Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestimpson
a superhero buddha
 User Gallery

Loc: ny
lighting question...
    #3881042 - 03/07/05 02:55 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

ok, the FoaF has 6 innoc'd jars on the way...

pf tek
6 1/2 pint jars
BRF and VERM

all jars are from 50% to about 80% colonized. i will put up pics when i can get batteries for my camera. i'm so excited!

soon, i will be birthing the babes, and i will be doing the fruiting chamber thing.

i was planning on dunking the cakes in sterile water for 12 hours, and then sticking them in my fruiting chamber (PMP - trashcan, clear plastic wrap, perlite with H20/H2O2... misting and fanning once a day).

my question is: for light, do you think 4 hours of set of christmas lights will be enough light to trigger pinning? i have to keep my chamber in the closet, out of sight... i have a circuit timer, and a string of christmas lights rigged up, laying atop the trachcan in the closet there - all set and waiting to be used already - but i want to make sure the christmas lights will be enough.

thanks!

--------------------
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm... ... ...

ok.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesludge
blunt rapter

Loc: somewhere in usa
Re: lighting question... [Re: stimpson]
    #3881625 - 03/07/05 07:18 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

no way you can get a little natural light i just let my light cycle do its thing i think were getting about 12 hours right now

--------------------
Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved
See my heart I decorate it like a grave
You don't understand who they
Thought I was supposed to be
Look at me now a man
Who won't let himself be

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: lighting question... [Re: stimpson]
    #3881736 - 03/07/05 08:53 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, you're going to want to fan more than once a day and the ambient light in your room is plenty enough to initiate pinning.

Offlinethenewguy05
The Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Loc: My Underground Layer
Re: lighting question... [Re: NewfoundFreedom]
    #3881759 - 03/07/05 09:14 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

i think one of the most misunderstood things about light is you can't just have any light. uv rays are what matter. incondecent lights, christmas tree lights, and heat lamps are not effecive. personally i use a blue spectra floresent bulb for directional purposes'. when i first started i had no light after it started pinning which was fine but the mushies start to knot up and grow in funny directions.

Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

x [Re: thenewguy05]
    #3881766 - 03/07/05 09:20 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

you just want to be sure to reduce the light exposure after you have initiated pinning
let's say that you are at 12 on 12 off.
when you have an adequate pinset, reduce them to 4hours on, 20 off.
after you harvest, return your cakes to the natural, or your imposed light cycle.

--------------------

Offlinestimpson
a superhero buddha
 User Gallery

Loc: ny
    #3885218 - 03/08/05 01:06 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

thanks guys for the input...

i'm afraid FoaF is doing a covert grow, so natural light will be hard, but i will try when i CAN.

as for fanning, i will try more than once daily... i will try to do it as often as possible - but most of the work is only able to be done at night - after bedtime. plus, FoaF is taking quite a large courseload at school, so classes keep him busy from about 9am til about 8pm everyday.

well, what can be done will be done! if these cakes fruit... shit, even 2 to 3 doses all together i would be happy - FoaF being a first timer.

peace guys

--------------------
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm... ... ...

ok.

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

Re: lighting question... [Re: thenewguy05]
    #3885643 - 03/08/05 03:04 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

thenewguy05 said:
i think one of the most misunderstood things about light is you can't just have any light. uv rays are what matter. incondecent lights, christmas tree lights, and heat lamps are not effecive. personally i use a blue spectra floresent bulb for directional purposes'. when i first started i had no light after it started pinning which was fine but the mushies start to knot up and grow in funny directions.

I thought UV radiation was off the visible spectrum... Depending on the type of UV ray (UVA/UVB/UVC) the wavelengths range from 100-400nm, while blue light is somewhere around 450nm. Does your bulb produce UVB rays like a tanning bed or is it simply a full-spectrum fluorescent? I believe UVA rays (320-400nm) are found just below the violet visible spectrum, as violet wavelengths are around 400-425nm...but certainly not in blue. I have seen many normal looking mushrooms grown with incandescent light, which does contain some blue light (though not much). I always thought it was the blue light that was best for mushies, which contains no uv rays.

If anyone can find information to support/refute this id be interested...Do full spectrum fluorescents give off any UV rays even though they arent part of the fluorescent spectrum?

*Edit* "blue specta floresent" is a misnomer beyond the grammatical errors...fluorescent light contains a full rainbow (continuous spectrum) of visible light. In a full-spectrum fluorescent, there is more blue light than a normal fluorescent.

--------------------

Edited by LengthyFellow (03/08/05 03:23 AM)

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

Re: lighting question... [Re: LengthyFellow]
    #3885646 - 03/08/05 03:07 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

On second thought wouldn't UV RADIATION be more likely to cause mutation than incandescent lights? Correct me if im wrong but that just seems to make more sense to me.

--------------------

InvisibleNewfoundFreedom
Manure whore

Re: lighting question... [Re: thenewguy05]
    #3886595 - 03/08/05 11:38 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

thenewguy05 said:

This is not a problem if you use the the ambient light coming through a window. This is what I was referring to before. Nothing beats natural sunlight. It's free and no hassle.

OfflineLengthyFellow
I play with poo

#3889049 - 03/08/05 08:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

newguy what is the brand name and specs on your light

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation