Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShroomfish
Shroom with theFishes!
 User Gallery

Loc: Tampa area
Help ID'ing a FL species
    #3883285 - 03/07/05 03:38 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Hi, this is my first post but I have been reading Shroomery posts for well over a year and have grown several successful p. cubensis batches since.  I am also a fairly seasoned shroom hunter here in central Florida.

Anyway, while I am competent at ID'ing cubensis and blue meanie (c. cyanescens) mushrooms in the field, there are a few species that also grow in cow dung that I have not been able to identify from the internet.  Though it is early in the season, I went out to a favorite cow pasture this past weekend after a week or so of rain and, while there was nary a cubensis to be found  :sad:, I decided to gather a few of these mystery fungi for some of you more practiced shroom hunters to try and identify.

Here is the requested ID'ing info:

A)Habitat - Brandon (East Tampa), FL, in a cow pasture growing directly out of a dung patty in the shade after some rains.

B)Gills - Pretty much the same color as the top of the cap, a pink/orange-ish color.  See pics.

C)Size - Caps about 1-2" across, stems 3-4" or so.

D)Stem - Very near in color to cap, squishy like most shrooms are.

E)Cap - See above and pics.

F)Spore Print - After I took the spore prints and looked at them, I thought the shrooms weren't sporulating, but after I looked closer, I found perfect white spore prints under the caps.  They're on the paper in the pics but pretty much impossible to see.

G)Bruising - These mushrooms didn't bruise at all.

H)Scent - Typical shroomy smell.

I hope someone is familiar with this species, they've intrigued me for a while.  Thanks guys!  :grin:

--Shroomfish

--------------------
--Shroomfish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Help ID'ing a FL species [Re: Shroomfish]
    #3883556 - 03/07/05 04:47 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Those orange capped w shrooms would not leave a white print on white paper. Tho spores and gills of s your shroom are most liklley ochreaceous of cinnamon to orange colored. possibly a gym species but not sure.

But they would not p make a white print with the orange gills as hshown in yor second image.

mj

Offlinedonkeyballs
People areStrange whenyour a Stranger!

#3883775 - 03/07/05 05:48 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Hey ShroomFish, I don't know what these are called but I have found hundreds of these in the woods and along trails in my area. I posted once to get someone to ID on them but no one could come up with a positive ID. I am really interested to find out what they are called. PCE :stoned:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/05-04/705731426-thumb_cy2.jpg

Edited by donkeyballs (03/07/05 05:52 PM)

Offlinecamelsmoker
smoke up
 User Gallery

Loc: The Dirty Dirty
Re: Help ID'ing a FL species [Re: donkeyballs]
    #3883850 - 03/07/05 06:06 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

shrooms like those are never worth your time...

--------------------
THE LUNATIC IS IN MY HEAD
<----(o)---->
Check out www.alexgrey.com! He does tools artwork from lateralus.
No harm can come from questioning. "Best" case scenerio: You prove it right without relying on the fact that it is widely accepted. Argument strengthened. "Worst" case scenerio: You realize you might have been wrong. The new answer might or might not be what you want to hear, but it beats defending yourself with bullshit.
Qoted from (Koala Koolio)

OfflineShroomfish
Shroom with theFishes!
 User Gallery

Re: Help ID'ing a FL species [Re: camelsmoker]
    #3884112 - 03/07/05 07:04 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

they certainly made a white print. it was very distinct and a perfect image of the gills. and camelsmoker, i was 95% sure these are inactive shrooms, i was just curious to see if anyone was familiar. i've found them time and time again while searching and was just curious if maybe they were toxic or whathaveyou.

thanks guys, hope someone can id 'em!

--shroomfish

--------------------
--Shroomfish

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3884549 - 03/07/05 08:49 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Those look amazingly like Laccarias, but Laccaria is a genus of mycorrizal fungi that is not known to fruit from dung. This makes me think they are something else. However, Arora reports that Laccaria "are among the few mycorrhizal species that are easily raised to fruition in the laboratory." I assume this means they can grow saprophyticly, and if this is the case, then they may have adapted to living in dung.

It seems we have a mystery here. :strokebeard:
I'd like to see a close-up shot of the gills, and I'd like to see a spore print on black paper to verify white spores.

They also resemble Camarophyllus, which also drops white spores, but I think they look more like Laccarias.

OfflineShroomfish
Shroom with theFishes!
 User Gallery

Re: Help ID'ing a FL species [Re: shroomydan]
    #3889174 - 03/08/05 06:56 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

i researched laccaria last night and from what i saw it sure seems like those are the ones. i did pick them out of dung, though it was under some trees... perhaps that could be the cause? anyway, very impressive shroomydan! how the hell do you know so many species?

--shroomfish

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3889475 - 03/08/05 07:55 PM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Years of hunting, and years of reading field guides. It's an obsession I think.  :smile:

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #3892785 - 03/09/05 01:09 PM (19 years, 24 days ago)

hey shroomfish,

id also put my guess on Laccaria

definately nothing of much interest

keep shroomin,
GG

Offlinelostintime420
Stranger
    #14965282 - 08/23/11 11:28 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

you should lay out a bunch of cow dung in a patch of grass and check after it rains man.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck