Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCalifornia
A E S T H E T I C S A T A N
 User Gallery

Loc: H A U N T E D H O U S E Flag
Re: What is your opinion of Fox News? [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3877033 - 03/06/05 11:46 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The FOX News ticker at the bottom of the screen is much better than the CNNs' ticker.
There are constant misspellings on CNN but not on FOX.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: What is your opinion of Fox News? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3877095 - 03/06/05 12:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Its as good of a news outlet as any. There will always be a slant on any news anywhere. Just take it at face value and move on.

See, what most people don't realize is that they think the news channels they disagree with are being slanted and corrupted with opinion, however the news channels they like are also slanted but they agree with the opinions and, therefore, do not see the bias.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: What is your opinion of Fox News? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3877109 - 03/06/05 12:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

No, there are no biased TV news here in France, and that's probably because there are only 5 channels available if you don't have satellite or cable.

Objective TV news reports is like a social acquired fact here.

--------------------

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: What is your opinion of Fox News? [Re: exclusive58]
    #3877165 - 03/06/05 12:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:
No, there are no biased TV news here in France, and that's probably because there are only 5 channels available if you don't have satellite or cable.

Exactly, my point. Most people think that their country's news is unbiased because they agree with it. Your news is influenced by popular opinion which dictates what stories are run (because you cannot report all of the news everywhere).

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #3877200 - 03/06/05 12:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:

Irrefutable evidence of the existence of a French Borg

--------------------

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3877202 - 03/06/05 12:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I don't quite agree with you, what dictates what stories are run here is what has the most influence on the general population, what the people care most about, or what has more of an impact on the world and the course of history. a TV news cannot be considered biased just because it doesn't report everything that's going on in the world. First because there's not enough time for it, and also because not many people care that ten people were killed in a bus accident in australia or something.

And it's not like you can "agree" with objective reports man. You can only agree if opinions are given, which isn't the case here. Get it?

Offlinedr0mni
My Own Messiah
 User Gallery

Loc: USF Tampa, Fl
Re: What is your opinion of Fox News? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #3877210 - 03/06/05 12:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have to admit that it is very entertaining! So fun to watch, but I wouldn't listen to any news they reported seriously. At least they let you know it's slanted. LOL!

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3877402 - 03/06/05 01:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Its as good of a news outlet as any.

I disagree. I think Fox is somewhat shittier than the other cable news channels. Although CNN and MSNBC are nothing to brag about.

There will always be a slant on any news anywhere. Just take it at face value and move on.

I want news with no slant. I just want pure information.

See, what most people don't realize is that they think the news channels they disagree with are being slanted and corrupted with opinion, however the news channels they like are also slanted but they agree with the opinions and, therefore, do not see the bias.

Most people are like that, but I am not like that. NPR leans light years to Left. Foreign news services from other industrialized countries seem to be very Leftish. Fox News slants significantly to the Right. I don't like any of them.

I want unbiased information. Yet on Fox News I see an American flag graphic waving, 90% Right-leaning commentators, and news stories that are slanted and selected to support a conservative or pro-American viewpoint. And they have the gall to loudly blather that they are "fair and balanced". Their hypocrisy is what gets me... They do not admit their bias. I get so annoyed at this shit.

I feel the same way when I am listening to NPR and some hip jazz starts playing and some wimpy sounding "sophisticated" Leftish person comes on and makes some subtle and vicious comments about American culture or foreign policy. I also get enraged when I see some foreign news agency that is staffed by people who are not from America trying to insinuate that all Americans are idiots and we are some evil empire. I am so sick of ideology and bias making it into media and journalistic outlets.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: What is your opinion of Fox News? [Re: dr0mni]
    #3877404 - 03/06/05 01:38 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"At least they let you know it's slanted."

no they don't, they present their stuff to you as pure truth.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3877511 - 03/06/05 02:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

All news is biased towards the audience it is presented to.  They want people to read or watch their news so they choose to run stories that people are interested in.  Fox is getting a lot of attention because it is running stories in a different way and everyone is used to the to a more liberal oriented media.  Its a pro-america news organization in america and america is conservative right now so thats the news they present, I don't see why everyone is shocked by this. 

The only way to make news unbiased would be to try to present news equally on all sides of an opinion but that is impossible.  That would mean the news would have to spend 50% of their time covering all the good things coming from the Iraq war and 50% covering all the bad things.  The problem is people who think the war is all bad would say its biased and people who think the war is good would say its biased and people who want balanced news would say its artificial and not really representative.  See what im saying?  Its impossible because everyone has an opinion and you cant cover everything equally all the time.

Fox news runs stories and commentary putting the current administration in a favorable light because a segment of the audience is interested in those stories.  You obviously disagree with them but i guarantee that they will probably disagree with whatever news you think is good.  This simply boils down to a "my opinion is right, and yours is wrong" argument with no real solution.  So just watch whatever news you think is good and don't be hypocritical.  :grin:

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3877542 - 03/06/05 02:07 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Its a pro-america news organization in america and america is conservative right now so thats the news they present, I don't see why everyone is shocked by this.

It's shocking because they claim to be fair and balanced, which they are not. If they would admit their bias I would have much more respect for them.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3877562 - 03/06/05 02:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

All news is biased towards the audience it is presented to.

I realize that, but when the agencies presenting it are not honest about their bias I think it is wrong.

You obviously disagree with them but i guarantee that they will probably disagree with whatever news you think is good. This simply boils down to a "my opinion is right, and yours is wrong" argument with no real solution.

That's not necessarily true. When I want to be informed I don't want to be exposed to opinions. I want to be exposed to unbiased fact. I don't want a slant. Even when I see news that is slanted in a direction that is in line with my own opinions, I still get pissed at it.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3877614 - 03/06/05 02:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I want to be exposed to unbiased fact. I don't want a slant. Even when I see news that is slanted in a direction that is in line with my own opinions, I still get pissed at it.

that's what im talking about..seems like some people feel this is impossible to achieve though  :confused:

The only opinions you get on news here are the opinions of the people that are involved in the event or of random people in the street. And you ALWAYS get opinions of both sides. But you'll never see a news commentator or anything like that give any opinions. I swear!  :crazy: it might be hard to believe i guess...?

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

#3877706 - 03/06/05 02:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Oh i see.  You are talking about the opinionated commentary shows like Geraldo or O'Reilly.  Those aren't really news outlets, they just discuss news that has already been broken for the most part.  Maybe they don't have those in France.  I am also pretty sure they admit that they are giving their opinions in those shows so now im confused as to what we are talking about.  :confused:  When they strictly cover news on these channels, they pretty much just report the story i think.  Maybe you can give some examples?

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3878178 - 03/06/05 03:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The stuff on Fox News can be divided into three areas:

1. The Commentators. These people are expected to to inject their opinions into the discourse. On Fox they are overwhelmingly Right or conservative leaning.

2. The major news stories. On Fox News, these are usually non-biased. However, sometimes they are biased. For example, the recent news about Syria maybe pulling troops out of Lebanon warranted a "War on Terror" graphic right before the story started. If that isn't bias....I don't know what is. Fox News was trying to make Syria look bad. Ironically, I agree that Syria is bad. But, I don't want a news organization to try to influence my opinion. And let's not forget that American flag which constantly waves when the news anchors are giving their reports.

3. The minor stories. These are very biased on Fox. They have a lot of "this or that liberal university group did this dumb thing" stories on there.

Edited by RandalFlagg (03/06/05 03:45 PM)

Offlineshroommachine
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Florida
    #3879902 - 03/06/05 09:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:

When I want to be informed I don't want to be exposed to opinions.  I want to be exposed to unbiased fact.  I don't want a slant.  Even when I see news that is slanted in a direction that is in line with my own opinions, I still get pissed at it.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk ...four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and its not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #3880289 - 03/06/05 09:56 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I want news with no slant. I just want pure information.

Impossible. Even if it was just the facts, they facts that they give and the facts that they omit would give it a bias.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #3881556 - 03/07/05 04:23 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

What is your opinion of Fox News?

it's not perfect but sure beats CNN or the BBC.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Re: What is your opinion of Fox News? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #3894721 - 03/09/05 07:50 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The Daily Show is where its at...the only news program I feel I can relate to. It makes me feel like I'm NOT crazy...that I'm not the only one that can't stand the media's political motivations.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

OfflineNuperSova
Stranger
Re: What is your opinion of Fox News? [Re: kake]
    #3895815 - 03/09/05 11:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If you're going to be slanted-- cool, not that the news media should be, but that's a whole 'nother monster. But please, do away with the whole "Fair and Balanced" spew...as well as shows like 'Hannity and Combs' that would like us to believe that they are really representing the conservative side, as well as the liberal.

--------------------
I Refuse To Say I'm Lost Just Because I Don't Know Where I Am

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale