Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAnjing
journeyman

Hepas.
    #3870745 - 03/05/05 12:28 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Are HEPA air cleaners really that beneficial? AFOAF is having about 50% contamns right now. I'm sure it would help but they are so damn expensive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Hepas. [Re: Anjing]
    #3870806 - 03/05/05 12:40 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

They really do help out alot. At what point in your cultivation process are the contams popping up at? Whats your growing environment like?? Any animals in the house???

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineAnjing
journeyman

Re: Hepas. [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3870867 - 03/05/05 12:53 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Contamns are showing up during incubation, normally sour rot and sometimes trich. Using a tnt for incubation and pmp for fruiting. He has a dog and cat. He has a bathroom setup for incubation and fruiting, although he does the rest in the kitchen. Damn cat!!!!

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3870908 - 03/05/05 01:05 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Okay, we still need more info. What substrate are you using? How are you sterilizing your substrate? All of your methods for substrate preparation. Are you sure your syringe is viable?? Parameters for incubation, temp?

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

OfflineAnjing
journeyman

#3870953 - 03/05/05 01:18 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

PFtek and Magash's rye tek. PCing at 17 psi for 1 hour. Using karo at the time (angryjslices microwave tek). Rye often contamns more than PF jars. Incubator at 80-85. Fruiting at 75. Casing straight verm. He used to be able to grow with no problems. Lately everything is going wrong.
Thanks!

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
    #3870974 - 03/05/05 01:21 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Might try upping the PC'ing time for the grains to 1-1/2 hrs, though 1 hr works for me, but your grains could be different... Also, are there any signs of contam in the liquid culture???

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

#3870978 - 03/05/05 01:22 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

What is different from your past grows and your current ones. There has to be something that your either doing or not doing.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

OfflineSko
Democrat

Loc: Pacific Northwest
    #3871227 - 03/05/05 02:12 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Try differant substrate? Unless you are in love with rye, or do a mixxed substrate batch, like 1 WBS, 1 Rye, 1 Popcorn, 1 ???

Sour rot means too much water correct? So mabe its your water content?

Also, there should be other ways of filtering the air without the use of a HEPA... Because HEPAs take out all particles in the air that are less than 3 microns in length, 99.97% of 3 micron particles to be exact.

Mabe build a glove box?
Just some ideas... but yea, HEPA filters are like... overkill IMHO...

--------------------
Sko

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Re: Hepas. [Re: Sko]
    #3871327 - 03/05/05 02:34 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

If you have animals in the house HEPA is not overkill, just one more measure to help you out.

--------------------

Edward Abbey

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3871467 - 03/05/05 03:13 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Anjing said: Are HEPA air cleaners really that beneficial? AFOAF is having about 50% contamns right now. I'm sure it would help but they are so damn expensive.

A lot depends on the type, size & local - where you & how you use a hepa.

If you are talking about using a hepa in an area that is as dirty as a junk yard dogs sleeping quarters. All you will do is foul the hepa filter.

Used in a small tight room that is free of cloth, carpet & well sanitized. They are a big help. Simply - to pre-filter the air in the room - prior to doing any clean work, innoc's, G2G, spawning & such. A portable hepa - used with a FLOWHOOD in a small sanitized room is even better.

The place to start is with a glove box. Small contained area - you can sanitize in a few minutes. While some may disagree, no need for any positive pressure air filtration in it - either. Often, if the filter system is not up to snuff - it simply push's contam's into a glove box, defeating it's very purpose.

--------------------

OfflineFleaAccela
Hip-HopEncyclopedia

Re: Hepas. [Re: agar]
    #3992256 - 03/30/05 09:59 PM (11 years, 10 months ago)

man, my homeboy's friend lucked out today. he already had a big hepa (a honeywell enviracare 12528 - a friend of his family gave it to him a while back, had had it for 5 years, never used it, NIB), but now he has another one!

earlier today he went to the local thrift store and found a nice holmes hap-240 for $3! it looked a bit dirty on the outside so he opened it all the way up and spent 2 hours cleaning it with lysol, papertowels and q-tips, got all the sticky ickies outta there and the inside looks so clean that even i myself would have no problem eating anything out of it. he pulled out the filters beforehand (which were ewwwwww...) and has some new ones on the way! after cleaning this used one out very well with lysol, do you think it should be safe for him to use once he gets new filters?

he said he plans to stick this guy in the closet where he plans to work, innoc and grow and keep the big one's filters changed on a reg and keep it running in the same room where the closet is.

he wanted to know tho, because he hasnt started growing (it'll be his first time), if he should somehow line the closet up with something like plastic trashbags or something to that effect? i heard the mentioning of carpets in this post, should he keep those covered as well?

also, in general, how easily do contams flow into a closet place when opened? you would think it'd be a good idea to disenfect the air with spray lysol each time before opening the door to the closet, no?

--------------------
:royalrainbow:I love rolling... my Katamari!!!:royalrainbow:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation