Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Heart Mandala * 1
    #3881922 - 03/07/05 09:02 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

I don't think that the Buddha's teaching are really meant for the eyebrows up. The Buddha's teaching and the teachings of enlightenment more importantly... even in the Buddhist teaching, the true, authentic teachings of enlightenment, if one could say such a thing,  are, if nothing else, about the heart, opening the heart and mind, not just about the mind and thought and clarity.  But they're about warmth, kindness and love. Unconditional love, "divine love," so-called.  True love, warmth. Not cold detachment, but a very warm, spiritual equanimity, equal to all-detachment, which can help us to treat others as we ourselves would be treated.  Actually, a training in how to do that, not just a rule that we should do that......  recognizing our intrinsic connection,  our total interconnectedness. 

Even more, even more scary, not just interconnected like train cars coupled by a small piece of iron at the ends, but totally interpenetrative and inseparable.  Totally interpenetrative and inseparable from each other and all those around us and the entire mandala of being or holograph, cosmic web of being, imaged in Mahayana sutras as Indra's net.  Each node of the net is a luminous diamond or pearl, like a mirror-like jewel that reflects and contains all the others.  Think about that. That's what mandala means, or a holograph. Indra's net, where each of us is like a luminous jewel that reflects and therefore contains all the others.  :heart:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Edited by egghead1 (03/07/05 09:14 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Heart Mandala [Re: egghead1]
    #3881930 - 03/07/05 09:06 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

sweet!
kinda raised my eyebrows

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3882001 - 03/07/05 09:43 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Beautiful post :egg:....  :grin:

I don't know everything about other Spiritualities(I am learning), but I have noticed one thing of some people....  When someone posts, they don't really tie a name to their Belief or Philosophy, so I only really get a "feeling" for what they are trying to teach, without a name or "tag" to go with it's meaning(besides the person's name posting)....  And they seem to be very knowledgable in what they speak....  Some of those people seem to focus on instilling doubt about one's ego, but they never ever mention anything about the heart (that I have noticed)....  This notion hit me last Friday, and I have been meaning to ask "why that is" of a few people here, I had just not done it yet....

Funny you should make this post about that very thing....  :smile:

ME....

:heartpump:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Heart Mandala [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3882025 - 03/07/05 09:52 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

phantom, I would reccommend that the personal interpretations are very valuable - always better when you can see where it comes from.
particularly

"egghead1-ism"

and you could say that "redgreenvines-ism" involves eyebrows

each one of us -ism is totally where it is at.

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Heart Mandala [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3882247 - 03/07/05 11:23 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Why create an 'ism' at all? the heart's where its at with or without an ism.  :heart:

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3882254 - 03/07/05 11:24 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

not creating it
just appreciating what it ism.

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Heart Mandala [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3882258 - 03/07/05 11:26 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

:lol: Oh! nice. Appreciatism  :heart:

Edited by egghead1 (03/07/05 11:52 AM)

OfflineiTalkToTrees
Stranger
    #3882624 - 03/07/05 01:10 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

hm very good post. it is an interesting parallel to draw. for i have always been of the notion that there have been revolutionary thinkers throughout history. you speak of buddah, he has been a part of a long list that includes the name jesus. dont get touchy, i am in no way a fan of the catholic/christian dogma ridden practice, but his message was pure. it was one of love. however i think buddah was more of 'above the brow' in the sense that he advocated meditation. this was his tool to 'cope' with a life of suffering. some have said that his teachings compare more to a psychological coping strategy than to a ritualized religion. not to take anything away from that tradition, as i am quite involved in it. good post and good topic!

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
    #3882638 - 03/07/05 01:14 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Clever clever, both of you'isms...!  Well, consider me a Phan tom "isms"....  :smile:

:lol:

ME'ism....

:heartpump:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Heart Mandala [Re: iTalkToTrees]
    #3882754 - 03/07/05 01:48 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Jesus was obviously an amazing being who had an incredible impact on the people who in turn helped to spread his teachings. Christianity has alot to offer, just today i met a true Christian who emenated love and compassion which i could honestly feel pouring out of him.

I spoke to him for a while, and what he was saying wasnt much different from the Buddhist perspective at all, his general outlook was that we are all children of God, as God is the omnipresent quintessence of all beings, we are just clouded by our sins, thats why Jesus said he was the son of God and demonstrated miracles, to show us that we all have the same human potential and can join him and his father in the kingdom of heaven by following his teachings, all we really had to do was let jesus into our hearts, to let us be forgiven and melt away our sins. We are all the sons and daughters of God.

None of this is a coping stratergy as such, its just a way of life, to try to embody the teachings that you follow, that way you can know peace and the interconnectiedness of everyone and everything free from the bonds of suffering.  :heart:

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3883142 - 03/07/05 03:08 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

A few homemade mandalas for your thread  :smile:

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3883185 - 03/07/05 03:19 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

egghead1 said:
Jesus was obviously an amazing being who had an incredible impact on the people who in turn helped to spread his teachings. Christianity has alot to offer, just today i met a true Christian who emenated love and compassion which i could honestly feel pouring out of him.

I spoke to him for a while, and what he was saying wasnt much different from the Buddhist perspective at all, his general outlook was that we are all children of God, as God is the omnipresent quintessence of all beings, we are just clouded by our sins, thats why Jesus said he was the son of God and demonstrated miracles, to show us that we all have the same human potential and can join him and his father in the kingdom of heaven by following his teachings, all we really had to do was let jesus into our hearts, to let us be forgiven and melt away our sins. We are all the sons and daughters of God.

None of this is a coping stratergy as such, its just a way of life, to try to embody the teachings that you follow, that way you can know peace and the interconnectiedness of everyone and everything free from the bonds of suffering.  :heart:

other than the emphasis of compassion within the Bodhisattva traditions of Mahayana Buddhism, I see little similarities between Christianity and Buddhism. The differences completely outweigh what they share in common.

I do see similarities between the teachings of the Bhagavad-Gita and Christianity. Let Krshna be your chariot driver and devote your living to his glory and love, you shall find liberation. The teachings of Buddhism, on the other hand, are far different than Christianity.

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
    #3883189 - 03/07/05 03:20 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

:heart:One Love :heart:

It all rolls into one Hunter/Garcia

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Heart Mandala [Re: Vvellum]
    #3883304 - 03/07/05 03:43 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

In the Christian Bible, in the Book of John, Chapter XVI, Verse 12, Jesus Christ tells his disciples, "I have yet many things to say unto ye, but ye cannot bear them now." That is to say, what Christ did teach his disciples was only a small part of what he  knew, because the level of understanding of his disciples at that time was such that he could only absorb so much. Unfortunately, Jesus died at the age of 33.  Time did not allow him to give his disciples a complete course of teaching. What Christ knew and did not say remains an unanswerable question.

On the other hand, Buddha lived for 80 years.  He had 45 full years from the time of his enlightenment to teach his disciples: long enough to gradually lead his disciples to learn and practice various stages  of teaching, from a self-centered liberation from human suffering to  the most profound supramundane doctrine.

If we assume that these founders of two of the greatest religions on earth were both persons possessed of profound wisdom, then many teachings expounded by Buddha could be those which Christ knew but did not have time to teach.

It seems to me that the study of Buddhism by Christians can have a special significance, that is, the search for what Christ knew but did not say. Love and Devotion are the main tools utilized in Christianty simply becuase meditation may not have been applicable to the culture, capacity and receptability of the people at that time. Remember Love and Devotion are also used extensivley throughout Buddhism.

Personally my view is that each of us - you and me - stands at the center of his or her own truth. Throughout the ages, saints, sages, and holy men and women have all discovered the same thing - that truth is found by living truly. Awareness is the essential ingredient in a spiritual life. Seekers walk the spiritual path to enlightenment because they believe it will bring a true understanding of reality - an understanding of "what is" and how things work. The spiritual path is best walked step by step, very mindfully, with as much consciousness and commitment as one can summon.

I firmly believe that we've all been touched by the sacred, no matter how fleeting. We've known breakthroughs, epiphanies, and blessed times of grace, no matter how ephemeral. Often these vivid moments happen when we are children. People tell me they remember times, albeit brief, when the smoky veils of illusion and delusion lifted, and they were literally able to "see the light." Others have related childhood memories that include relationships with angels. Still others say they had no such otherworldy encounters, yet they remember experiencing a sense of cosmic divine love, a magical universe of goodness, interconnectedness, and belonging so profound that it inspired them for a lifetime...  :heart:

--------------------

Edited by egghead1 (03/07/05 04:01 PM)

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Re: Heart Mandala [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3883321 - 03/07/05 03:47 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Thanks  :heart:  Markos, they are very beautiful!

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3883331 - 03/07/05 03:49 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Thank you Egghead1...I was just having some childlike fun for a change.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

#3883387 - 03/07/05 04:00 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

In the Christian Bible, in the Book of John, Chapter XVI, Verse 12, Jesus Christ tells his disciples, "I have yet many things to say unto ye, but ye cannot bear them now." That is to say, what Christ did teach his disciples was only a small part of what he knew, because the level of understanding of his disciples at that time was such that he could only absorb so much. Unfortunately, Jesus died at the age of 33. Time did not allow him to give his disciples a complete course of teaching. What Christ knew and did not say remains an unanswerable question.

On the other hand, Buddha lived for 80 years. He had 45 full years from the time of his enlightenment to teach his disciples: long enough to gradually lead his disciples to learn and practice various stages of teaching, from a self-centered liberation from human suffering to the most profound supramundane doctrine.

If we assume that these founders of two of the greatest religions on earth were both persons possessed of profound wisdom, then many teachings expounded by Buddha could be those which Christ knew but did not have time to teach.

...perhaps, but that is all mere speculation. Let's talk about the known: Chrisitanity and Buddhism - as is.

Quote:

Remember Love and Devotion are also used extensivley throughout Buddhism.

Correct, but I suspect they are practiced and emphasized for different reasons and within different contexts. Love and Devotion, to a Christian, means Love of God and Devotion to God. In Buddhism, gods are either non-existant or irrevelent to one's liberation. The closest Buddhism gets to devotion to some sort of metaphysical being is the devotion of a bodhisattva - these are hardly gods - simply beings that have delayed their own final nirvana in order to help others.

Buddhism and Christianity - while some sort of synthesis of the two can be interesting and while there might be minimal similarities here and there - are fundamentally different worldviews.

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#3883416 - 03/07/05 04:09 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

All of these concepts to me are quite irrelevant to the brass tacks of the spiritual path, as it is. If one commits oneself with devotion and concentration in every moment, to whatever spiritual path one is  following, it will inevitably have the same result. It all depends on ones commitment. The truth is the living underlying context of all paths. The Absolute doesnt change with the Relative.

On the relative one maybe a Christian, Hindu, Buddhist, or whatever, but ultimatly we have the same heart, the same nature that connects us all whatever vocabulary you use to describe it. :heart:

Edited by egghead1 (03/07/05 04:25 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3883469 - 03/07/05 04:22 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

some will prefer to argue
it comes naturally

--------------------

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

#3883563 - 03/07/05 04:50 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Also in the higher vehicles of Vajrayana Buddhism, Guru devotion is the primary and most important of all practices, everything else is secondary, just as in Christinity, devotion to God is primary and everything else is secondary, there is no conflict. Different paths, same realization.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder