Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDarkie
Bitches n hoes dont mean a thing
 User Gallery

Dry Rye Jars?
    #3856762 - 03/02/05 10:47 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ARRRRRRGGGG!!!
FOAF started today with a disappointed pirate's yell because today also marks the 5th day of zero growth in FOAF's jars (first time with rye). So FOAF popped one open to see what was up and the rye seemed dry. They were rubbery and would leave barely any water on the hands. Is this too dry? Would it be possible for me to shoot up a few CCs of sterile water to maybe give the spores which might still be alive a jump in the remaining jars.

FOAF's process: soaked for something like 24 hours, rinsed simmered for 30-40 minutes,rinsed, strained, spooned in, PC at like 12psi for an hour with tinfoil on top, cooled over night, shot up, stuck back in bin, put in closet with fan, check daily after the first few days, became very sad, went on shroomery.

Also, a few jars were made PF style with rye and verm and one seems to have something, but it might just be a contam (looks kinda good though). Also several liquid jars were made. The only growth in those is a white ball around this black floating spot, but i think that black spot was a piece of gill that got in the syringe that FOAF made.

Sorry about such a long rambling post. Thanks for the help.

FOAF's process: soaked for something like 24 hours, rinsed simmered for 30-40 minutes,rinsed, strained, spooned in, PC at like 12psi for an hour with tinfoil on top, cooled over night, shot up, stuck back in bin, put in closet with fan, check daily after the first few days, became very sad, went on shroomery.

--------------------
You gotta wake up to get faded but you gotta get up to get paided.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: Darkie]
    #3856775 - 03/02/05 10:49 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Nahh, organic barley w/ the hull seems dry too, but it should germ with minimal moisture.

It may take forever to colinize, but it should germ w/ wispy weak growth.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #3856948 - 03/02/05 11:24 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

>They were rubbery and would leave barely any water on the hands. Is this too dry?

No.
The surface of the grains should be dry or only slightly damp.

This is how it should look.

OfflineDarkie
 User Gallery

Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: Anno]
    #3857828 - 03/02/05 03:07 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Thanks for the pic, mine sorta look like that. I might just be a lil too impatient after seeing stellar results from individuals such as yourself anno. But i think 4 jars (2 of each set) will be sacraficed in an effort to get something, anything at all to show up.

Might the spores have been bad/dead? It wasnt from a sponsor but i have used them before with with success.

Making 27 jars of crap is not FOAF's idea of a good way to spend 16hours

--------------------

OfflineDarkie
 User Gallery

#3866174 - 03/04/05 01:52 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

OK, I suck. Not a single jar has done shit. I injected various ammounts of water into 6 jars a few days ago (2, 5, 10cc) and still nothing. I found i was able to inject about 25ccs before the rye got saturated, that doesnt seem right. I think they may have been too dry, any ideas why?

Also i have heard of some rye having fungacides on them. I bought "organic rye berries" from a health food store, 24h soaked and simmered, that would remove any fungacides if there were any right?

The only thing i think i grew was some contam from a homemade syringe. Or it might just be really weak mycelia (in a rye cake jar). Maybe the white balls floating around in this liquid jar could be put to some use? Ehn, looks like someone is going back to PF style with his tail between his legs. :sad:

--------------------

InvisibleFloydseamus
Fun Guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Long Island Flag
    #3866535 - 03/04/05 03:33 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I believe that if they said they were "organic" that would be against the law to put any chemical or additive at all on them.... If the grain was rubbery as you stated that should be more than enough moisture to grow mycelium... it really sounds to me that it is a spore problem....

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: Floydseamus]
    #3866756 - 03/04/05 06:53 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Nice grain pic anno. Very true, when it comes to rye grain, less moisture is definitely better.

While five days is hardly time for panic, a 24 hour soak, followed by half an hour of boiling probably left the grains too wet if anything. I use a five to ten minute boil after the 24 hour soak.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3866861 - 03/04/05 07:50 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I agree sounds like a spore problem my first three atempts to grow same thing happend to me no growth jars looked dry, but I was ordering spores from crappy sporebanks, there are plenty of good spore vendors out there try to order a syringe from one of them, I saw growth on my syringe I ordered after 36 hours try sporeworks or spores 101

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: djsage420]
    #3866879 - 03/04/05 08:05 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

no. i would disagree about the spore explanation. i have tried to get rye to colonize five times and five times it has failed, and my spores are from a very reputable sponsor of the shroomery. the only other factor, then, that could be contributing to my and darkie's rye problems is moisture content. i am almost positive it's a moisture content issue. it didn't matter how little or how much i simmered my rye, either--they always come out looking too dry or come out in a wet clumpy mass. and unfortunately, once it has been established that your spores are viable there is little anyone can do for you. try a different grain or go back to pf style. i'm gonna forego the advice of the elders and do pf style in the 1 quart jars i have. it may take forever to colonize but at least i'll be able to try this 'hobby' out.

note that darkie's liquid cultures show signs of growth, so his spores must not be completely bunk. mine too will colonize a honey jar, but not a rye jar. my advice would be to give rye one more try, this time inoculate some jars with the liquid culture you're incubating, however. hell, use a whole syringe for one jar. that might be enough added moisture to offset the impossibly difficult moisture content of rye. good luck!

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

InvisibleFloydseamus
Fun Guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Long Island Flag
Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: laughingbuddha]
    #3866886 - 03/04/05 08:08 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Very interesting, i would definitely like a definitive answer on this one... has me perplexed.... Good luck anyway you 2 go...

--------------------

OfflineDarkie
 User Gallery

Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: Floydseamus]
    #3872892 - 03/05/05 12:48 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

I know you've all be on the edge of your seats like i have so i thought i would finish this up and clarify a few things.

FOAF did this: made 24 quart rye jars, 12 pint rye cake jars, and 3 liquid jars (16 hours of work). The 24quarts were innocted with GT and Taz that i bought from...well, i bought. One liquid jar also recieved a few CCs of Taz. They all did NOTHING. I also had made (spur of the moment) a couple syringes my self from some B+ caps. That went into the cake jars and the other 2 liquid jars. They are doing just fine now (thank god).

So my new theory is the vendor i bought from dicked me over cause i emailed them after almost 4 weeks asking where my syringes were (in a nice way of course). They responded in a not too nice way that they'll get there when they get there (also implied it might be a lil while longer). They arrived only a few days later. So they probably either gave me some old/dead syringes or....ehn who knows. But then again, everyone is out to get me.

So i'm just going to take what i got and order some more from a better supplier.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3872898 - 03/05/05 12:51 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Was it a shroomery sponsor? If so, you can try the sponsors forum..all of the sponsors post here. If not, who was it..should let people know IMO..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineDarkie
 User Gallery

Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3872952 - 03/05/05 01:05 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Not a sponsor. It was Earth's Tongue. They offer 20cc syringes at pretty good prices. That is even where the B+ came from in the first place (months ago). Their syringes even looked pretty good.
Normally i would just assume i screwed something up. But the proof to me is the fact that the liquid jar i made with the Taz did nothing but the other 2 liquid jars i did with the B+ did fine.
I dont want to spread crap about them cause this is only 1 experience and my first was pretty good. I'm going to drop them an email just to see if i can maybe get an explanation, but i dont think i am going to buy from them again.

--------------------

Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3873033 - 03/05/05 01:32 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

to the guys who are having moisture content problems with rye.
1st. 5cc's is way to much solution to add to a 1 quart jar an entire syringe is going to drown the rye. I think this is your major setback.
I have had good luck with this even on my first grow (i use 1pint jars 500ml)
1)soak grain overnight 12 - 16 hours
2)give it a good rinse while you boil a big pot of water. Dump in your rinsed grain. Drop the temp of your stovetop --simmer for 30 to 45 min. If you dont know when its time to stop simmering in a seperate pot do the same as above but with a smaller amount. keep simmering when the kernals explode take note ofthe time and stop your true batch of kernals 5 min earlier.
3)drain the rye there should be lots of water left in your pot of rye kernals. rinse it real well. let it sit in your strainer for 15 min to drain all excess water. I cover mine with aluminum foil while its in the strainer.
4) Soak your jars in a 10% solution of bleach and hot water for 15 min. invert the jars and let drip dry on a clean towel. now spoon the rye into your jars and cap it.Don't pack it in, you want it nice and loose. Leave 1 inch of space for pint jars 2 inches for quarts. if you have holes in your metal lids cover the holes with electrical tape. If you don't have holes yet don't worry about it. You want to create a vacuum when the jar cools. add the lid and and put the ring on loosly.
5)pc your jars for 90min.at 15psi. Not 1 hour!! when your pc is cool enough to open take your jars out. tighten the lid rings and give those jars a shake 15 to 20 sec. each. do it vigerously your homogenizing the water content. These jars will last a long time as they are in a vacuum and have been preserved.
6)let your jars cool a minimum of 10 to 12 hours. Just becasue the outide is cool doesn't mean the inside is.
7)inoculation. get some cotton swabs and some rubbing alcohol a hammer and a finishing nail,a pair of pliers and some tinfoil. soak your pliers, finnishing nail and cotton swab in rubbing alcohol. pick the finishing nail up with the pliers, put your cotton swab on top of your metal lid and hammer the nail through the cotton swab and through the metal lid. the vaccuum in the jar will draw air into it thats the reason for the soaked cotton swab. pull the nail out and remove the cotton swab. use your syringe to inoculate. For a 1 pint jar add .5cc for a quart jar .75 to 1cc. that's it. no more than that. you'll end up with too much water in the jar. Cover loosly with tinfoil.
8)incubate at 82 to 84 F. in a dark place.
9)if yor new and not sure what growth is suppose to look like prepare a jar as above incuding the hole but don't inoculate it. if you get grwoth in this jar you have a contamination problem. if you get no growth in this jar but growth in your inoculated jars congrats. that's mycelium growing!!

Offline_Lucid_
journeyman
 User Gallery
Loc: no-mans land
Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #3873801 - 03/05/05 05:16 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Sounds like you guys might be shaking your jars after you inoculate. ya, they probably will still grow, it just takes a lot longer for germination to occur, and least in my experiences, you dont want to distribute the spores around too much, you want a few large groupings of them so they are a better chance of quick germination, so shoot them along the side of the jars letting it run down into the grain in like 4 different spots, once you have some desent healthy growth, then you shake to distribute the mycelium throughout the jar, but there is no point to shaking before you have growth. it would be like adding tons of water and light to a seed that hasnt sprouted yet, one, the light isnt going to do shit, and two the water will just increase chance of rot.

--------------------
The believer is happy, the doubter is wise
- Hungarian proverb

Invisiblefearfect
Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: _Lucid_]
    #3873847 - 03/05/05 05:32 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

what temperatures are you incubating at? I notice a huge difference with only a few degrees difference. If you can keep the temperature a constant 82-86 degrees F 24 hours a day, they should colonize really fast. Before I got the fish tank heater to stabilize the temperature, it would take weeks and weeks to fully colonize. Nightly drops in temperature are apparently very bad.

OfflineDarkie
 User Gallery

Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: fearfect]
    #3875423 - 03/05/05 11:56 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Been 9 days now and no signs of anything so i dont think there will be anything. The temp is about 77 which has been just fine for the jars innocted with the home made syringe.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #3875754 - 03/06/05 01:51 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

I would recommend you order some spores from a reputable vendor. It sounds like it's not a rye problem at all. Mods can delete this if it's against the rules to say, but ET has ripped off many people, so it's actually very likely you did get bunk spores. If your rye came labeled 'organic' it doesn't have any fungicides in it. If you used various amounts of solution, at least some of them should have worked. If there's no contamination in the grains, that says you sterilized ok. All arrows point to the syringes now.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMushroomFriend
I smell a conspiracy!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
    #3876395 - 03/06/05 07:41 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Dear Darkie

From what ive heard, earths tongue is a VERY bad supLIAR. Also very expensive.
I suggest buy from one of the sponsors, everyone says it, but its true. When they start messing up shropomery will kick them out and their reputation will fall dramaticly.
Buy there!!

My first rye attempt no growth at all either. I inocced some WBS with that syringe as well, no growth either. I bought that from a sponsor. I got 2 syringes to try again.
Now good growth. I think it really is your spores.

Rye is not harder then WBS, with good spores they will colonize very fine! :thumbup:

Good luck,
MF

--------------------

OfflineDarkie
 User Gallery

Re: Dry Rye Jars? [Re: MushroomFriend]
    #3881437 - 03/07/05 03:15 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Hehe, i'll purposely get a few jars REALLY contaminated then birth them into the box the syringes came in and mark "RETURN TO SENDER." That is what i do with all my credit card applications.

Oh, and i just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has taken anytime on this thread.

--------------------

Edited by Darkie (03/07/05 03:16 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules