Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCray
I'm not fat i'mbig bones
 User Gallery

After my cakes are colonized.... casing, cakes, dunk, roll.. HELP!
    #3878781 - 03/06/05 07:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

First off I'd just like to say that this is my very first time growing. Right now I have 8 jars incubating 1/2 pint BRF, verm. @ 80-85F. I'm sure they're all going to work, but anyways.

After my cakes are fully colonized, I'm thinking about doing 2 casing (w/ 2 cakes per casing). Thing is i'm doing a lot of reading about casings, and casing don't need much humitity and cakes do. So when I put it in my incubator with my cakes w/ perlite. Is it ok to have my humitity at 90%-100% w/ casings?? Will this hurt my casings? Thing is I have to have it in my incubator! And I really want to have casing for bigger "yeilds" (I think another word for flushes).

If all turning out well, can I dunk my cakes (don't want to dunk, but for best results you should) and use the cakes that I dunked for the casings? When dunking your cakes do you have to have to do it all seperate or can you put a couple of cakes in 1 container, also I noticed that cakes float. What do you use to keep the cakes down under  water?

And for the cakes that arn't going to be cased. I was doing some reading on rolling your cakes. And I had a pervious post, and someone said to just sprikle some wet verm. on the cakes and fill the lid  around the cake with verm. Should the verm. be serilized? Or can I just put it on stright from the bag? I think serilized would make more since. And can I sprikle it or should I roll?

Thanks for the help!!
Happy Trippin!  :mushroom2:
Cray
:peace:

--------------------
My Shroomery Gallery

Don't get ripped off ONLY BUY FROM SHROOMERY SPONSORS

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCray
I'm not fat i'mbig bones
 User Gallery

Re: After my cakes are colonized.... casing, cakes, dunk, roll.. HELP! [Re: Cray]
    #3879123 - 03/06/05 08:40 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

guessing no is going to help?

--------------------
My Shroomery Gallery

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Airfox

Loc: Texas
Re: After my cakes are colonized.... casing, cakes, dunk, roll.. HELP! [Re: Cray]
    #3879202 - 03/06/05 08:50 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I've never cased since that many shrooms would not be useful to me.

You can dunk all your cakes at the same time. You should put dry vermiculite on that has been in the oven at 450 for 30 minutes and cooled. Skrinkle or roll, it's up to you.

Try searching for Dunk Tek, that may give you a bit more info. Good luck.

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #3879225 - 03/06/05 08:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

No you can't have your casings in that high a humidity, will cause overlay. Your cakes need 95-100% humidity, your casings only need about 82%, sorry but thats just the way it is. If you can't meet these requirements, don't case until you can, just do your cakes, gain your experience, and move on to your casings when you are ready, but it would be a disaster to put your casings in 100% humidity. Good luck. Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony. Hippie Chick.

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
Re: After my cakes are colonized.... casing, cakes, dunk, roll.. HELP! [Re: HippieChick]
    #3879361 - 03/06/05 09:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

www.google.com

go help yourself.

--------------------
"Most people don't know how they're gonna feel from one moment to the next. But a dope fiend has a pretty good idea. All you gotta do is look at the labels on the bottles." ~drugstore cowboy~

OfflineCray
I'm not fat i'mbig bones
 User Gallery

Re: After my cakes are colonized.... casing, cakes, dunk, roll.. HELP! [Re: fallingaway24]
    #3881535 - 03/07/05 06:14 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, thanks guys! No Thanks to you fallingaway. Look like I'll have to do  some more planning to see what I can do. Thank you!!

Cray
:peace:

--------------------
My Shroomery Gallery

OfflineCray
I'm not fat i'mbig bones
 User Gallery

#3882110 - 03/07/05 12:23 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Well maybe I can just do casing, How risk is really involved in casing? Cuz I'd really like bigger flushes :-)

--------------------
My Shroomery Gallery

OfflineBoffsun
Rev.

Re: After my cakes are colonized.... casing, cakes, dunk, roll.. HELP! [Re: HippieChick]
    #3887208 - 03/08/05 02:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

In fact you can have your casings in high humidity... just skip the incubation time, as in birth them into your high humidity chamber immedately after making them. I just did some casings like this (consistent 98-99% humidity) and had very very good results, see for yourself: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/3883020#Post3883020

and screw the cakes... go half cakes, it's a nice inbetween. Read up on half cakes... they have been reported quite consistently as doubling yield from a single cake (i wouldn't know as i've only done halfs, nothing to compare to).... and all you do is slice it in half! here's what i did: put some tin foil down. put some (microwave sterilized, always) verm on the tin foil. get it wet. slice your cake in half, take one half and roll it in verm. put it on top of tinfoil/verm bed. Repeat.

In fact my half cake yields were quite close to my casings... 6 half cakes gave me around 240wetgrams and 3 full cakes cased about 270.

Good luck man and be sure to post pics!

Boffsun

OfflineRaspo
Poopsmith
 User Gallery
Re: After my cakes are colonized.... casing, cakes, dunk, roll.. HELP! [Re: Boffsun]
    #3887488 - 03/08/05 03:38 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Boff, you mean that your casings AND your cakes were together in the 98-99% humidity?? Should the half cakes be COMPLETELY covered in vermiculite??

OfflineBoffsun
Rev.

Re: After my cakes are colonized.... casing, cakes, dunk, roll.. HELP! [Re: Raspo]
    #3887919 - 03/08/05 05:13 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

yes and yes - all in 1 chamber. 1 PMP.

more verm the better

Boffsun

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: After my cakes are colonized.... casing, cakes, dunk, roll.. HELP! [Re: Boffsun]
    #3887964 - 03/08/05 05:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Man to be honest with ya, cakes spit out some good yields with a double end casing tek. If you want to go with a casing, crumble them up about 2 inches of depth and simply case them with about and 1/8 to 1/4 inch of moistened vermiculite. But your humidity needs to be a little lower for a casing, around 70-80%. Cakes around 90-100%

OfflineBoffsun
Rev.

Re: After my cakes are colonized.... casing, cakes, dunk, roll.. HELP! [Re: Hotnuts]
    #3887994 - 03/08/05 05:31 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not doubting your method, but i am saying that casings, if birthed directly, DO WORK in HIGH humidity, as in 99%. Like i said before, all 4 of my casings in my high humidity chamber had a very even pinset and were packed with shrooms, and i got the pics to prove it. Two different strains too.  :tongue:
:wink:

Boffsun

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3888269 - 03/08/05 06:24 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

While casings are more optimal at 85% (transpiration is better, shrooms get bigger and thicker..not more really but...) they will fruit just fine in 99-100% humidity. You can get excellent results doing so as well. Also humidity should be higher on casings while there are no mushrooms growing..only drop humidity once the mushrooms pop up.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineMighty Bop
Big Boy

Loc: Nowhere
Re: After my cakes are colonized.... casing, cakes, dunk, roll.. HELP! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #4127313 - 05/03/05 12:35 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I like your tek Boff :smile: I want to try this myself.

--------------------
"One attaineth whatever state of being one thinketh about at the last when relinquishing the body, being ever absorbed in the thought thereof." - Sri Krishna to Arjuna, Bhagavad Gita, viii, 6

OfflineCray
I'm not fat i'mbig bones
 User Gallery

Re: After my cakes are colonized.... casing, cakes, dunk, roll.. HELP! [Re: Mighty Bop]
    #4127315 - 05/03/05 12:37 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Dude, this post is so old, back when I was a complete nooby.. omg...

--------------------
My Shroomery Gallery

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation