Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
Went from 3grams dry per cake to 5grams on next batch, could this be why?
    #3882850 - 03/07/05 04:14 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I am still rather new to growing, but am learning and experimenting all the time. During my first few grows, I realized that my terrarium containers were a bit tall(18in.) and humidity is a bit hard to maintain. Well I went up to over 3in of moistened perlite in the bottom. I tried to use as much stuff around the house that I had for my first grow hehe, so I was using empty icecube trays upside down with my cakes on it to give it a little lift. I was only able to fit 8 cakes in a terrarium this way tho, and 2 weeks ago I had 12 jars to birth. So I decided to flip the icecube trays and fill the cube slots with moistened verm and leveled it off. I put 2 of these side by side in terrarium and was able to fit 12 cakes in there, altho the cakes were within 1/2 inch of each other. Well they have been flushing the last 2 days, and shrooms are everywhere. They are coming out of the ice trays, off the bottoms, sides, and tops of the cakes. They seem to be much more robust, quite a few 6inchers. My only explanation is that the verm in the icetrays give the cakes more moisture throughout the fruiting process. The extra perlite probably helped too. Any other ideas? Both were same variety, this current batch done from liquid from spore from first batch. I used same brf mix and the same exact terrarium. Anyway, 5g per cake is not bad for under 2months in the hobby imo hehe. I just did my first G2G transfer this weekend too, so I am really excited. Whoever knew mycology could be so much fun.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Went from 3grams dry per cake to 5grams on next batch, could this be why? [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #3882933 - 03/07/05 04:29 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Casing, look up casings in the search function on theshroomery.

That'll help. Best way to explain, Casing layers give extra moisture to the sub. and the casing layer either gets it from misting (before primorida sets in) or just from the atmosphere, either way, casings help give mushies more water, they're 92% water, so go figure lol.
Nice job btw :thumbup: Got any pics?

-Gnostic

Gl

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
Re: Went from 3grams dry per cake to 5grams on next batch, could this be why? [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #3882944 - 03/07/05 04:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

How did adding ice cube trays increase your area hehe?

You should just dunk and roll hehe.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: Went from 3grams dry per cake to 5grams on next batch, could this be why? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3882945 - 03/07/05 04:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Go here ---> http://www.shroomery.org/index/the/default/par/3168/act/sea

That should help a bit, but you can find even more info. on this site if you just search for it , Gl

-Gnostic

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Re: Went from 3grams dry per cake to 5grams on next batch, could this be why? [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3885393 - 03/08/05 01:53 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

They were dunked and rolled. I just put them on the trays so I could squeeze 12 into the terrarium. I am still pretty new, but I do have some actual casing attempts going in another terrarium. I have one with just 3 brf cakes put it in a small foil container with 50/50 coir/verm added to fill in the gaps and cover the top. The other casing attempt is colonized wbs mixed with 50/50 poo/verm. Both show promise. I plan to go to casing and then bulk in the future, but I got a lot of jars, so I plan to keep cycling them through as possible.

I wish I had a camera hehe. If I did, I would have asked a lot more questions so far, or at least share my experiences some. Thanks for replies and info.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3886384 - 03/08/05 09:44 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

This is also similar to Double End Casing (search). Basicaly put lots of verm under, and on the cake. Holds moisture and pins come from all over. Good job!

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3886862 - 03/08/05 12:46 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Re: Went from 3grams dry per cake to 5grams on next batch, could this be why? [Re: ]
    #3887888 - 03/08/05 05:03 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I don't sterlize my verm for this use and haven't had an issue with contams yet. Hehe, I have some double end casing jars fruiting in a terrarium. I am comparing to totally rolled in verm after dunk. I am new to the hobby, and I am doing a lot of experimenting. In less than 2 months I have learned liquid cultures, brf tek(along with 8 different substrates such as millet and oats etc), wbs, G2G with wbs, rez effect, casing, and I just started working with poo this week. Also, I have 8 strains going atm(Thai, EQ, Taz, Malabar, Orissa India, blue meanie, PESA). I tend to get carried away with my hobbies lol. Should have seen my comic collection back in the day hehe.

Back to the topic of post, doh. There is about 1.5 inches of moistened verm in the ice trays, which is more than is usually used for bottom casing. That probably = more storage of water which affected the yield somewhat. I will do another dozen on the trays and pay more attention compared to dunked/rolled or double cased cakes.

--------------------

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Went from 3grams dry per cake to 5grams on next batch, could this be why? [Re: ]
    #3887906 - 03/08/05 05:08 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

richardcypher101 said:
Is the verm. styrilized when set in, or could it come straight from the bag mixed with some distilled water? Also, for a Double End Casing, does the top later have to be wet as well?

sterilize your verm whenever possible :thumbup:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: Went from 3grams dry per cake to 5grams on next batch, could this be why? [Re: george castanza]
    #3887929 - 03/08/05 05:14 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Vermiculite comes sterile out of the bag. Unless you've had it stored open in a mold ridden closet or somewhere similar, just use it right out of the bag. And the double end casing tek is great for cakes.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Went from 3grams dry per cake to 5grams on next batch, could this be why? [Re: george castanza]
    #3887934 - 03/08/05 05:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

george castanza said:
Quote:

richardcypher101 said:
Is the verm. styrilized when set in, or could it come straight from the bag mixed with some distilled water? Also, for a Double End Casing, does the top later have to be wet as well?

:thumbup:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3888117 - 03/08/05 05:58 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

george castanza said:
Quote:

george castanza said:
Quote:

richardcypher101 said:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineextinguishment
day tripper
 User Gallery

Loc: Further
Re: Went from 3grams dry per cake to 5grams on next batch, could this be why? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4158492 - 05/10/05 07:12 PM (12 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
Quote:

george castanza said:
Quote:

george castanza said:
Quote:

richardcypher101 said:

:blah: :blah: :blah:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation