Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Oyster Shell, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefirsttimer101
Stranger
Any pointers on my plan guys?
    #3872698 - 03/05/05 01:45 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

After my first attempt at growing went horribly wrong, I'm starting over. The first time around I soaked 2/3 cup of rye in 1 cup of water for 24 hours, then PCed the jars without straining or simmering. There was way too much water and half the jars got contaminated.

This is an outline of my second time around:

-I'm going to put 1 cup of rye in each Mason jar, soak for 24 hours, then simmer for 30-45 minutes.

-I'm going to PC for 1 1/2 hours at 15 psi. After cooling, I'm going to move the jars to their new home - my bedroom, the cleanest room in the house. I've set up a few metal shelves and attached plastic sheeting on all sides so th ejars will be completely enclosed. There's very little left in the room but my bed and the wall and floors have been washed down.

-I'm going to do all the inoculations in my bathroom, which has been washed down with fungicide. All the working surfaces are going to be sprayed down before I start work. I'll be wearing scrubs dedicated to the purpose, a dust mask and will shower in another bathroom before starting. All the tools will be cleaned in alcohol and I'll be wearing latex gloves. Previously, I did inoculations in the kitchen with people walking in and out, I don't think this helped my contam rate.

-After colonization, I'll case with oyster shells, vermiculite and peat moss. The jars will be kept on the shelves the whole time. The temp will be kept at 80-85 degrees in the room with a portable heater.

Thanks for reading guys. Does anybody see any weaknesses in the plan? I'm new to this and might be missing something.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Any pointers on my plan guys? [Re: firsttimer101]
    #3872712 - 03/05/05 01:52 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Looks like a sound plan to me. You didn't mentioned anything about draining the rye; make sure you drain it after simmering until it appears pretty dried out. Also, any plans for a filter top on these jars? If not, drill a 1/4" hole and stuff some Poly Fill in the tops.

Good luck

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinefirsttimer101
Stranger
Re: Any pointers on my plan guys? [Re: Holydiver]
    #3879068 - 03/06/05 08:34 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I'll be draining the rye after simmering but since I'm using agar to inoculate, I'll just be opening the lids to quickly insert a piece. The lids will be left slightly loose to allow for gas exchange. I don't contams should be a problem with this set up because the shelves have been completely enclosed with plastic sheeting..sort of like an incubator. I've also got a HEPA unit in the room.

Is there anything I'm missing? I'm even too poor right now to afford more rye if I screw up lol.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Oyster Shell, Peat, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation