Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMAGnum
veteran

Opressive Safety
    #3885596 - 03/08/05 12:48 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Does anyone else think that safety is not an excuse to give up our rights and freedoms? I mean, is it right, in the name of safety, to have video survailance everywhere watching what you do in public?

There is a program in NYC where the streets are all on camera and I wonder how far the government's information collecting goes. There are other forms of opressive safety that are out there as well and it alarms me to think that people in our contry allow it.

Discuss.

--------------------
Agent 727

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Opressive Safety [Re: MAGnum]
    #3885947 - 03/08/05 02:47 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yes, just like mandatory seatbelt laws, and how you can be jailed for attempted suicide. I think the government is attempting to overstep its boundaries in many ways.

OfflinePsilocinSam
Jester To TheHall Of TheMushroom King

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Opressive Safety [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3885956 - 03/08/05 02:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Safety can only be considered oppressive when it interferes with our ability to act in the way we choose (without harming others).

So the camera's are a good thing, as long as they don't pry into private spaces (homes). Seat belt laws are just common sense, although I still can't see the need for legislation.

The real issue is the anti-terror laws in the UK.

The Home Secretary wants to lock people away (pretty much) indefinitely, without any trial or hearing in court, and says he cannot produce the evidence because it would have to be in public and so would breach the official secrets act.

To me this seems a rather dangerous and oppressive form of safety legislation. Anyone agree? :mad:

--------------------
We ultimately live in a fractal universe, all parts reflect the infinity of the whole. So why do we maintain that time be any different?

Welcome to 4 my dimensional thoughts!

(Turkish Delight is neither Turkish, nor delightful. So where's the name from?!)

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Opressive Safety [Re: PsilocinSam]
    #3886047 - 03/08/05 03:47 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Oppresive safety is good in the respect to what the oppresiveness is used to fulfill. e.g. is it to the benefit of the individual, or is it for the group of individuals?

Safety belts, traffic laws, etc.. in way of that isn't oppresive, more in line with common sense. (or shall I say uncommon sense)

However denoting what one can and can't to do one's own body given they have the capacity not to directly effect others in a negative manner is ridiculous. (Ethneogen usage) As far as that goes, one needs to be able to demonstrate their capacity for being under the use, first and foremost (licensing) before I think any form of law can be imposed. Different person... different applicability of "oppresiveness".

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Opressive Safety [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3890467 - 03/09/05 12:01 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

so no one wanted to touch the suicide laws?

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #3890574 - 03/09/05 12:23 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Go ahead and kill yourself :thumbup:

Just don't harm others in the process. (Euthenasia)

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

Re: Opressive Safety [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3890589 - 03/09/05 12:26 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

cant even walk across the street anymore

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Opressive Safety [Re: fresh313]
    #3891153 - 03/09/05 02:24 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well, it is illegal in the US to attempt suicide. This I dont get at all. Our government has the audacity to think they can control the choice we all have at every second to take our own lives.

OfflineThe_Walrus
Stranger
Loc: Cambridge, Britain
    #3891446 - 03/09/05 04:31 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The phenomenom that is the 'nanny state' over here in Britain is quite ridiculous. It works on the basis that as citizens we are incabable of looking after ourselves in the most basic way. I think it stems from our societys incomprehension of personal responsibility really. When something happens, it is always something else to blame. I find it patronising really, it is basically saying that I have no free will, and that I am essentially a robot programmed by society/the environment. Of course the other extreme is no better, where all actions are purely consequences of personal choice. In reality I believe actions are both the result of free will and environmental/external pressure, and that society should recognise that it is possible to have both, rather than one or the other.

--------------------
'Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted' - Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order