Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCrazyBusiness
Stranger thanyou think
 User Gallery

Loc: Under the stairs.
Oven Tek revisited
    #3861209 - 03/03/05 02:54 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

I had a pondering today..

I was looking through old threads here and in several other communities learning about sterile environments. I decided and learned how to make my first pos pressure glovebox, and poked around at other methods. One that stood out to me was one "oven tek" where the materials used were placed at the opening of a hot oven, and "upward currents kept the contams out of the jars". I along, with anyone of any sense thought it was a silly idea, as the contams would just back eddy into the jars and swirl around, filling everything with all but nice growth. I then proceeded to read a bunch of arguments between sensible people like myself and trial and error types who were reporting success with this "tek".

After some thought and much smoking of marijuana I came to a theory. I think the idea of an upward current of warm air has nothing at all to do with the reason why this "bogus" tek has a very high reported success rate. After some study of convection ovens I got to thinking about the amount of air and the rate at which air circulates through an oven, relative to the room. I found that approximately 90% of the air in an average kitchen can be reasonably thought to have passed through a running oven in 4 hours. Virtually all air in the oven approaches very high, unlivable (even for contams) temperatures before its time in the oven is complete, passing by hot elements and being charged with heat to rise out of the oven vent. Given this, an oven can be said to kill virtually all of the bugs in 90% of an average sized kitchen. This is an average kill rate in the entire room. Throw on the added protection of working near the "clean air" outlet of your oven, and you've got yourself a tek :smile:

This brings up the question of how this tek would be performed if adapted for the "other" theory about why it works. I would suggest, as opening of the oven will bring down temperature and thus kill rate, the best way to approach this method would be to run the oven for several hours at a high temperature, and then work in the natural outflow of the oven vent, rather than disturbing the airflow of the room by opening the oven. One could perhaps even attach hose to the outflow on their oven and direct the clean air for a custom area effect. The possibilities with this are plentiful, with the discovery of the actual value behind this tek.

What do you think? I could just be high as shit, but I think theres something to this, and it should be properly tested and documented.

--------------------
...in my opinion

Life's too short, man.. Life's too short. Dont hate me, and I wont put space between us. Dont lie to me, and I wont dislike you. Keep an open mind, and I'll love you.

My advice of the week(do this, you'll like it): listen to Mahogany Rush.

Representing Beatiful British Columbian classic dank. Just think, Columbia for coke, British Columbia for buds. truth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oven Tek revisited [Re: CrazyBusiness]
    #3861232 - 03/03/05 03:31 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

i told you about 20 times in #cultivation
to forget about it, but well, guess your hard to turn down.

i sitll wish you good luck, just always keep this in mind:

uhm yeah and in relation to my ionizer anno said something alike
some time back, it was like "it depends on the environment one has,
then maybe even bogus teks as the oven tek may work,
if the environment is super clean"
peace ohm :mushroom2:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineCrazyBusiness
Stranger thanyou think
 User Gallery

Re: Oven Tek revisited [Re: ohmatic]
    #3861239 - 03/03/05 03:37 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

ohmatic said:
i told you about 20 times in #cultivation
to forget about it, but well, guess your hard to turn down.

i sitll wish you good luck, just always keep this in mind:

uhm yeah and in relation to my ionizer anno said something alike
some time back, it was like "it depends on the environment one has,
then maybe even bogus teks as the oven tek may work,
if the environment is super clean"

:frown: thats the third time you showed me that, and this is the third time I will ask you to try to understand what I'm saying, perhaps reread my words, and realize that I'm talking about an area affecting air sterilizer, rather than some current based hokey hail mary attempt at sterility.

--------------------
...in my opinion

Life's too short, man.. Life's too short. Dont hate me, and I wont put space between us. Dont lie to me, and I wont dislike you. Keep an open mind, and I'll love you.

Representing Beatiful British Columbian classic dank. Just think, Columbia for coke, British Columbia for buds. truth

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Trusted Cultivator
    #3861241 - 03/03/05 03:39 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

CrazyBusiness said:
realize that I'm talking about an area affecting air sterilizer

get a hepa powered flowhood then and quit messing with bogus
non working teks.

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

InvisibleHangnail
Teo Torriatte

Loc: Over at the Frankenstein ...
    #3861323 - 03/03/05 05:30 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

forgetting the picture. there is also the fact that non filtered air is drawn over your project on it's way into the oven.

the oven vent is a better idea, but that air is VERY hot.
glad too see you have the old noodle working. good luck

--------------------
tonight you'll fall asleep in clothes-so late like a candy bar wrapped up for lunch that's all you get to taste
poverty and spit
poverty and spit

OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: Oven Tek revisited [Re: Hangnail]
    #3861687 - 03/03/05 09:31 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

That " Rush of air " you get from the oven, i beleive is from the moisture in the air being heated by the oven, the heat makes the air/moisture expand and creates a flow. < stoner observation mostly.

But, stick with what works, most people who do the oven " tek " and have success could probably just as easily work on their kitchen counters with problems.

I know i would'nt put nothin sterile in MY oven !! LOL...

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
    #3864140 - 03/03/05 06:13 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

CrazyBusiness said:
I had a pondering today.. After some thought and much smoking of marijuana I came to a theory. After some study of convection ovens I got to thinking about the amount of air and the rate at which air circulates through an oven, relative to the room. I found that approximately 90% of the air in an average kitchen can be reasonably thought to have passed through a running oven in 4 hours.

the marijuana has clouded your thinking, convection ovens circulate the air
within the oven, it doesnt pull room air in and expel it back after heating it
although ovens are not air tight, there is no real circulation in and out of
the oven, simply a little heated/expanded air that leaves it and a small amount
that enters

view the picture that Anno did for the oven tek, look at the direction that the
smoke is traveling, most goes up over the lip of the jar but you'll also notice
that there is a small amount thats dropping into the jar, the heat creats a high
pressure area thats trying to stableize its self, it pushes smoke and contams
into the lower pressure area (the jar) which has cooler more condensed air.

Quote:

Virtually all air in the oven approaches very high, unlivable (even for contams) temperatures before its time in the oven is complete, passing by hot elements and being charged with heat to rise out of the oven vent. Given this, an oven can be said to kill virtually all of the bugs in 90% of an average sized kitchen. This is an average kill rate in the entire room. Throw on the added protection of working near the "clean air" outlet of your oven, and you've got yourself a tek :smile:

where is this vent located, I've taken apart and cleaned many ovens, none of
which have venting that goes from the interior compartment with the heating
elements to the outside room area, there are thermal expansion vents to keep
the insulated areas from exploding from pressure buildup but these are seperate
from the oven its self it's a part of the ovens insulation system thats designed
to prevent superheating your house

Quote:

This brings up the question of how this tek would be performed if adapted for the "other" theory about why it works. I would suggest, as opening of the oven will bring down temperature and thus kill rate, the best way to approach this method would be to run the oven for several hours at a high temperature, and then work in the natural outflow of the oven vent, rather than disturbing the airflow of the room by opening the oven.

you realize that running your oven for several hours is going ot increase the
ambient room temps by at least 20 degrees and also waste a great deal of
electricity, it's also not foing ot be as effective as a still air glove box
or better yet, a flow hood, the only effective 'oven tek I could possibly see
is the 'climb in the oven, close the door and work at 450F for an hour. after that, you should be done and no contamination issues, well maybe not done per
say but at least medium rare.

Quote:

What do you think? I could just be high as shit, but I think theres something to this, and it should be properly tested and documented.

I think your right, your just high, try taking your oven apart sometime and see
how its designed, I'll post some pics tonight of mine and how it's put together,
there's no air exchanger

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oven Tek revisited [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3864430 - 03/03/05 07:02 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

the 'vent'

OfflineCrazyBusiness
Stranger thanyou think
 User Gallery

Re: Oven Tek revisited [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #3865341 - 03/03/05 09:56 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

All convection ovens intake and exhaust air. I just came back from my kitchen, where my perfectly normal oven is doing it just now. Perhaps if you reread your oven's manual, looking at the list of parts you would see something usually referred to as a "steam vent" or "exhaust vent". The exchange of air within the oven is required, to prevent steam buildup which would ruin your food.

--------------------
...in my opinion

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3865766 - 03/03/05 11:38 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Glove Box ....hands down beats "oven tek", unless you could get inside the oven & close the door, along with the materials you plan to work with. Bit crowded....LOL.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oven Tek revisited [Re: agar]
    #3866093 - 03/04/05 01:27 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

All the electricity it will cost running the oven for 4 hours at a time will easily cost more then a glove box, even including a flowhood. That is assuming the reasoning is even correct, which I dont.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineSko
Democrat

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Oven Tek revisited [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3866721 - 03/04/05 06:22 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said:
All the electricity it will cost running the oven for 4 hours at a time will easily cost more then a glove box, even including a flowhood. That is assuming the reasoning is even correct, which I dont.

Show me a glove box that cheap?

--------------------
Sko

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oven Tek revisited [Re: Sko]
    #3867466 - 03/04/05 11:31 AM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Agar has plans to build a rediculously huge flowhood for like 150 bucks.

Cheap glovebox though..4 dollar rubbermaid bin, 4 dollar gloves, two holes in the side and you have a glovebox that will do you better/just as good as the oven tek. There are others, better built for 10-50 bucks..Anno or Pris1 had a whole shit load of nice ones meant for opening mail during the whole terrorisim thing, but since anthrax is no longer an issue, they went cheap..look around they're all over.

Running your oven for 4 hours if you need a clean room to work once or twice a week will get expensive fast. Not sure how much your electric bill is, but mines high. Not to mention I have to watch consumption so that my HPS lights go unnoticed.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Oven Tek revisited [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3867635 - 03/04/05 12:15 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

scatmanrav said: Agar has plans to build a rediculously huge flowhood for like 150 bucks.

More like $250..... &....... It is not all that " rediculously" big. Big sucker is nice to work in. Built it big enough I could but AA 941 inside it before opening it.

It is a nice thing to PC large grain/spawn filter/patch bags - UNSEALED. Allow to cool in PC, open under flowhood & G2G.... then impulse seal bags. Almost ZERO contam rate.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #3869254 - 03/04/05 05:43 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

It amazes me how much trouble we see people going through to avoid cutting 2 arm sized holes in a small clear rubbermaid container. Just put some latex gloves on and stick ur arms through the holes. That will give a tremendous success rate. If you seal it up totally, so much the better, but a simple rubbermaid with two holes cut will give excellent results. I carry one and a bag of latex gloves in my jeep at all times when in the mountains. I'm always cloning wild fruits and that simple thing is what I use.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
Re: Oven Tek revisited [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3869980 - 03/04/05 08:21 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I must say, the glove box is so cheap.... the only thing better is the flow hood, which is a lot harder to make and costs tons more... but the flow hood is all the easier and more pleasureful to work out of.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Oven Tek revisited [Re: Fluxburn]
    #3870126 - 03/04/05 08:46 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

That thing is huge agar! I'm jealous.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3872566 - 03/05/05 10:54 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Quote:

scatmanrav said: Agar has plans to build a rediculously huge flowhood for like 150 bucks.

More like $250..... &....... It is not all that " rediculously" big. Big sucker is nice to work in. Built it big enough I could but AA 941 inside it  before opening it.

It is a nice thing to PC large grain/spawn filter/patch bags - UNSEALED. Allow to cool in PC, open under flowhood & G2G.... then impulse seal bags. Almost ZERO contam rate. 

I think sir, you are confused on the definition of rediculously huge, because both your PC and that flowhood are rediculous man :smile:

Ok, 250...but still for a huge flowhood. Like said though, simple glovebox is cheap, easy and will do you better then waiting 4 hours heating up your house wasting electricity to do some work...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag