Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejuspassinthru
For A Cup of Joe
 User Gallery
HEPA flow hood/grow box Cheap!! This aint ebay @LOOK@
    #3877393 - 03/06/05 01:35 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

I have a friend whoo is new to all of this and has been using my pc to come here and do research for this newfound hobbie/lifestyle of his. :cool: As for working in a sterile enviroment it is just not something that he does. But he does fabrication and installation of equipment such as HEPA filters for large medical facilities from time to time. Enough about friend...
If you have ever looked at a HEPA filter you know from looking through it that it basically is an air "scrubber" and most of the larger particles are normally trapped in a pre filter at least that is how it is used in the commercial sense. the amount of air "pushed" through these filters while in a HVAC or duct system is far beyond what the normal glovebox or flowhood use would be. So why not use a filter that when used for a very small amounts of air with a much lower volume and static pressure will have a much higher filtration level?! Make sense?! For the average guy alls you need is a slight breeze of highly filtered air in a somewhat enclosed enviroment. Again my friend is new to all this and is well aware that there are a lot of people out there doing this(the shroom thing) so if someone has tried this I would love to tell him the results. Okay enough babbling :smirk: 
here we go the true 20$ flow hood/fruiting chamber I think!?
all easily obtainable from wal mart or k mart or similar store

1-clear plastic box rubbermaid or similar w/cover $5.00
1-tube of silicone( 100% not latex type) $3.00
1-personal fan very small is great $7.00
1-HEPA filter substitute (automotive air filter the flat finned type not the round one but I don't see why the round one would not work)
$5.00
an old cardboard box and some tape c'mon who dont got tape or an ol box lyin around.
The box size is up to you but he chose one about 20"X12" 20" deep.
after selecting the box (preferably one on sale and "clear") take it to the automotive section an look for a filter that fits on the bottom. If you wanna make a glove box you could put it on the lid... it's up to you (he put his on the bottom of the box(explained later).at a parts store they most likely will not let you look through all the filters but at the mart store all boxes are on the shelves for you to check out without anyone buggin you. Silicone buy the one in the squeeze tube unless you own a caulking gun for that size tube. choose a fan that is not larger than the box.. remember you wanna make a slight draft not blow your prints or whatever out of the box. okay We gettin anxious yet  :smile: :frown: . Damn I gotta go. I will be back a little later to complete this baby and maybe figure out how to post a pic.
just so that you don't get let down this is a very crude box with function before form. bbs :wink:

--------------------
All above posts are purely fictional and for amusement purposes only... Have A Nice Day! :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFINITE1
Stranger in aStrange Land
Re: HEPA flow hood/grow box Cheap!! This aint ebay @LOOK@ [Re: juspassinthru]
    #3877408 - 03/06/05 01:39 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Bahhh! Was gettin all excited!

--------------------
I was there at the last concert in Chicago, Soldier Field actually. It was my first concert experience and the best time I have ever had. Little did I know it would be the last time I would see them play.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #3877724 - 03/06/05 02:37 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Sounds like a good idea, but I don't think a car air cleaner is going to filter out all the things I'm worried about. Bacteria are very,very, microscopic.I believe a HEPA filter filters out about 99.8% of all air borne contaminates. Below is a pic of the glove box I constructed. A little pricey, about $80, but after innoculating 80 BRF's and none lost to contaminates, I'ld say well worth it. Good Luck, I'll keep an ear out to see how your box comes out. Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony. HippieChick.

Edited by HippieChick (03/06/05 02:38 PM)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: HEPA flow hood/grow box Cheap!! This aint ebay @LOOK@ [Re: HippieChick]
    #3877755 - 03/06/05 02:42 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

99.997 is a true hepa filter.

nice glove box CHIC !~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineTomatadunothing
Stranger

Re: HEPA flow hood/grow box Cheap!! This aint ebay @LOOK@ [Re: Roadkill]
    #3878270 - 03/06/05 03:54 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Damn that glove box is almost identical to mine, but it's gonna get the boot soon enough for a laminar flow hood. Glove boxes are terribly uncomfortable to work with in my expierence, and the houses I end up working in have been the absolute opposite of a sanitary work environments. I still often have contam. problems (any contam. jars are a problem) with as many precautions as I take in these houses(crazy eccentric cleaning process invloving lots of bleach, clean laundry, a tyvek painter's cover all, some sort of clean mask, and a bunch more anal retentive preventitive measures), and I feel a laminar flow hood should help in these toxic mold infested environments.

I know, I know, I shouldn't be breathing in the air in a place like that with such a high spore count in the air, let alone trying to grow mushrooms in it. It's kind of like trying to dig a diamond out of a big pile of shit without getting any shit on your brand new white gloves.

I've seen so much black pin mold in theses places, I swear that shit's like my second cousin or something.

OfflineHerbin_Legend
Stranger
Re: HEPA flow hood/grow box Cheap!! This aint ebay @LOOK@ [Re: Tomatadunothing]
    #3878767 - 03/06/05 05:20 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Hey, I'm a big dude with big hands. Where can I find glovebox gloves that will not tear off as I try to put my big meat paws into them?

--------------------
"nothing is fool proof for fools are ingenious and will find a way" - Prisoner #1

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: HEPA flow hood/grow box Cheap!! This aint ebay @LOOK@ [Re: Herbin_Legend]
    #3878990 - 03/06/05 06:16 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Home Depot.Small,medium,large and extra large.Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony. Hippie Chick.

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinejuspassinthru
For A Cup of Joe
 User Gallery
Re: HEPA flow hood/grow box Cheap!! This aint ebay @LOOK@ [Re: HippieChick]
    #3879290 - 03/06/05 07:05 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Nice box Hippiechick
Thats what the original intention was but after thinkin about it a flow hood seemed a little more practical... that and the "ego" thing about breaking new ground. :smile: remember that he is working on a S.W.A.G. here swag= Scientific Wild Ass Guess. :smile: Again the theory here is that if you push air through a filter "designed" for high pressure/high flow and use low pressure and low flow that the filter will filter at a much smaller micron rating. "in theory" He has all the stuff to make the glovebox fittings..gloves ... "dustmask" ..etc
but thought that instead of pushing maybe 5 to 10 cfm through a 6"X6" surface that he would push that much air through a surface area of approx. 5 feetX 10 inches(if you open up one of these ar filters thats an approx. measurement of just how big that filter media is) and a much more dense media(if you were to fluf up the paper in an air filter it would be very similar to a dust mask). again we get back to there are no specs for this filter media at these low pressure/velocity or air speed ratings. Please don't take this the wrong way I am just sharing his mindset so you know where he is coming from. bbs gonna check on the pic deal and how to upload.

--------------------
All above posts are purely fictional and for amusement purposes only... Have A Nice Day! :wink:

Offlinejuspassinthru
For A Cup of Joe
 User Gallery
    #3879307 - 03/06/05 07:10 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

hey herbin
I know what you mean another reason for the flow hood. you can buy gloves made for those paws like you and he and me got but they will probably cost more than this whole box and then some. he got the x large platex type and I think I would knock over the box or the contents each time I put on or took off the gloves. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
    #3879517 - 03/06/05 07:56 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

i'm not even sure where to get these now, but what about those big yellow like dish washing gloves? and if all else fails just use a small trash bag liner, that will probly get the job done, maybe not as easily though.

Offlinejuspassinthru
For A Cup of Joe
 User Gallery
    #3879620 - 03/06/05 08:14 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

How do you post pics??
Back to the box...  Okay now that you have all your materials don't get a ticket speedin home.. carefully unpack and check off items to make sure kit is complete..:) Just thought I'd add that in... first I am sure you figured where you wanna mount that filter i.e. top back or cover. If you did the open the box thing at the store you know that it fits. Now place it exactly where you want it and mark it out with a pen( a sharpie or something) should have included that on the list. :smile: carefully so as not to get cut, cut out the hole at least 2 inches smaller than the filter size. some boxes may crack when cutting because you are trying to force that little puncture you made to starrt the hole and just ramming the cutting tool in the little slit almost always will cause cracks. This way when you do your final trimming you can cut out the cracks leaving the hole an inch or so smaller than the filter. I used one of those serrated cuts through a can kinda knife... again not on the list... Place the filter over the hole just where you want it making sure it can be left alone without falling off use the silicone to attatch it to the box don't be ashamed to use a lot, you want to fill in the gap between the filter and the box. Any extra buildup will help keep the filter secure let dry.. read directions on package to see how lon before dry. if you have trouble keeping the filter in place tape it to the box and then use the silicone... now I know I mentioned tape. Okay leave the box alone and start on the fan deal... get out the cardboard.. if you didn,t have any at home I am sure that the good ol' boys at the mart store would be glad to give you one. you need to make a box that fits around the filter media but not over the gasket seald on all corners of the box the box must be a t least 4 inches deeper that the size of the fan.. so that when you cut a hole in it for the fan you can seal the fan to the box. myfriend has not attatched his fan box to his filter box just so that when its not in use it is smaller when seperated. buy a small weak fan and do not worry that it is blowing too much air when you attatch it to the filter it will greatly reduce the amount of air flow which is why my friend also believes that it is filtering much more contams at these low air pressures. I wish I could post the pics he took you know in this case they ARE worth a thousand words
Peace :wink:

--------------------

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #3879645 - 03/06/05 08:20 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

When I made my glove box I tried a hepa filter for a vacuum cleaner.

It did not work! Everything contaminated!

I changed to a 20$ hepa filter from walmart (1 micron @ 99% ) hooked to the box with ducting. It did not work! I still got lots of contamination!

I just gave up. I use it as a still air glove box and it works great!

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: HEPA flow hood/grow box Cheap!! This aint ebay @LOOK@ [Re: Cyber]
    #3879946 - 03/06/05 09:08 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

A SHITTY flowhood with LESS then 99.97% (some say even thats to little) will be WAY worse then lysoling a rubbermaid with 2 holes cut in the side and gloves. Sorry :frown:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract