Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRaspo
Poopsmith
 User Gallery
Am I understanding this process correctly?
    #3886469 - 03/08/05 08:43 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

I'm going to apologize in advance because I know that you guys don't like answering basic questions that can be found in the teks and faqs, but a foaf is about to try again after failing twice. I really do appreciate all your "guruness" and concern in helping out a dumb newb that just likes to triple check everything!

So this foaf made an attempt at making a couple cakes and another attempt at casing and both attempts failed...I'm going to take a guess that the casings weren't misted enough and dried out (he saw some blue bruising, but a dried up mycelium). All I want is for someone to tell me if I have the right idea for how a casing works...the way I had envisioned this process after reading the teks was...

Sterilize substrate cakes in jars, put the cakes in a warm place (incubation???) for about three to four weeks so that the mycelium can colonize the entire cake. Then, scrape off the top layer of vermiculite, crumble the cake in a plastic bag and pour over sterilized soil. On top of the crumbled substrate, I used organic compost "derived from cow manure", which I had sterilized...is this not a good idea? Should I be using other things such as peat or coir in the casings...?

Anyways, after casing, I'm assuming that the casings should be put back into the incubator with no air exchange for a week (or two??) to let the mycelium grow and get to the surface. When this is complete, the casings are taken out and put in a "fruiting chamber"...and in the fruiting chamber, the temperature will be approximately 10 degrees cooler, with perlite (or geolite?) at the bottom to retain a nice relative humidity...this is where I get confused...but, I had thought that the drop in temperature, the tad bit of light (blue light) and the moisture is what makes these shroomies sprout? Did my foaf do something wrong??? My foaf wants to build a PMP (or attempt to create his own PMP), but he's not sure how it's going to work yet, we just have a heat lamp, a heater (a small fan that produces heat, ups the humidity inside closed containers), and a fan...I'm pretty sure a PMP can be made out of this, but then again, I'm a complete newb, so...

Sorry for the length of this post, I'm just really confused and excited at the same time to work out more experiments...thanks for any help, you guys kick ass.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Am I understanding this process correctly? [Re: Raspo]
    #3886512 - 03/08/05 09:04 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Do not use cow manure compost as a substrate layer, it has nutrients and that means it can harbor contams. The point of a casing layer is to A. provide moisture, and B. make a protective barrier between the nutritive grain and the open air so that if mold spores drop on the non nutritive casing layer it will have more difficult time getting a foothold than if it landed on nutritious grain.

You should use sterilized verm on top. But if soil is all you have I've seen plenty people use it and it works decent. Moisture in the casing layer is really important make sure its not dry. Don't be scared to ask question even if it is in the FAQ. Its stupid guys run around here telling everyone to read the FAQ, sometimes you just need another way of looking at it.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: Am I understanding this process correctly? [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3886557 - 03/08/05 09:27 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Psychoslut said:
Do not use cow manure compost as a casing layer

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags