I was thinking of stopping in Detroit and driving along the highways which border Lakes Huron and Michigan(basically going all the way around the "tip" of Michigan). Do you know of any cool stuff to see in the area?

I live in the middle of "steel country" in Pennsylvania. There used to be manufacturing plants as far as the eye could see over here. Steel plants ran 24 hours a day. You could walk out of high school and immediately get a job that paid the equivalent of twenty dollars per hour in the mills. Those days are long gone. Everybody is now on welfare or social security around here. I am thinking of moving out West.

Edited by RandalFlagg (03/08/05 06:04 PM)

OfflineSlackerKM
Unusual suspect

#3888135 - 03/08/05 06:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: What is the future of the "Rust Belt"? [Re: SlackerKM]
    #3888268 - 03/08/05 06:24 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

"Plainly stated, exploring ruins is dangerious and often illegal. The buildings often have structural damage, molds, asbestos, and winos."
:faded:

--------------------

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
    #3888564 - 03/08/05 07:19 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Wow, that is dark. Like walking through the bones of an old, once powerful, and now quite extinct beast.

Sometimes I think its better to let dead buildings go.

We have it old cinema in my town, its not opened its doors in a good 10 years, but the building is listed as protected by nature of being a prime example of art deco crap, its falling apart. They had to hack the big grand front off, the main reason the building was listed, because bits of it where falling off and just narrowly missed killing few people.

Now its just a rotting dinosaur husk, it reeks of decay and blights the town around, tear it down.

Sorry rant over.

On a side note, I think if I were living in place surrounded by rotting shells of buildings, I would consider land clearance.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3888691 - 03/08/05 07:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevie...t_Michigan.html

Dude, check out some of these reviews of the Ramada Inn in downtown Detroit.  Absolutely hilarious. 

Is this place for fucking real?

it is about a five minute walk between the hotel & Comerica Park but you will probably find yourself running instead of walking.

The first thing that came to my mind was "Flop house".The filth and dis-repair (including roaches the size of your hand) was un-bearable.

3. The shower pipe was taped to the wall w/ masking tape to prevent any drywall from falling. 4. The stairwell was full of garbage bags, used appliances (a stove & window air conditioners), and gang graffiti.

Another disturbing observation was that staff behind the registration desk had to buzz you in through a door to get to the elevators.

there were blood stains all over the carpet.

Talking to people in the bar that evening we met recovering drug addicts, alcholics, who lived at the hotel

"This place would scare Dracula!"

I pressed what I thought was the ?up? elevator button only to have my finger disappear into a hole.

On the left the sheers appeared to be smeared with what looked like dried blood

At this point I was actually afraid to open the bathroom door.

I was scared to walk the halls, and more afraid to go to sleep.

Someone supposedly got stabbed on the roof while we were there

:rotfl:

Here are some more reviews from other sites:

The parking lot has glass everywhere along with trash swirling around the street.

The room was small and the halls smelled, not to mention the fear of having the car on blocks by morning. If you want someplace cheap and a bit scary, this is the place for you

When they moved the nightstand aside to plug in the cell phone, there was an empty syringe packet and A USED CONDOM among other garbage.

The filth was terrible. Some of the rooms on some of the floors are boarded up and others look like an arson fire

This hotel is good for:  Adventure

On the fringe of downtown - in an area you wouldn''t want to walk alone at night

Edited by RandalFlagg (03/08/05 07:57 PM)

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #3888809 - 03/08/05 08:04 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I spent most of my life growing up between Rochester and Buffalo.
Both cities have fallen on very hard times over the past 25 years or so, as more of the manufacturing they once provided has been moved overseas. Western New York has always been depressing with its eternally overcast skies, but now it's becoming poor and delapidated to boot.

:sad:

Will it continue to decay? Yeah, at least for a while. Will it turn around? Eventually. It's gotta be hard for an old city to reinvent itself. But it makes no sense to totally abandon an area that has a working infastructure, cheap real estate and eager laborers.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: What is the future of the "Rust Belt"? [Re: Gijith]
    #3889022 - 03/08/05 08:34 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Buffalo and Rochester have been dieing for way more than 25 years. I went to UB in the 70's and the town was gone then,although a great place to party. No, it will not come back. If you can work anywhere you won't live there because of the weather, which is truly horrendous, without the benefit of any ski shit or scenery or intellectual center, or......anything else.

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3889199 - 03/08/05 09:12 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

You guys ever been to Gary, Indiana? It was once a hopeful place of industry. Now I make plans to drive around it whenever I go somewhere because of the disgusting smell that penetrates your car. It is now one of the the murder capitals of the world and only home to those poor souls who make a crappy living in those contaminated plants.

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: What is the future of the "Rust Belt"? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3889351 - 03/08/05 09:36 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I was on a boy scout trip one time from illinois to ohio to check out an airplane museum, and we got LOST while traveling through Gary on the way home, we must have drove around the town for 20 minutes or more...luckily the scout motto of be prepared turned out to be a good motto, and we weren't lost for long... I would prefer to spend my night in a septic tank if my other choice was gary though.

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Re: What is the future of the "Rust Belt"? [Re: lackobreath]
    #3889373 - 03/08/05 09:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Have you ever smelled the Aroma of Tacoma?

--------------------

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: What is the future of the "Rust Belt"? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3889395 - 03/08/05 09:44 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
No, it will not come back.  If you can work anywhere you won't live there because of the weather, which is truly horrendous, without the benefit of any ski shit or scenery or intellectual center, or......anything else.

Yeah, maybe you're right... I'm trying to think of cities that have undergone a real reversal of fortune. I'm coming up blank.

:crazy:

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: What is the future of the "Rust Belt"? [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3889419 - 03/08/05 09:48 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SWEDEN said:
Have you ever smelled the Aroma of Tacoma?

Isn't that a "nasty little Jewish princess, with a garlic aroma that could level Tacoma"? FZ "Jewish Princess"
"A grinder, a bumper, with a pre-moistened dumper"

--------------------

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Re: What is the future of the "Rust Belt"? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3889457 - 03/08/05 09:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup: :rotfl:

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#3891490 - 03/09/05 07:18 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

You live in Detroit?

No, I live in a city called West Bloomfield, it's about 8 miles north of the city of Detroit. But I'm upset because there's cities like Chicago where people actually go to. Here, people go to the suburbs for entertainment.

Quote:

That place looks like such a dump. The downtown looks like it has some cool stuff, but overall it looks like a decaying shithole(based on pictures and descriptions I have seen). I have heard that young thugs burn buildings down every Halloween night in Detroit.

The city outside the downtown area is pathewtic. However the leaders of that city are to blame for the conditions there. Everytime a white owned corporation wants to come into the city they deny them and say it has to be minority owned. So the corporations go to the suburbs and the city of Detroit then blames the suburbs for their problems.

Quote:

I will be going on a road trip out West in June. I was thinking of stopping in Detroit and driving along the highways which border Lakes Huron and Michigan(basically going all the way around the "tip" of Michigan). Do you know of any cool stuff to see in the area?

Grindstone city at the tip of the thumb is very nice in the Summer (it's a fishing type town). Oscodao is a about 3 hours north closer to the tip of michigan and at the tip of Michigan is Macinac City (pronounced "Mack-in-naw") and Macinaw island where cars are not allowed. Used to be an old French Fort. This is where the Mackinac Bridge is (longest suspension bridge in the world). The West Side of Michigan has some impressive dunes but the views of the water are impressive no matter which lake you are on.

Quote:

Everybody is now on welfare or social security around here. I am thinking of moving out West.

We have similar problems. The Rouge plant and Zug island is quite similar to what you are talking about but it doesn't run as much as it did years ago. I love this state in summer but my wife doesn't want to move.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3891653 - 03/09/05 09:15 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I am thinking of moving out West.

Have you considered the Southeast?

I believe it has the highest income to cost of living ratio. Land is cheap and the unemployment rate is low.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: What is the future of the "Rust Belt"? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3891706 - 03/09/05 09:47 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I would love to live in northern Arizona..it's nice.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
Re: What is the future of the "Rust Belt"? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3910302 - 03/13/05 04:01 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

One of the reasons that the "rust belt" came into existence is because of Federal programs redistributing money from the rust belt to the sun belt. You can go back decades and see trends of overfunding and underfunding based upon taxes paid and federal dispursement granted.

In those terms, if you compared the city of Atlanta to the Pittsburgh it would explain a lot of the problems. Some cities get more money back than they cities pay in Federal taxes. To pay for that, other cities get less. The rust belt/sun belt in that way became a self fullfilling prophecy.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #3910818 - 03/13/05 11:27 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but industry stinks.

I live in a city that smells remarkably like an armpit due to the railroad tie factory north of town. With a south wind, you can smell it all the way through town. If I could legally push this business out of town I would do it in a second. It's presence makes the quality of life go down for everyone. Not to mention the pollution we have no choice but to inhale. And the workers? I don't really care. If they need that job so bad they can follow it whereever it goes.

We also have our share of ghost buildings downtown. A very large hotel has sit vacant for thirty years. It is in "historic" downtown, not far from the college. There is motion to get rid of it now, but it would cost $22-$25 million to renovate.

The University is a big fan of downtown rivival, but the rest of the city has no interest in it, instead they just wish to extend the south end of town.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop: Herb Grinder

General Interest >> Political Discussion