Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Debate
    #3873836 - 03/05/05 05:27 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

I think this thread has probably been done before, but I'm curious what you guys get out of debate(those of you who don't get upset about people questioning your ideas). It almost comes naturally to me because of my upbringin. My dad's a lawyer, my grandfather's a theologian, and my uncle's a writer, and whenever we have family get-togethers, there's always lots of discussion about politics, philosophy, religion, etc. My grandfather is especially great at debate. In some debates, he'll use your own premises to prove you wrong. I've never really been into sports. Debate has always been my sport. Whenever I deliver a solid argument nullifying the other person's point, it's like scoring a goal. Of course, that satisfaction increases with the skill and intelligence of my opponent. Occasionally I lose debates, but those are the ones I learn the most from. Sometimes I get caught in a debate where people keep making the same bad points over and over again, and I usually try to get up the strength to walk away from them, but my ego sometimes gets in the way and insists that I have the last word. Is anyone else here like me? What do you get out of debate?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Debate [Re: Silversoul]
    #3873845 - 03/05/05 05:30 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

The ability to respect another's opinion.

More so, to see how truly knowledgable you are in a subject: If you can debate it... you know it (generally). All about seeing a different side of the same story though.  :thumbup:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
    #3873864 - 03/05/05 05:37 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

I agree, debating is a great sport! That is, as long as you're a good sport about it (i.e. no jabs below the belt, or bitting the other guys ear). I also believe that it is a sport where everyone 'wins', so long as both opponents are interested in the 'truth'. It's like that saying,

What matters is not who is right, but what is right.

I enjoy debate. It's one of those things where it's good to be passionate, but bad to be hatefull. Also, you can't take the opponent's punches personally. It's all part of the game.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #3874523 - 03/05/05 07:57 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
I've never really been into sports.  Debate has always been my sport.  Whenever I deliver a solid argument nullifying the other person's point, it's like scoring a goal.

It is a mental sport.

I get a kick out of taking someone elses information and trying to turn it against them.

LOADS of fun.

My wife says I should have been on the "Debate Team" in HS. (says I like to argue too much :shrug:)

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Re: Debate [Re: niteowl]
    #3874772 - 03/05/05 08:51 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

"He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored."
-Proverbs 13:18

it's a natural urge to try to be right, to try and get the last word, that is nothing but our ego's getting the best of us..

"someone smart, says nothing at all"
-a diffrent city, modest mouse

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Re: Debate [Re: JCoke]
    #3874923 - 03/05/05 09:18 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

I debate to learn and teach.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3874974 - 03/05/05 09:28 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

I love to debate but most people just get angry and offended if you have a different opinion so I have pretty much stopped debating and even discussing issues of importance with most people. It kinda sucks but everyone is just happier if you pretend to agree with them so i usually do just for the hell of it.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Debate [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3875102 - 03/05/05 10:07 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

It's possible to be motivated to debate by the desire to both learn and teach, but rare from what I've seen. Most people who enjoy debating just seem to want to WIN. They don't give a damn about the search for truth. As long as they come out smelling like a rose they got what they wanted.

--------------------
β€œThe crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Debate [Re: zorbman]
    #3875193 - 03/05/05 10:36 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Yeah, I like debating too. I'd prefer to just bounce ideas back and forth with someone, modifying them as we go, but every so often it turns into debate. It's fun until someone just says the same shit over and over. Then it gets frustrating and you have to just stop :frown:

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

#3875289 - 03/05/05 11:06 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

i don't like debating. i just like sharing ideas.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3875303 - 03/05/05 11:11 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Debate is the crucible of public opinion in which ideas are tested.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3875364 - 03/05/05 11:31 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

It almost comes naturally to me because of my upbringin.

so you're saying you're a master debater?

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Debate [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3875686 - 03/06/05 01:35 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Zekebomb said:

so you're saying you're a masturbater?

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #3880456 - 03/06/05 10:20 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Debate... REAL debate is one of the things that I live for. Not formal debate... just honest & open discussion with honest & open people. It's rare... but the dig is worth it.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Invisiblemoog
Stranger

Re: Debate [Re: Sclorch]
    #3880758 - 03/06/05 11:14 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

i like open and honest debate, like a chat over coffee type deal. what i don't like is the "debate" that goes on on the internet where people break posts down into nitpicking details. it's like two computers trying to win a logic contest.

one of my pet peeves are those posts where people take apart entire paragraphs and respond sentence by sentence. i mean, my god. if you are chatting up someone in real life i really hope you don't write down what they say and then provide a point-by-point rebuttal afterward. that would be really lame and annoying. i like my online conversations to be like real life conversations, where one person can voice their entire opinion for a couple minutes, and then someone else can respond to their entire point rather than each sentence spoken.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3880785 - 03/06/05 11:21 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

One must always remember that debating does NOT involve hurting others by getting personal. To strongly disagree with someone in an uncompromising fashion is fair...but calling names and using rudeness to drum people off of a thread is not debate. Several of you guys seem to forget that debate involves exchanging ideas. It is many sided...not one sided. I hardly ever agree with anyone...but I try to have some taste about it.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Debate [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3880790 - 03/06/05 11:23 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
One must always remember that debating does NOT involve hurting others by getting personal. To strongly disagree with someone in an uncompromising fashion is fair...but calling names and using rudeness to drum people off of a thread is not debate. Several of you guys seem to forget that debate involves exchanging ideas. It is many sided...not one sided. I hardly ever agree with anyone...but I try to have some taste about it.

:thumbup:

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (03/06/05 11:32 PM)

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #3880799 - 03/06/05 11:24 PM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:

Tolerance of fair debate should be a rule.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3880999 - 03/07/05 12:38 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:

When I call people stupid, it's because they're stupid, not because they disagree with me.

--------------------

Invisiblepupil
( ?)

Loc: in prism
    #3881048 - 03/07/05 12:57 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
When I call people stupid, it's because they're stupid, not because they disagree with me.

what if they disagree with you that they are stupid  :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order