Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

Loc: Toronto
Safer casing mix
    #3881013 - 03/07/05 12:43 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

I've used coir/verm (about 70/30) in all my casings thus far and it gives great results. Occasionally it has gotten hit by trich though, much less often now that I run HEPAs and have a Martha setup going.

The problem is, I'd like to try straw again but my previous straw attempts have had the casing layer hit by trich. I managed to get the straw fully colonized without any problems but this apartment seems to have a high spore count or something.

I'm guessing coir provides some nutrition for the trich since it's organic material. Would casing with 100% verm help this problem? How about altering the pH of the casing mix?

Thanks guys  :smile:

--------------------
Note: This post is entirely false. The author of this post is a delusional schizophrenic living in a fantasy world and the fantastical information within the post is a direct result of excess exposure to cable television.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineazurescens
Re: Safer casing mix [Re: wynzlo]
    #3881030 - 03/07/05 12:50 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

there are no nutes in coir that I am aware of.

Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

Re: Safer casing mix [Re: azurescens]
    #3881041 - 03/07/05 12:54 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

It doesn't seem like it has nutes, but why would the trich grow on it? Verm is obviously inorganic, so is it just the water being held by the casing mix that aids in trich bloom?

--------------------
Note: This post is entirely false. The author of this post is a delusional schizophrenic living in a fantasy world and the fantastical information within the post is a direct result of excess exposure to cable television.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #3881046 - 03/07/05 12:56 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

^^^^^^^
Thats not true, coir is slightly nutritious. Verm could help bring that contam rate down. I would case the bulk in straight verm instead of a coir mix. I take it your pasteurizing???

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

Re: Safer casing mix [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3881057 - 03/07/05 01:00 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Yeah I'm definitely pastueurizing, along with being extremely sanitary. In the past I pretty much followed Shroomgod's straw tek and got beautifully colonized bricks. It was so sad to throw them out :frown:

--------------------

Offlineazurescens
    #3881060 - 03/07/05 01:01 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

The same reason the cob web will grow on straight verm. mold and fungus do not need nutes to grow.

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3881063 - 03/07/05 01:05 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Mushrooms and mold are both fungi. But reducing the amount of nutes you have in your casing can help reduce the percentage of contams.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

#3881064 - 03/07/05 01:06 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Apart from general cleanliness what other steps could I take azurescens? Should I hook up a cool mist to a couple tubs for more air flow?

--------------------

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3881075 - 03/07/05 01:12 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Once you see trich growth on the surface of your casing, it has all ready been colonizing the once mycelia colonized substrate. It takes over and then breaks the surface to release its spores. The mycelium of trich is also white like mushy myc. But once you see it often enough you can tell the difference between the two. That is why with a non-nutritious layer you will still get contams.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Offlineazurescens
    #3881097 - 03/07/05 01:21 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

I'd be lying if I said I knew a sure fire way to conquer your problem. I only know what has worked for me in the past and what works for me now. Once my casing is applied, I ALWAYS spray lightly with an H2O2 solution and do so every few days or so.

Offlineazurescens
    #3881106 - 03/07/05 01:24 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

When mixing my casing(50/50 coir/verm), I always use diluted water along with H2O2 added into the water before pouring into mix. I let the mix sit overnght to allow for a full absorbtion. Then I say nice things to it to give confidence along with a little nice music to help it along. Just my weird ways but I have yet to encounter any contams in any of my grows aside from a very early on brf grow when I first started out.

Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

#3881132 - 03/07/05 01:34 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Thanks for the input guys

azurescens: what kinda music does the myc seem to enjoy? some classical? or does do harder tunes get it all pumped for colonization?  :laugh:

--------------------

Offlineazurescens
    #3881141 - 03/07/05 01:36 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Gotta be honest when I say that I love the techno beats and the same goes for the kids. I think it's the whole math behind the music that resonates with them. Have you had any luck at all on the grows?

Offlineazurescens
    #3881147 - 03/07/05 01:37 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

I just re-read my above post. I meant distilled water not diluted.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3881813 - 03/07/05 07:57 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Coir isnt the cause for your trich. It doesnt contain enough nutrients to make a difference. Its such a small minisculte amount, its only technically there..just barely.

The problem, besides the existense of mold spores is the pH. Everyone has the feeling coir doesnt need a buffer, but I disagree. I've used coir/verm (besides a few straight verm or straight coir trials, which all sucked BTW) with great successes from the begining. I also buffered with cal carbonate from the begining. When I stopped, after a few flushes, mushrooms would stop being produced from the casing, and would stop quicker. I would get contams quicker too. Mycelium secretes acidic wastes. Trich loves acidic. Straw is also acidic.

If you add some lime to the straw when you pasteurize it will help. So will mixing in some powdered oyster shells or calcium carbonate in your casing mix. Keeping the pH at 7-7.5 is optimal for cubies, but horrible for trich. When people use peat, they always buffer. Thats why you can have less green with the peat, not because it contains less nutes, just the higher pH. IMO anyway..

Oh yeah...and always mist with at least just distilled water...I always add a small amount of h202 though. 1:10 dilution when I first case it until myc pops up, then 1:20 ish dilution is used.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineazurescens
Re: Safer casing mix [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3882689 - 03/07/05 01:26 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

How much buffer do you use Scat for your 50/50?

Invisiblewynzlo
Stranger

#3882815 - 03/07/05 02:04 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Yea I'd like to know too...thanks for the tips scatman, that was exactly the info I was looking for. I just picked up some straw and I'm about to head to the plant shop. Think that's the best place to find lime, oyster shells or calcium carbonate?

azurescens: I'll have to give techno a try. I bet myc would get down to some dave clarke :wink:

btw, I made up some rye casings for the first time a month or so ago and they've done well. For some reason I don't like the whole martha setup and would rather just do a few tubs. Here's tonight's activity...

--------------------

Edited by wynzlo (03/07/05 02:19 PM)

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3886337 - 03/08/05 07:06 AM (19 years, 25 days ago)

Quote:

azurescens said:
How much buffer do you use Scat for your 50/50?

Not 50/50, I use about 60%coir 40%verm (measured dry). For i small brick of coir that expands to 7-9 liters I put in this much:

About 5 or 6 times. Somewhere around 5% of the coir I guess. I just eye ball it and cump it in and mix around like you see.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,035 topic views. 9 members, 86 guests and 103 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 14 queries.