Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Benign Neglect --> Maitake Mounds?!
    #3883558 - 03/07/05 04:47 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

OK, so most of you are familiar with my recent (failed) attempts at fruting maitake indoors.  After all of my fiddling and attempts at inducing fruting in my grow chamber by strictly controlling temperature, humidity, light, air flow, etc....  I now have a block that decided to start fruting after I threw it in my basement wrek-room and basically ignored it!  Arh.  Here's the story:

I spawned a few supplemented sawdust blocks a la Stamets and grew them out at about 70C.  When they were fully colonized and "rested," and just starting to produce that orange exudate in spots on the spawn, I cut open the tops of the bags and put them in my grow chamber (90-95% humidiy, temp. 50-56F, grow light on 12 hours/off 12 hours, air exchanges by small hepa fan (on low setting) every 2 hours for 5 minutes.)  After 14 days, no sign of mound formation.

Since I wanted to salvage the blocks somehow and plant them outside in the spring, I decided to put a layer of potting soil on the tops of the blocks and just set them in a cupboard until it was warm enough to plant (mist occasionally to keep from totally drying out).  Well one block got attacked by mold, so I tossed it.  The other block was getting in the way in my kitchen cupboard so I just threw it down in my basement shop area for storage.  After about a week and a half, look what I find (it looks wet because I had just misted the soil):

FYI, the conditions in my basement shop area usually as follows:  (66 - 72F, humidity about 30%, an overhead incandesent light on probably about 6 hours a day, and a single grow light on 12/off 12 about 20 feet away that's keeping some ivy of mine alive.)

If anything, this proves we don't know *POOP* about the various conditions that makes maitake fruit.  I'm wondering if the soil casing had more to do with this mound formation, or the actual conditions in my basement.

My question now is this:  Do I let this block sit here in the basement as is, misting to keep moist, or do I move it to the grow chamber where I can give it some humidity?  It liked the basement well enough to form a mound, but I'm worried that it's too dry down here to support a full fruting. 
:confused:

Addition on 3/14/05:

So here we are 6 days after those first pictures were posted of the budding maitake mounds:  Note that 2 other mini mounds have poked through, and the "main brain" is continuing to enlarge, but has not showed any signs of frond development yet:

Temperatures are fluctuating between 60 - 68F in the grow chamber, and humidity is around 89% now.  I very lightly mist the mounds once daily, and make sure the soil casing stays moist.

Edited by Basidiocarp (03/13/05 10:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Benign Neglect --> Maitake Mounds?! [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #3884961 - 03/07/05 09:52 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

After all the bags started showing mounds I took them out and put them in the humidity chamber. There is no air exchange, that is a work in progress right now. Unforunately I tossed the bags with the date of inoculation on the patch! So I can't tell you how long they were sitting on the shelf. The back bedroom stays between 55-65 degrees most the times. We'll just have to see what happens.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #3885010 - 03/07/05 09:58 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Here is a real closeup of what is forming:

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3886353 - 03/08/05 07:22 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

cool :cool: :thumbup:

--------------------
buh

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: Benign Neglect --> Maitake Mounds?! [Re: shirley knott]
    #3889501 - 03/08/05 08:35 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Almost like sclerotia are they hard?
cool
WR

--------------------
To old for this place

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Benign Neglect --> Maitake Mounds?! [Re: whiterasta]
    #3889532 - 03/08/05 08:43 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

They're firm, but not-sclerotia hard... the typical "brain stage" of maitake before frond differentiation happens.

I decided to move them back into my grow chamber where they can have some humidity. I figured that the 30% in my basement would desiccate the mounds pretty quickly.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Edited by Basidiocarp (03/08/05 08:43 PM)

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

#3913946 - 03/13/05 10:24 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

*Bump* Check the recent pix in the original post.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #4006536 - 04/02/05 08:36 PM (19 years, 9 hours ago)

Well, my current maitake fruiting attempts are stopped/failed. How are yours?

I took off on spring break and left my grow closet on autopilot. My closet has no air exchange, so I am quite surprised that I had anything left at all. But I lost two maitake blocks to green mold and all three of them had clearly lost a lot of waterweight. I also lost two nameko blocks and three pom pom blocks to the green. But besides the green were roughly 1 pound of hericium on the non-contamed blocks. So not all bad.

So, everything that was in the closet, including the closet itself, is going to get bleach dunked and then placed outside (the former for additional fruiting, the later for a sun radiation bath). I will probably bury the grifola blocks somewhere that I can check on.

It's getting warm. I have a feeling that I am no more than two weeks from morels. I am focusing more on outdoors now, so I will not be attempting anything grifola related until fall. Perhaps I will continue producing woodblocks, if I can sell them or find other places to bury them.

I've managed to reanimate this grifola culture from slants, and wedges are available for trade. A few people are waiting on me for wedges, but I will send all my wedges on Monday. If you want this culture from me, get it from me now as it is going back into storage until fall.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Benign Neglect --> Maitake Mounds?! [Re: YidakiMan]
    #4009882 - 04/03/05 07:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

YidakiMan said:
Well, my current maitake fruiting attempts are stopped/failed. How are yours?

Stalled as well. The mounds got a tiny bit larger since I placed the block in the grow chamber, but then failed to develop fronds or differentiate further. About a week ago they stopped growing, and are now starting to look a bit withered and unhealthy, and so I'm calling this experiment a failure. I, too, will be burying this block outside, and focusing my efforts on warm-weather species and some outdoor cultivation.

--------------------

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#4010554 - 04/03/05 09:56 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Could it be to warm in the chamber, i know they like the real fresh cool air, since it produces a very larg biomass i would think it needs exceedingly large amouts of fresh air.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Benign Neglect --> Maitake Mounds?! [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #4010839 - 04/03/05 11:01 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The temps in my grow chamber were the same (if not lower) than the temp. of my basement where this thing started to fruit. (Basement ran 60-70F, chamber runs 60-65F). Perhaps a drop down to 50-60F a la Stamets would be needed for further frond development. I can tell you from experience, however, that I have failed to initiate mound formation at this temp. of 50-60F in the past.

Air exchange shouldn't be an issue, since I've grown normal oysters (which are VERY sensitive to CO2) in the same chamber.

--------------------

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#4011918 - 04/04/05 07:49 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

ahhhh i see

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom