Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineThe_Red_Crayon
Exposer of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Smokey Mtns. TN Flag
Thousands Raped in Congo.
    #3882574 - 03/07/05 03:02 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,149599,00.html

KINSHASA, Congo ? Militiamen and renegade soldiers have raped and beaten tens of thousands of women and young girls in eastern Congo (search), and nearly all the crimes have gone unpunished by the country's broken judicial system, an international human rights group said Monday.

Hundreds of new rapes are reported every week, but only 10 soldiers and militants have been convicted of rape in relatively lawless eastern Congo since the end of the country's devastating war in 2002, New York-based Human Rights Watch (search) said in a report.

"Perpetrators of sexual violence are members of virtually all the armed forces and armed groups that operate in eastern Congo," according to the 52-page report.

"The Congolese justice system has to date failed to address the egregious problem."

Rape is often a preferred weapon of armed groups fighting the east's myriad battles, as it was during the 1998-2002 war ? Monday's report quotes a World Health Organization (search) study that documented over 40,000 rapes in two eastern provinces during the conflict.

Marauding gunmen gang-raped children as young as 3-years-old, and often raped women and young girls ? some to the point of death ? as their families helplessly watched, the report said.

At least 10 women were being raped every day in the tiny, embattled town of Bunia (search) as recently as October 2004, according to the report.

Warring ethnic Hema and Lendu militia continue to terrorize Bunia ? kicking down doors in the night and snatching girls in the fields ? despite the presence of thousands of U.N. peacekeepers based there.

Peacekeepers in Bunia have also been accused of raping young girls living in the town's sprawling camp for those displaced by fighting, or trading sweets and pocket change for sex.

The United Nations (search) reported Saturday that Lendu militia in the northern Ituri province (search) had kidnapped thousands of people and used many of them as sex slaves.

In some cases, even boys and men were being raped by armed groups.

In all, the report states that "tens of thousands" of rapes had been reported, and many more are believed to have gone unreported.

Despite the creation of a transitional government in 2003 that ended Congo's five-year war, the long arm of the law has yet to reach the troubled east.

Outdated rape laws, lack of police and criminal courts, and widespread failure to see rape as a crime make it impossible for the few prosecutors to pursue rapists, said Juliane Kippenberg, researcher and spokeswomen for Human Rights Watch.

"Prosecutors rarely have the support or the funds to properly do their jobs," said Kippenberg. "Most of these cases eventually get thrown out. The justice system is failing these people."

Kippenberg said many young girls are also too afraid or embarrassed to report rape to their parents, or to military authorities in the region. Many die from lack of medical attention after being raped, and some commit suicide rather than seek help.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Thousands Raped in Congo. [Re: The_Red_Crayon]
    #3882598 - 03/07/05 03:05 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Where's the USA when you need 'em?

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Thousands Raped in Congo. [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3882753 - 03/07/05 03:48 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Busy raping the Middle East...

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Thousands Raped in Congo. [Re: Rono]
    #3882821 - 03/07/05 04:06 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3882911 - 03/07/05 04:25 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Where is Europe, Asia, Australia and S. America?

Apparantly the UN is as useless as ever.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Thousands Raped in Congo. [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3883019 - 03/07/05 04:43 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

i thought it was suppose to get better, when they kicked out all the evil white people.

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Thousands Raped in Congo. [Re: lonestar2004]
    #3883067 - 03/07/05 04:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Think it is better to them; now they're the ones being evil. (It's a job, somebody's got to do it.)

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Thousands Raped in Congo. [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3883234 - 03/07/05 05:28 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Psychoactive1984 said:

Innvertigo said:

Where is Europe, Asia, Australia and S. America?

Apparantly the UN is as useless as ever.

It is a no win situation for the U.S. If we do nothing we will be vilified for "not caring". If we do something we will be vilified for being intrusive and sticking our noses in other people's business.

Innvertigo's comment is dead on. The UN and Europe won't do shit...and nobody will chastise them.

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Thousands Raped in Congo. [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3883354 - 03/07/05 05:53 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, except the US (ol' Bushy) is always claiming to be interested in bringing democracy and freedom to oppressed people, by force if need be.

These people could use a bit of that right now, right?

It just exposes the lie of ol' Bushy.

Who here thinks if Congo had oil like Iraq does, there would be a liberation force dispatched immediatley?

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Thousands Raped in Congo. [Re: carbonhoots]
    #3883384 - 03/07/05 06:00 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, except the US (ol' Bushy) is always claiming to be interested in bringing democracy and freedom to oppressed people, by force if need be.

Who here thinks if Congo had oil like Iraq does, there would be a liberation force dispatched immediatley?

America has an interest in bringing democracy and prosperity to the Middle East. If it succeeds we will defuse a lot of Muslim anger and therefore lessen the threat of terrorism. Hopefully, stability will eventually be the norm and because of that oil will flow harmoniously also.

Bringing democracy and prosperity to Africa will not benefit us at all. Therefore, why should we do it?

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
    #3883495 - 03/07/05 06:29 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

carbonhoots said:

I can understand how freedom from oppression would benefit these people but can you explain how democracy would help them? What if the people doing the oppressing are in the majority?

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #3883546 - 03/07/05 06:42 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

carbonhoots said:

It just exposes the lie of ol' Bushy. 

:yesnod: :handth:

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3883988 - 03/07/05 08:33 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Outdated rape laws, lack of police and criminal courts, and widespread failure to see rape as a crime make it impossible for the few prosecutors to pursue rapists, said Juliane Kippenberg, researcher and spokeswomen for Human Rights Watch.

i wonder what a crime is then?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Thousands Raped in Congo. [Re: kaiowas]
    #3883997 - 03/07/05 08:35 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.UN-dictionary.com

Crime: That which impedes the flow of resources, and/or get's in the way of economic development.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

#3884036 - 03/07/05 08:45 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:

Crime: That which impedes the flow of resources, and/or get's in the way of economic development.

then rape is still a crime.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #3884057 - 03/07/05 08:50 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

kaiowas said:
Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:

doh! left off some of the definition, it continues as: Affects one of the major, important countries economically such as USA, Russia, China, or any other country with power. (as obviosly not many countries give a shit about African countries other then a source of news).

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

#3884079 - 03/07/05 08:55 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:
Quote:

kaiowas said:
Quote:

Psychoactive1984 said:

doh! left off some of the definition, it continues as: Affects one of the major, important countries economically such as USA, Russia, China, or any other country with power. (as obviosly not many countries give a shit about African countries other then a source of news).

:lol:

gotta love definitions dude.

I jsut love how none of this has been reported at all on the American News.  heh, there's an oxymoron for ya!

--------------------

Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
    #3884098 - 03/07/05 09:01 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

This is a very disgusting problem. 1/4 of all the women in the world have been raped. There's a general disrepect for women in this world. I'm sick of it. Young and old women are made sex slaves in North Korea. Although there are some incidents where a man is the victim, the majority of rape victims are women. A man in prison in America has the same chance of being raped as a woman civilian in America does. This is a worldwide problem. Endemic to everywhere.

Yea and people get raped in the United States, so what fuck good is democracy?

Edited by trick (03/07/05 09:02 PM)

Invisiblecarbonhoots
old hand

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Thousands Raped in Congo. [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3884267 - 03/07/05 09:52 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Bringing democracy and prosperity to Africa will not benefit us at all. Therefore, why should we do it?

1) The USA, through it's President, constantly espouses it's intentions to spread democracy in the world as a means of spreading freedom and justice. Regardless of it's direct benefit to the USA.

2) The president and the USA in general claim to be Christian. Jesus commands that we give without expecting repayment.

If the USA's actions were consistent with it's words, it would intervene to stop the madness of 10,000 rapes.

--------------------
  -I'd rather have a frontal lobotomy than a bottle in front of me

CANADIAN CENTER FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVES

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #3884293 - 03/07/05 09:58 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

THOUSANDS RAPED IN CONGO!

but we are talking about....

USA fault

USA raping the middle east

Democracy Sucks

Bush Lies

Oil

Jesus

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion