Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
obscurity
    #3874397 - 03/05/05 09:33 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Throughout my journey of discovery in politics, I have adjusted my political beliefs to support the ideas which I consider to be most fair and beneficial for society. In doing so, I have place myself in the obscure fringe of politics. Libertarianism, Georgism, and other ideas which I advocate will never be accepted by the general public, no matter how much good they might do. So what can I do? What should I do? Should I stick to principle and continue voting for candidates who will never win, promoting an ideal society that will never happen, and hope everyone else wakes up? Or should I sell out, vote for lesser the of two evils, keep my ideals to myself, and adopt mainstream positions on the issues? Is there hope for a better world, or is this as good as it gets?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: obscurity [Re: Silversoul]
    #3874408 - 03/05/05 09:36 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

:lol:

Don't sell out, who cares if it's obscure... Remember, the lesser of two evils; is still evil.

No need to fit into a cookie cutter denomination either... that, and the molding is a mold for those that either:

A) fully support the ideals that are presented by a policital faction.
B) can't think for themselves
C) A variation of "B".

Or you can go out their and compromise your ideals, become disillusioned, dissatisfied, and eventually settle for something that could be better. ~Office Space.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3874501 - 03/05/05 09:54 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I have placed myself in the obscure fringe of politics.

Welcome brother!

ideas which I advocate will never be accepted by the general public, no matter how much good they might do.

This is probably true.

Have you adopted my cynicism and pessimism?

So what can I do? What should I do?

Withdraw somewhat. I think I wrote a reply to you that detailed that.

Should I stick to principle and continue voting for candidates who will never win...

Or should I sell out, vote for lesser the of two evils, keep my ideals to myself, and adopt mainstream positions on the issues? Is there hope for a better world, or is this as good as it gets?

When it comes to voting, either vote for your preferred candidate or the appropriate major party candidate that will ensure that Congress and the Presidency are run by different parties. This will create gridlock and the growth of the government will be slower than if both the legislative and executive branches were controlled by one party.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: obscurity [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3886325 - 03/08/05 08:56 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

When it comes to voting, either vote for your preferred candidate or the appropriate major party candidate that will ensure that Congress and the Presidency are run by different parties. This will create gridlock and the growth of the government will be slower than if both the legislative and executive branches were controlled by one party.

Gridlock is certainly better than having a one-party monopoly in many ways. But on the other hand, it basically means they just have to compromise and meet halfway on the Democrats' big government fiscal policies and the Republicans' big government social policies, so we end up getting both, just in smaller doses. It also means that if the Democrats want to relax drug laws or Republicans want to pass tax reform, both are less likely to happen.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3888933 - 03/08/05 08:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I truly believe that the best thing would be for the ideologicly bankrupt Democrats to fade away and the Republicans to schism between fundamentalists and libertarians. The libertarians will prevail overwhelmingly if there is no alternative whack factor in the form of a Democrat party. The Dems are doing a pretty good job of marginalizing themselves so any little kick helps to speed the happy schism. The schism will absolutely not come as long as there is a gang of entitlists with even a threat (not chance) of assuming power. Libertarians will never arise from the Democratic party. Libertarians share far more with Republicans than with Democrats.

--------------------

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
Re: obscurity [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3889251 - 03/08/05 09:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I doubt the libertarian party will arise from either party.

Even if it does rise, it will recruit heavily from both republicans and democrats. There are plenty of people here who have converted from democrat to libertarian.

A party that opposes our current aggresive foreign poilcy, supports a definite separation between church and state, is cool with gay marriage, wants to legalize all drugs and has a background on civil liberties akin to the ACLU is attractive to many strayed liberals.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: obscurity [Re: Gijith]
    #3889391 - 03/08/05 09:44 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

This libertarian has absolutely no problem with our foreign policy. Our foreign policy is not inconsistent with libertarianism. The libertarians are already in the Republican party. The Democrats, on the other hand, have to be converted to Libertarianism. It's already a bigger part of the Republican party than you think. When the Dems are dead we will feel more comfortable smashing the social conservatives.

--------------------

InvisibleGijith
Daisy Chain Eater

Loc: New York
    #3889403 - 03/08/05 09:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Cool with me.
Have at it.

edit: I feel bad being off topic. Paradigm, keep voting obscure. This country won't change unless you help it.

--------------------
what's with neocons and the word 'ilk'?

Edited by Gijith (03/08/05 09:47 PM)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #3893232 - 03/09/05 05:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

have you considered stfu?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: obscurity [Re: afoaf]
    #3893246 - 03/09/05 05:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

No. Have you considered not being a fatass?

--------------------

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: obscurity [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3893273 - 03/09/05 05:33 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:

So what can I do? What should I do?

Withdraw somewhat. I think I wrote a reply to you that detailed that.

Hell no Paradigm, don't withdraw, don't give up, keep on fighting man! get in there and fight for what you believe is right. You have to show the way to others, don't wait for the others to tell you what to do, don't give them that chance. Let your voice be heard...and most of all, keep hope.

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #3910256 - 03/13/05 03:24 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
I truly believe that the best thing would be for the ideologicly bankrupt Democrats to fade away and the Republicans to schism between fundamentalists and libertarians. The libertarians will prevail overwhelmingly if there is no alternative whack factor in the form of a Democrat party. The Dems are doing a pretty good job of marginalizing themselves so any little kick helps to speed the happy schism. The schism will absolutely not come as long as there is a gang of entitlists with even a threat (not chance) of assuming power. Libertarians will never arise from the Democratic party. Libertarians share far more with Republicans than with Democrats.

If only that could happen I would cum in my pants.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: obscurity [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3910794 - 03/13/05 11:09 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I hope you do your own laundry.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfan
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3911469 - 03/13/05 02:57 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

You should sell out!

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: Johnny Price- Marijuana, The Devil Flower

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion