Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinenunciate
Cold and Indifferent
Male User Gallery

Loc: Edge of the World
Harrassed by cops in a grocery store?
    #3870362 - 03/04/05 09:35 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

So, I was in a local grocer's, checking out the beer selection, and from behind me I hear "I need to see some I.D.". I turn around, it's a cop.
I am almost 28, so I say, "no" and go about my business. I understand that he can ask all he wants, but I don't need to give unless I have done something against the law.
He keeps asking me in a very "are we there yet" sort of way. I ignore him. I find a suitible 12 of cold ones and go to get it and he closes the door before I can grab it. Now I am pissed. "can I see some I.D.?"
"Not until I try to purchase what you won't let me grab".
I try to open the door. He closes it. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
This goes on for a bit. I give in after a few minutes because he is much larger than me and I just want some damn beers.
I should have just shown it to him the first time, but I just hate being pestered by law "enforcement" while doing next to nothing while murder, rape... you know.
Am I wrong? Must I show I.D. upon request? Am I all pissed because of nothing? Or was I being harrassed for no good reason?

--------------------
I am the devil and I am just like you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: Harrassed by cops in a grocery store? [Re: nunciate]
    #3870408 - 03/04/05 09:40 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

yes..you must present an ID upon request..the SCOTUS has determined so in a party-line vote...and if you dont carry an ID for that purpose..the consequences may extend far beyond not being able to buy beer...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

Offlinenunciate
Cold and Indifferent
Male User Gallery

Re: Harrassed by cops in a grocery store? [Re: Annapurna1]
    #3870468 - 03/04/05 09:49 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

When did that happen?

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3870472 - 03/04/05 09:49 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

:nonono:  Tisk Tisk.  You reacted all wrong. 

You should have tried to grab his gun and scare him a little.

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3870646 - 03/04/05 10:15 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Must I show I.D. upon request?

Ive known people to get arrested and taken downtown for obstructing justice and charged with it for not presenting ID when requested to do so.

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
Re: Harrassed by cops in a grocery store? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3870655 - 03/04/05 10:17 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Say... "how do I know you're even a cop? You could be impersonating. I want to see some ID from you."

Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
Re: Harrassed by cops in a grocery store? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3870661 - 03/04/05 10:17 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

I guess the better thing to do would have been to ask him to elaborate on this decision to ask you for your I.D. If he refuses to anwser your question, refuse to comply with his request. If he elaborates then just pull out your I.D. but if you felt so harassed you could have just left. Besides, alcohol isn't good for you anyway. I'm not making judgements, just giving opinions.

Offlinenunciate
Cold and Indifferent
Male User Gallery

Re: Harrassed by cops in a grocery store? [Re: trick]
    #3870756 - 03/04/05 10:30 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Hmm, guess I was just being a dick to someone who was doing the same. Lesson learned.
It just... He was "one of those"... bah.
My bad. Show I.D. Get on with life.

RE: trick: I am much less of a drinker than I used to be. It's just beers and wine. No liquor anymore.

--------------------

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3870817 - 03/04/05 10:42 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Were you drinking already when you went to buy beer?

--------------------
Do not desire to reach a high level.Rather work without thought of reward to iron out flaws and impurities in one's self for the sake of one's self.When one has done this one needs not to desire anymore. http://www.lifeforceonlinestore.com/yc/

Offlinenunciate
Cold and Indifferent
Male User Gallery

Re: Harrassed by cops in a grocery store? [Re: UnenlightenedOne]
    #3870855 - 03/04/05 10:51 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

I had 2 pints of 'lite beer' at dinner. Drinking? Yes. Drunk? No.

--------------------

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3870875 - 03/04/05 10:56 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

I had 2 pints of 'lite beer' at dinner. Drinking? Yes. Drunk? No

Hmm.If he thought you had been drinking(IE saw any sign) that might explain why he was a dick.Cops here act the same way if they can tell you had a drink and are buying alcohol.In fact stores here tend to be cop-happy for no good reason.  :frown:

--------------------

Offlinenunciate
Cold and Indifferent
Male User Gallery

#3870906 - 03/04/05 11:04 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

It was just weird, man. If I was trying to nap in the cooler with the beer, or maybe build a BLT in the store, sure, harrass me. But I just walked in, couldn't find what I usually buy and was pissing about for a sec then it all happened.
The closing the door when I opened it is really what got me. I mean... shit, go find a rapist or murderer. God forbid some corporate criminal..
I really should not have even posted this. It's not that big of a deal.

--------------------

OfflineUnenlightenedOne
Two Spirited

#3870948 - 03/04/05 11:17 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

It was just weird, man. If I was trying to nap in the cooler with the beer, or maybe build a BLT in the store, sure, harrass me. But I just walked in, couldn't find what I usually buy and was pissing about for a sec then it all happened.
The closing the door when I opened it is really what got me. I mean... shit, go find a rapist or murderer. God forbid some corporate criminal..
I really should not have even posted this. It's not that big of a deal.

lol Cops are often assholes.He could've been nicer about it.

Thats ok Im banned from buying alcohol from the store closest to my house (10 minute drive) because my fiancee worked there for awhile last year and now ever since they wont let me buy alcohol because they know I cant drive and my fiancee is the only way I can get around the city because I live outside it and since shes 19 and is obviously under 21 they wont sell me alcohol.And the clerk gives me this "Im only doing my job" crap and so I told the clerk now you can do your job and put all this back.I stormed out of the store majorly pissed because I did nothing wrong I had ID and I dont even have a record yet they wouldnt let me buy alcohol.All I mainly wanted was a beer with my thai food I planned to make.I had to have my fiancee drive 30 minutes across town just to buy the alcohol I wanted.(Which is usually vodka and beer mostly although I keep a stocked cabinet for guests)

--------------------

Offlinenunciate
Cold and Indifferent
Male User Gallery

#3871340 - 03/05/05 12:40 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

UnenlightenedOne said:
lol Cops are often assholes.He could've been nicer about it.

Thats ok Im banned from buying alcohol from the store closest to my house (10 minute drive) because my fiancee worked there for awhile last year and now ever since they wont let me buy alcohol because they know I cant drive and my fiancee is the only way I can get around the city because I live outside it and since shes 19 and is obviously under 21 they wont sell me alcohol.And the clerk gives me this "Im only doing my job" crap and so I told the clerk now you can do your job and put all this back.I stormed out of the store majorly pissed because I did nothing wrong I had ID and I dont even have a record yet they wouldnt let me buy alcohol.All I mainly wanted was a beer with my thai food I planned to make.I had to have my fiancee drive 30 minutes across town just to buy the alcohol I wanted.(Which is usually vodka and beer mostly although I keep a stocked cabinet for guests)

ouch

--------------------

Offline2ndRegime
"Place TitleHere"

Loc: Western Region
    #3872028 - 03/05/05 05:32 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

nunciate said:
So, I was in a local grocer's, checking out the beer selection, and from behind me I hear "I need to see some I.D.". I turn around, it's a cop.
I am almost 28, so I say, "no" and go about my business. I understand that he can ask all he wants, but I don't need to give unless I have done something against the law.
He keeps asking me in a very "are we there yet" sort of way. I ignore him. I find a suitible 12 of cold ones and go to get it and he closes the door before I can grab it. Now I am pissed. "can I see some I.D.?"
"Not until I try to purchase what you won't let me grab".
I try to open the door. He closes it. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.
This goes on for a bit. I give in after a few minutes because he is much larger than me and I just want some damn beers.
I should have just shown it to him the first time, but I just hate being pestered by law "enforcement" while doing next to nothing while murder, rape... you know.
Am I wrong? Must I show I.D. upon request? Am I all pissed because of nothing? Or was I being harrassed for no good reason?

Well I believe that cops cannot "search" you until they have a reasonable cause to do so. Even then you would've had to consent to their questioning in the first place. I would've just told him that I don't consent to their questioning (the word "consent" seems to be a big factor when dealing with cops) and tell him that if I were to consent to them what would be there reasonable cause for and I.D search. That should get them thinking.

Also aren't you supposed to get ID'd at the register anyways? To me you were just in a case where a cop just wanted to manipulate you into doing what he says just because he thinks "lowly-civilians" always obey "higher-authority" when in reality we do have certain rights to this higher authority; its just people are too scared to know what to do.

BTW I have a thread pertaining to this subject in the The Pub (maybe it should have been here, oh well check it out).

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3872102 - 03/05/05 06:38 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

I don't think you made a big enough deal out of this. You should have argued a lot more about it. It's fucking ridiculous. You shouldn't have shown him shit. It makes no sense at all.

What did he say when you finally showed him your ID?

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Harrassed by cops in a grocery store? [Re: Annapurna1]
    #3872222 - 03/05/05 08:19 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Annapurna1 said:
yes..you must present an ID upon request..the SCOTUS has determined so in a party-line vote...and if you dont carry an ID for that purpose..the consequences may extend far beyond not being able to buy beer...

That's completely wrong. You're thinking about the Hibel case and their ruling did not require an ID to be presented.

Basically they ruled a State requiring a person to identify himself when questioned by an officer with reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed is Constitutionally legal. They did not state a person has to carry and ID with them. They did not state a person must identify himself, only that a State can require a person to do so under reasonable suspicion. And identify himself a person could simply state his name. He is not required to show ID.

Here's the Nevada law that started the whole case:
Quote:

1. Any peace officer may detain any person whom the officer encounters under circumstances which reasonably indicate that the person has committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime. . . . . . 3. The officer may detain the person pursuant to this section only to ascertain his identity and the suspicious circumstances surrounding his presence abroad. Any person so detained shall identify himself, but may not be compelled to answer any other inquiry of any peace officer.

Offlinenunciate
Cold and Indifferent
Male User Gallery

Re: Harrassed by cops in a grocery store? [Re: Learyfan]
    #3873054 - 03/05/05 01:42 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

Learyfan said:

Nothin'. He just walked away. I really don't get it...

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #3873074 - 03/05/05 01:47 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Quote:

nunciate said:
Quote:

Learyfan said:

Nothin'. He just walked away. I really don't get it...

He didn't say a word? He just walked away? Man, I really wish you had put up a bigger fight. Take opportunities like these where you've done nothing wrong to make a statement.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Harrassed by cops in a grocery store? [Re: Learyfan]
    #3873126 - 03/05/05 01:59 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

No, he was smart not to do or say anything provocative. Assholes like that cop are looking for a confrontation, because of boredom or a swollen ego or both. If he talked back he would have been playing into the pig's hand.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates