Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
U.S. Readies Aggressive Counterintelligence Plan
    #3873442 - 03/05/05 05:32 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...telligence_dc_1

U.S. Readies Aggressive Counterintelligence Plan

Sat Mar 5,11:04 AM ET Top Stories - Reuters

By David Morgan

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (Reuters) - The Bush administration has adopted a new counterintelligence strategy that calls for pre-emptive action against foreign intelligence services viewed as threats to U.S. national security, officials said on Saturday.

The first national U.S. counterintelligence strategy, which President Bush (news - web sites) approved on March 1, aims to combat intelligence services from countries hungry for U.S. military and nuclear secrets, such as China and Iran (news - web sites), both at home and abroad, counterintelligence officials said.

Officials at a counterintelligence conference at Texas A&M University described the strategy as an extension of the post-Sept. 11 foreign policy initiative known as the Bush doctrine, which calls for pre-emptive action against nations and extremist groups perceived as threats to the United States.

"The United States has become the No. 1 target for the intelligence collection of other nations," said John Quattrocki, a senior U.S. counterintelligence official.

"What we'd like to do with the counterintelligence program is what we've done with counterterrorism, which is take the fight to other guy's back yard and exploit and interdict where we can, and at home, interdict where we must."

The strategy is due to be released to the public as an unclassified document in coming days.

Officials said the plan aims to protect U.S. intelligence and information systems from foreign agents including al Qaeda by integrating counterintelligence through a recently formed agency called the Office of the National Counterintelligence Executive.

Counterintelligence efforts are currently dispersed across the 15 agencies that make up the intelligence community.

"We have a great deal of bilateral cooperation between agencies. But we need strategically orchestrated operations directed against prioritized foreign intelligence threats," said National Counterintelligence Exacutive Michelle Van Cleave, who will oversee the plan.

REVITALIZE COUNTERINTELLIGENCE

Former intelligence officials described the strategy as an attempt to revitalize counterintelligence after years of neglect and demoralization following notorious espionage cases including CIA (news - web sites) agent Aldrich Ames and FBI (news - web sites) agent Robert Hanssen (news - web sites), who were both caught spying for the former Soviet Union.

"Today we are at war and the potential harm to this country from intelligence losses is far more immediate," said Van Cleave.

The strategy marks a departure from a long-standing counterintelligence practice of waiting for foreign-sponsored agents to act against intelligence and law enforcement agencies.

"Instead of being willing to take a punch and be damaged, we in fact take the skills of counterintelligence and ... impose damage on other intelligence services," explained Quattrocki, a top aide to Van Cleave.

He declined to identify countries seen as potential targets. But other officials cited China, Russia, Iran, North Korea (news - web sites), Cuba and Libya as nations that have tried to collect U.S. secrets through means including cyber espionage.

Van Cleave's office produced the new strategy with input from the CIA, the FBI, the Pentagon (news - web sites) and other agencies.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleroby000
me
 User Gallery

Loc: nazi poland
Re: U.S. Readies Aggressive Counterintelligence Plan [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3874314 - 03/05/05 09:17 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

dont worry abot it man counter intellegence isnt something violent or costly. it has many diffrent factions but none of which are as aggressive as you would think. what it really is is training to people with sensitve information on what threats to look for as in how to shred what to shred and what papers should have what stamp on them. it isnt anthing to worry about. now what you should worry about is writting to your congressman or joining a NORML faction near you to help with marijuana reform laws.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: U.S. Readies Aggressive Counterintelligence Plan [Re: roby000]
    #3874365 - 03/05/05 09:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

So counter-productive training then?

I'd think that they should have thought this up a loooong time ago.

Dunno, would think that if we were as good as we say we are...
And would have done this a long time ago...

Never mind. That would make too much sense.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (03/06/05 01:56 AM)

Invisibleroby000
me
 User Gallery

Re: U.S. Readies Aggressive Counterintelligence Plan [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3874742 - 03/05/05 10:43 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

well you have to understand that counterintellegence way back when wasnt something the average military grunt/postal service worker/busdriver/joe goverment would worry about the new programs are about telling these people what info they have that is sensitive and how not to talk about it. counterintellegence usually sparks they ideas and fantasys about spys and such but man that ballgame is entirely diffrent. that shits not on the news. by the way spys for other goverments arent trained over there. they are americans who sell info like the army sgt who was selling documents showing tank weaknesses in thier armor and situations simular. the new program shows us what to avoid talking about
nothing to worry about. counternarcotics is the thing to worry about and the usually obtrusive things such as the patriot act that we need to worry about...
trust the goverment its not all evil i assure you.

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #3874892 - 03/05/05 11:13 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

"The strategy is due to be released to the public as an unclassified document in coming days"

this is probably going to be the first string of counter-intelligence lies,

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: U.S. Readies Aggressive Counterintelligence Plan [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3875408 - 03/06/05 01:50 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zippoz said:
"The strategy is due to be released to the public as an unclassified document in coming days"

this is probably going to be the first string of counter-intelligence lies,

:lol: 5 stars for j00

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

PositiveCynicist
Male
    #3875413 - 03/06/05 01:53 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

roby000 said:
well you have to understand that counterintellegence way back when wasnt something the average military grunt/postal service worker/busdriver/joe goverment would worry about the new programs are about telling these people what info they have that is sensitive and how not to talk about it.  counterintellegence usually sparks they ideas and fantasys about spys and such but man that ballgame is entirely diffrent.  that shits not on the news.  by the way spys for other goverments arent trained over there. they are americans who sell info like the army sgt who was selling documents showing tank weaknesses in thier armor and situations simular.  the new program shows us what to avoid talking about
nothing to worry about.  counternarcotics is the thing to worry about and the usually obtrusive things such as the patriot act that we need to worry about...
trust the goverment its not all evil i assure you.

You a part of the counter-intelligence crew?  :smirk:

Dunno the whole NORML bit and all of that just seemed a touch out of place. (I might be pretending to be paranoid as well for counter-counterintelligence reasons [read intelligent reasons]).

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Invisibleroby000
me
 User Gallery

Re: U.S. Readies Aggressive Counterintelligence Plan [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3876667 - 03/06/05 12:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

yeah i got some counter intell trainig but that dosent mean im not still part of the good guys.

--------------------

InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
    #3877065 - 03/06/05 01:57 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Hopefully our "counter-intelligence" is better than our "intelligence".

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion