Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebjjrevol
Jiujitsuka

Loc: AZ
Basic trades
    #3885154 - 03/08/05 12:37 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, so lots of highly placed people in global economic and private institutions are worried about a potential serious collapse in the U.S. economy, linked to massive trade deficits, enormous foreign debt, and the beginning of Baby Boomer retirement, which most people have as beginning in three years or so. Needless to say, if we go down, much of the global economy, especially in north america, will be up shit's creek. I personally think it's a consequence of the constant trend of the nations in the core of the global economic system to pursue ever more profitable central industries that are proportionally further removed from the production of the basic necessities of life.
So, this being said, if and when it all goes to shit there isn't going to be a whole lot of room for what I would call occupations of marginal utility. That is to say, we, as a post industrial economy, produce patents, high-tech services, etc.; basically a lot of shit that people don't really, on the most basic level, need to survive, and therefore would seem to be subject to strong deemphasis in a major economic contraction. So what are we all going to do? I think a good investment would be to learn a basic, useful skill. I can produce pot and mushrooms given supplies, and demand should be high (no pun), but I'd sort of like to learn to do something that would really be useful and in demand. It's a hypothetical scenario, more of a thought experiment, but we're never really that far removed, from a historical viewpoint, from massive and catastrophic systemic change, so it's a pretty good one to think through. Any ideas?

--------------------
"If God wanted people to die with dignity, He wouldn't have created modern medical technology capable of artificially prolonging life." - The Onion

"What is best in life? To crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laugh at the weeping of their women."
- Conan the Barbarian

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Basic trades [Re: bjjrevol]
    #3885287 - 03/08/05 01:26 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

well if shit totally hit the fan and you want to be prepared get into hiking and survival.  nature will still most likely be here unless we unleash the madness.  trick is to be sustainable.  we are currently looking/researching about sustainable properties.  i can do all the food shat, got a good enough understanding of animal husbandry and gardening to keep me and family alive.  but we are also lookign at things liek energy, sewage, clean water etc etc.

despite being calle dparanoid, we are prepping for what im betting will be disaster in teh future.  somone with lots of power is gonna snap with the way this worl dis going.  im just waiting for yanks and china to bump heads...20 years perhaps.  :shiftyeyes:

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Offlinebjjrevol
Jiujitsuka

Re: Basic trades [Re: kadakuda]
    #3885300 - 03/08/05 01:29 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Most estimates make China our economic, technological, and military equal by 2015-18. Is the USA going to take it? fuck no. Yeah, seriously, living off the land's a very worthwhile skill. I'm taking a trip with my cousin elk hunting when I get a chance, just to learn how to butcher and dress the meat, all those useful skills.

--------------------
"If God wanted people to die with dignity, He wouldn't have created modern medical technology capable of artificially prolonging life." - The Onion

"What is best in life? To crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laugh at the weeping of their women."
- Conan the Barbarian

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3885330 - 03/08/05 01:38 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

did you know that if China stopped bailing out the US by paying for our debts, the US economy would utterly collapse?

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
Re: Basic trades [Re: Vvellum]
    #3885350 - 03/08/05 01:42 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ell Eee Gee Ay Ell Eye Zee Eee

--------------------
delta9

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: Basic trades [Re: delta9]
    #3885380 - 03/08/05 01:50 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

somthing is gonna give, and hopefully whoever freaks-the-fuck-out isnt nuclear. is our end gonna be biological?

anyway i got a long ways to go in covering the roof in aluminum foil. i should get off the computer.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

Invisiblericochet
Re: Basic trades [Re: kadakuda]
    #3885420 - 03/08/05 02:00 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

some good points here that I mostly agree with but am too lazy to really expound on.

I will say that I don't believe we're going to revert back 100+ years if our economy does collapse. things will not be as easy and efficient as they are currently, but we're not going to be living in tents with candles and cooking our homegrown vegetables by fire. some may choose to do this, which is fine but won't really be necessary.

I do agree we need to have some more tangible trades such as carpentry (sustainable, bio-friendly is a plus), farming (organic is always a plus), and basically anything that doesn't rely on our current economy/technology so much.

things in the U.S. are going to get really "bad" one day but will not be on the level as the pre-industrialization days. is that really a bad thing, though? I probably won't be around anyway but will definitely be affected by it, as will the rest of the world. I don't think we'll have to worry about a nuclear attack, though.

Offlinebjjrevol
Jiujitsuka

Re: Basic trades [Re: ricochet]
    #3886699 - 03/08/05 12:03 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Agreed, I don't think it's possible to return to a pre-industrial way of life now without a major downward population adjustment. What I'm talking about here is essentially another Great Depression. How would we get by? I'm not forseeing a whole hell of a lot of demand for the skill sets we emphasize in production now. So, what do you all think would be in demand? Assume conditions of massive unemployment, tremendous inflation, insolvent banks, all that good stuff.

--------------------

- Conan the Barbarian

OfflineWildRunner
Obey little,Resist much

Loc: Where the wild things are
    #3886960 - 03/08/05 01:12 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I think the big question is, are we gonna see it in our life time, or in the generations that come after us?
ie. can we just keep our heads down, like every generation has one before us, and just passed it on to the new, or do we need to actually start thinking with different minds about new possibilities and new solutions?

Personally, if this all happens, you can find me in the sticks, going wild.

--------------------
If you dont know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub