Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTeddyKGB
Dirty Bulgarian
Possible Overlay Picture
    #3884613 - 03/07/05 09:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

hey to all
this is mfoaf's fourth attempt trying to grow and the first using jars instead of a kit he bought that failed. He's not sure if these pictures are overlay. He put them in the fruiting chamber on Thursday so its been 4 days and the humidity has been at 95% with a temp 0f 74-76. It seems like the mycelium hasn't really stopped growing as it was much less colonized when he put it in the fruiting chamber. He started misting it on Saturday since the humidity had stayed so high and there was a lot of condensation on the walls. Also that green thing is something called an "air lock" from the company who sold the kit. They claim that with the filtered air pump that it comes with, that lock should effectively remove CO2. I;m a bit skeptical. The company is called Mushroom Magic. Anyone heard of anything like an air lock? Someone PLEASE help me. I;m desperate.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletahoe
Noob Slayer
Male User Gallery

Loc: N38.93829W119.98108
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Possible Overlay Picture [Re: TeddyKGB]
    #3884664 - 03/07/05 09:07 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yes its overlay

--------------------
Stop experimenting half way through your first grow. Grow it to maturity, watch it, learn from it. Do this a few times then experiment with different ideas and figure out what works best for you.

My Legacy
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22140987#22140987

Teh=The
I need to proofread

OfflineTeddyKGB
Dirty Bulgarian
Re: Possible Overlay Picture [Re: tahoe]
    #3884813 - 03/07/05 09:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

is it salvageable?

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Possible Overlay Picture [Re: tahoe]
    #3884822 - 03/07/05 09:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yellowish TinG + matteddownness = Overlay

Just scrape and recase...

Here's your problems I'm guessing...
>He started misting it on Saturday since the humidity had stayed so high and there was a lot of condensation on the walls.

>airlock

C02 is heavier than air, it can't pull co2 out if it's not by the bottom =\
Airlocks, i've heard of, how does that work exactly?
If it sucks air Out of ur chamber then you get neg. pressure and need an opening somewhere to let air in..Filtered air that is...

-Gnostic

Never mist when primordia is forming (knots)
Well, never spray directly on casing

>

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Possible Overlay Picture [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3884831 - 03/07/05 09:32 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

>is it salvageable?

Yes

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3884859 - 03/07/05 09:38 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This is pretty much everything that you need to know...
Read it all...W/e you don't understand, Quote it and post about it and you won't get flamed...Everyone loves a nOOb that reads before they ask :thumbup:

Just read a bit and i'm sure you'll get out what you put in...Gl

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/7975 < Apprentice casing Tek

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23444 < When to put in FC conditions

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23689 < Other important stuff

OfflineTeddyKGB
Dirty Bulgarian
    #3884874 - 03/07/05 09:40 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yeah there is an air pump attached to a bio filter that lets in filtered air. I really don't think the air lock pulls air out. I figure that when the air builds up it is pushed out of the terrerium through the only two opnenings, the air lock and the bio filter patch on the clear curtain that is covering the top. Like I said though, the air lock comes from a kit that has failed 3 times so I am skeptical about how well it works

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3884890 - 03/07/05 09:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It sounds like it does it's job, but read up on the links that i just posted, you'll probably find out where you messed up and then next time around you won't be so...i donno, Gl

-Gnostic

OfflineTeddyKGB
Dirty Bulgarian
    #3884956 - 03/07/05 09:51 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I really think its the high CO2 but I;m not sure. Is a single hose, small air pump typically enough to provide adequate air exchange?
Thanks for the help gnostic, i've read the first two before, and I;ve followed everything to the finest detail. So if I scrape and recase, does it have to go back to incubation conditions?

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3884974 - 03/07/05 09:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You can, i'm not sure if it's optimal though, but i personally would.
Let the myc. break surface(or when its just right below the casing layer)
Then put into FC conditions...And don't mist directly on the casings if u have been...

Did you have primorida forming on the previous pic?

OfflineTeddyKGB
Dirty Bulgarian
    #3884993 - 03/07/05 09:56 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

which one? the air lock pic or the overlay pic?
The one in the air lock pic I just put in the FC today and the overlayed one doesn't have pins yet

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3885031 - 03/07/05 10:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

O sorry, I meant the pic 1st with that had overlay, did it ever start to form knots?

Edited by IGnosticAbhorI (03/07/05 10:05 PM)

OfflineTeddyKGB
Dirty Bulgarian
    #3885060 - 03/07/05 10:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well, when I look up close it seems like some of the mycelium is projecting into the air from the larger clumps of mycelium. This is my first time getting to this point so I'm not entirely sure, but if they were turning into knots, they are very small as the projections I mentioned were only about the size of a pin head, pardon the pun.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #3886303 - 03/08/05 06:43 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

First of all read this: Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy. Those casings should have been initiated long before 4 days ago. I agree there is definitely patches of overlay which will definitely hurt your pin count especially since thats only at day 4. One tip after placing the casing layer on your casing you have a choice depending on the aggressiveness of the mycelium, you can either initiate fruiting immediately or incubate for 3-4 days then initiate fruiting regardless of surface colonization. Some people wait until 20-30% of the mycelium has shown in the valleys, this in most instances will hurt more casing than not, at least until they have some extensive casing experience. Remember it's not a perfect world and all we can really do is grow in the optimal ranges and fine tune our pinning skills which I've already given you a great link to a great start. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Possible Overlay Picture [Re: hyphae]
    #3886430 - 03/08/05 08:24 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Dont toss the shit though man. Overlaid casings:

Those pictures are 12-14 days AFTER I put into the fruiting chamber (3 days incubations too). They finally pinned though and they still turned out ok.

You can see patches where theres no mushrooms, it hurt my yeild for sure. Overlay does NOT equal a dead casing though! Just let the casing go, you can add some fresh sterile casing mix (very lightly) to it too if theres no promordia yet. Ariel strans of hyphae are not primordia. They will look like VERY tiny balls, or Nerds (the candy).

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineTeddyKGB
Dirty Bulgarian
Re: Possible Overlay Picture [Re: hyphae]
    #3886501 - 03/08/05 08:59 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks a lot hyphae. Good stuff. So do you think I should try scratching it or just leave it be? The humidity has been btwn 95-98 so do I even have to mist it?

OfflineTeddyKGB
Dirty Bulgarian
    #3886505 - 03/08/05 09:02 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks scat. I ran a search before and I actually already had those pics bookmarked. they've been giving me hop especially since mine are GT's too, and they were really quick colonizig the substrate just like you said yours did in another post.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3886575 - 03/08/05 09:34 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah I started cold shocking GT's before I just stopped growing them all together..

Scratching can hurt more then help...I very rarly suggest it while waiting for a flush. Especially to those who cant spot priomordia easily..never know when it might pop up and you dont want to destroy it if you have it starting and just cant tell.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Possible Overlay Picture [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3887028 - 03/08/05 11:34 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I agree with scat let it be this time and use it as a lesson, unless it's matted down then a scratching and a light sprinkle of casing (1/8") will help. Like scat said sometimes in the beginning spotting pins can be a problem, I find look for knotting first then pins (little white dots) will soon follow. GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract