Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Some early Shroom hunting Guides for magic Shrooms
    #3872946 - 03/05/05 03:04 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

In the early 1970s, most of the shroom hunting ID guides for the magic shrooms originated int he Pacific Northwest of the United States.

Ghouled's Guide for cubes came out in 1973 and was for shroom hunters from Texas to Florida to Georgia north to South Carolina.
It listed four possible species for consumption.

P. cubensis, P. caerulescens (originally discovered in Huntsville Alabama and not seen there since 1924, found recently in Mississippi), Panaeolus subbalteatus (author misidentified young penial shaped cubes as subbs). and Amanita muscaria, listed as containing psilocybine/psilocine, and described as the famed magic mushroom of Indians of mexico).

That very book is posted somewhere here in one of the FAQ's, minus the images. Here are the black and white photos from that book. Notice the misidentification of young specimens of Psilocybe cubensis as Panaeolus subbalteatus.

The handwriting on the pages posted were actually etched on to the page of the book on the plate before it was printed in the Wolman book.

The same fotos were later reprinted in Arnold Wolman's Shroom ID guide and again in Magic mushrooms of the PNW's firt edition. Here are the two pages of errors from the Ghouled and Wolman guides.

Many errors in those books. Here is the cover for the Wolman field guide of 1975.

The next guide was Leonard Enos which described species of the PNW taken from issue 50 of the Journal Mycologia in an article by Rolf Singer and Alexander H. Smith.

Then came Everett Kardell and Robyn Stitly's Magic Mushrooms: A Guide to 12 Hallucinogenic Species of the pacific Northwest. A $3.00 blue-lined mimeographed printed pamphlet with really simple illustrations of species.

Here is the front cover of Kardell and Stitely's Magic mushrooms published in 1975.

and Richard Hans Norland published this book as part Three of a series. Part one and two were never published and he also offered readers on his back cover a bibliography of hallucinogenic mushrooms for five dollars a copy. He collected money but then never published the bibliography. I also learned a few years later he owed the U of Oregon much money for dozens of Chemical analysis which he never paid for.

His guide was filled with lots of useless graphs and his illustrations were the same as the ones in the late Gary Menser's Hallucinogenic and Poisonous Mushroom Handbook.

He also had numerous shroom id's of mushrooms which are not psychoactive.

I met him in the late 1970s on a few ocassions, once at the Homestead Book Publishing party and again at REI which held a shroom book sale and autograph party of Northwest Shroom authors.

A third time he appeared at my house and I had no idea how he knew where I lived. Never saw him again. His book is 125 pages. Published in Ashland Oregon.

This is the front cover from Norland's book.

And there you have a little history of the coming of the shrooms.

Edited by mjshroomer (03/05/05 07:33 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification