Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Resonant frequencies [Re: automan]
    #3867180 - 03/04/05 09:58 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

4hz is out of the range for the human ear to detect.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepsilocyben
bad guy

Re: Resonant frequencies [Re: daussaulit]
    #3874890 - 03/05/05 09:13 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

someone told me about a bridge in california that has an armed guard ready to shoot any dogs seen walking on the bridge.
a dog's trot happens to fall within range of this bridge's resonant frequency.
i can't vouch for the credibility of the info.
it sounds unreasonable that they couldn't get a few engineers in there to alleviate the problem.
just thought it was kind of funny

--------------------

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Resonant frequencies [Re: psilocyben]
    #3875386 - 03/05/05 11:40 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

that sounds like bunk to me (yorkshire terrier trot = much different from saint bernard trot). but pretty funny and cool.

Offlinechupucabras
Stranger
Loc: South Wales
    #3877333 - 03/06/05 01:26 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

daussaulit said:
4hz is out of the range for the human ear to detect.

Good point. It would be possible to use beat frequencies to 'entrain' your brainwaves to that frequency (with the Brainwave Generator software, I'm sure it's been discussed here before). But that only works with headphones, so I doubt you'd be able to get 160dB worth of 4Hz that way. Not that you'd really want to make yourself shit involuntarily...

Dan

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Resonant frequencies [Re: psilocyben]
    #3877673 - 03/06/05 02:28 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

when soldiers march on bridges they break step to prevent the march's resonant frequency from collapsing the bridge. It may be out of tradition, but I highly doubt that. I know there is this old bridge that was built in a valley. The wind blowing over the bridge was vibrating as the same resonant frequency. There are old B&W videos of it it swaying horribly and then collapsing.

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3881001 - 03/07/05 12:39 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

A march doesn't have a resonant frequency, man. Just because a phrase sounds cool doesn't mean you should use it whatever chance you get : ) I think you just meant the frequency of the steps in the march. I think breaking step would just a good habit to be in because some floating bridges or long flimsy rope bridges in the jungle might be susceptible. I seriously doubt a column of marchers would bring down the golden gate bridge, for example.

As for that other bridge, the wind wasn't "vibrating" either. What was happening is basically the same thing as a violin bow rubbing a string. The wind, like the bow, moves steadily across the bridge. At some points it "sticks" and begins to push the bridge until the weight of the bridge and the torque from the twisting becomes to strong for the wind and it starts to move back the other way, or "slip". This time it has a bit of energy stored from the wind and it swings a little farther in the other direction. It oscillates back and forth, each time getting a little boost from the wind. It will automatically vibrate at its resonant frequency, just like the string on a violin will. And it only depends on the speed of the wind and not the way it's "vibrating" just like a violin bow doesn't need to be vibrating, just pushed hard enough. This isn't a case of unknown resonant frequencies getting out of control but rather crappy engineering on the part of the bridge designers -- they just didn't account for that high winds.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #3881586 - 03/07/05 04:51 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

> to prevent the march's resonant frequency

:grin:

> The wind blowing over the bridge was vibrating as the same resonant frequency.

bigger :grin:

Parasitic oscillation is not the same as resonant frequency.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: Resonant frequencies [Re: Seuss]
    #3882269 - 03/07/05 11:31 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

The human hearing range is between 20 hz and 20,000 hz but even the average human being cannot reconize high pitched tones above 17k. (This is where good keen ears for audio engineering and mastering comes in). Im sure there are other glands and such in our brain that would be cool to find the resonant frequencies of and play with. Imagine, people gettin addicted to frequencies. I have always wanted to find notes and frequencies that could stiumlate happiness directly and could just steadlily pump them out to the crowd during a show. The Brown note is very real, there is also one that can liquidate your insides. the gov't is supposingly experiementing with these frequencies for weapons but from what I heard, they are very hard to direct. There has been some success and adcnaves in a frequency that is used for RiotCOntrol. It shoots a note down into a general area of people and makes them nautious.
I have a cool story of how elephant's use subsonic frequencies to comminicate but doubt anyone wants to hear it.

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Resonant frequencies [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3882803 - 03/07/05 02:01 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Tell us about the elephants :smile:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale