Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
How do I make electronic music?
    #3869348 - 03/04/05 05:57 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Growing up taking music classes in school, I've always wanted to write. I've decided that I wanted to make electronic in the same ways shpongle and infected mushroom does. I've tried unsuccesfully to get programs that would let me do this... do you have any suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3869428 - 03/04/05 06:11 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

You can try fruity loops, thats what most "keyboard composers" use and it can do some cool shit. Good electronic music is usually done using samplers and synthesizers to make the sounds and sequencers to basically arrange them.

Offlinetomk
King of OTD

Loc: PNW
Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: Catalysis]
    #3869459 - 03/04/05 06:17 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Learn Digital performer 4. Once you can master that, you can do anything.

--------------------
"I am eternally free"

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: tomk]
    #3869825 - 03/04/05 07:35 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Start off small. Get a program like FruitLoops or ReBirth. When you get the hang of that, move on to tougher stuff like Reason.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: BrAiN]
    #3869827 - 03/04/05 07:36 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

oh yea. Make sure you have a good sound editing program too. SoundForge and Adobe Audition both have shareware copies you can try out.

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
    #3870578 - 03/04/05 10:05 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

I'd go with Brain's advice... I started out many years ago working in fruityloops when it was pretty bogus. since you're musically trained the piano roll will help alot, along with step sequencing.

don't start out with the hardest program you can find unless you're a masochist...you will get fed up and frustrated and you may just want to quit... you want to see results quick, and you want to see yourself progress. once the small programs get boring and then you know it's time to step up your game.

from the little schpongle I've heard they sound pretty "organic", so in order to produce their types of sounds you'd need either some really good high end soft synths or maybe some really good samples, and you'll also probably need to be decently good at EQing... i honestly have only heard maybe 20 minutes though, but it seemed to have a lot of "depth". that's the biggest problem with software audio...you have to work to make it sound less cheesy, because it's for the most part designed to be cookie cutter.

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#3870804 - 03/04/05 10:40 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

buy one of these.

KORG OASYS

I have a

Triton Le 88

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: Jim]
    #3871410 - 03/05/05 12:58 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

That KORG must cost a shitload. I've also been interested is making some GOA/Psy trance myself actually. This is the synthesizer I have my eyes on right now.

Clavia Nord Lead 3

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: Osker246]
    #3871538 - 03/05/05 01:38 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

I started off doing MODS with scream tracker/faster tracker..that was great in teaching you how to do STEPS/CLICKS...

HAMMERHEAD is a cheesy program but it's a great fundamental tools.

Get a cheao keyoard but make sure it's MIDI! MIDI is fundamental

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3871616 - 03/05/05 02:19 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Acid Pro is user friendly and you can use anything to loop with. I fyou get good enough with it you do just as much as DP minus the enormous MIDI features on there.

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#3871785 - 03/05/05 03:17 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Acid Pro can't touch DP4!

Software can't touch this hardware:

InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3872532 - 03/05/05 10:47 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

I actually have Acid Pro. It isnt the best program for loops in my opinion. But for what I hear it makes great recording software. I still have to play with it some more, I havent had alot of time to mess with it.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3872773 - 03/05/05 12:12 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

DP is great for MIDI chains and anything MIDI. I can do just as much with ACID pro and sonic foundry as you could do with DP. It is all just in finding what you are comfortable with and what you learn the best.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
    #3872802 - 03/05/05 12:18 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

I have made electronic music for 10 years almost.

The most important item is a sequencer.
Cubase Sx, Digital Performer, Logic, Pro-tools, Etc.
They can sequence audio tracks and midi tracks, effects etc.

Next important is a separate audio editor (or really get comfortable using the one in your master program).
This is necessary because using effects in electronic music is a big big deal.

You don't need to buy a hardware synth at all. Honestly Absynth sounds just as good as a Nord Lead 3, I have both. The soft synths sound just as good as a hardware synth now.

Last but not least is mixing and mastering. It will take you a long time to figure this out, and do it successfully. This is the practice of making the music sound similar to a commercial CD based on items such as compression, eqing, gates, reverb, etc. is used to balance the audio levels in a track so they sound the same loudness through out the track.

Of course, the composition in itself is a whole task that takes forever to learn. You need to read about song formats, as they even apply to crazy psychedelic trance.

The whole thing is lots of good music comes from people that know the basics first. It is hard to break the rules, if you don't already know them.

Of course, if you have an ear for music you can copy riffs from any song, (I have done this by accident so many times) to give you inspiration of the big guys. Actually I think the best way to start out is to listen to a song you like 20 times, listen for detail, the echos, delays, the way the kick drum sounds, every little thing. Try to make that in your program... they are using the same program.

The only thing they have that you don't is access to very nice hardware compressors and effects units, mics and preamps. Of course they have a hardware synth like a nord lead 3 or a virus, but honestly those softsynths like crystal (free) or rhino, absynth, oddity, etc. kick some serious ass. Also waves plugins make for a pretty cheap compressor compared to the $1,000 units you want to buy to sound good.

But the whole thing is you don't need all that crap. Listen to wu tang's clan firsts album, it sounds like shit compared to today's records from an recording aspect. Yet, that cd sounds great, and always will because the Music is great.

The point is don't get caught up in the gear, unless you have the biggest shitload of money.

Alternatively if you are broke, you can make music another way. You download a shitload of samples, everything you can find and use a program to load them in. You can use the crappiest computer for this, just process the audio and sequence it.

My buddy makes music this way that sounds commerical, even better then mine because he just goes at it all day and night. I have 10k worth of gear and he has like $500 worth of gear.

These days, the software is so good, if you can't make good music with it, then you aren't really applying yourself. A hardware synth is nice, but you can buy a shitty used controller that has 76 keys at your local music shop with knobs for $100 and use it to control softsynths.

Check this out as well, all those new synths are just MARKETING.
I have a yamaha ex5, the one before the motif and it sounds just like the motif. Actually they have the same damn sound engine! It is ridiculous the new keyboards that come out. I opened up my nord lead 3, the computer section is so small, it takes nothing to run a sound engine ok. All those roland and yamaha new keyboards are just all hype. The only thing that is a big deal is the sound banks since certain sounds get popular in the scene, but you can get samples of those.

Sample cd's are just as good, if not better then a keyboard. Why? A keyboard you can make you own melodies lalal, apply your own effects(that aren't ever as good as the hardware effects used on nice sampling cd's). Vs. you can buy a sampling cd or download it, and cut up the samples (learn tons in the process about mixing and mastering by default) and get an ear for what professional sounds like.

Regardless it will take you years to make good music.
Captin Tinrib's first cds blow ass compared to his new material, but hey 20+ years has gone by since his first cd.

Infected Mushrooms music is amazing compared to his first cd, so expanding on the territory of that music.

Same thing with almost every artist that started out. I have a cd of my first music that I will never release. I will release the second cd though. It takes a lot to get a commercial cd, before you waste you money on hardware, make a cd or single that sounds commercial based on software only.

Another thing is to read magazines at barnes in knoble like Future Music, Electronic Musician, Mix, etc. These magazines have a shitload of knowledge for the newbie. I read these magazines for 4 years, went to classes at a college for sound (very good idea), had piano from my mom, a pianist as a child, and have made music for countless hours and it still is only so good.

Another key point is sending music out to record labels. It is really a hussel to get on a label and get established.... if this is not your orientation sorry, but I seem to think the goal of every musician is to be heard by the world.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: How do I make electronic music? [Re: Fluxburn]
    #3873210 - 03/05/05 02:23 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Yeah, I just make some electronica crap when im bored or high or both. Im not really serious about it, but it is fun to make and then listen to. I put a bunch of songs on soundclick.com. That website is great for artist promotion (if your into that kind of thing) since you can upload a bunch of MP3's onto that site, and use them for music uploads so it doesnt eat away at your own bands website transfers.

InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3873588 - 03/05/05 04:17 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Damn Fluxburn you seem to know alot when it comes down to it. I think I might have to come to you if I have any questions when the time comes for me to get everything together. Another question though, what exactly do you mean by softsynth? Im still learning a great deal about producing my own electronic music so theres somethings I still dont know.

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA Flag
    #3873906 - 03/05/05 05:48 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

Yah, I know enough that I could teach classes on it lol. A softsynth is a software synthesizer. It is similar to a hardware synthesizer, i.e. a korg triton, but it works within your computer and uses the memory and cpu as the synthesis engine vs a couple chips like a hardware synthesizer.

If you have any questions, I would be more then happy to help.

Another board that is excellent is homerecordingbbs
they have a lot of knowledge on that site, but for yoursake you seem to not know the basics here.

Try subscribing to electronic musician, it's only 20-30 bucks a year and will help you tremendolously in understanding how the music is made. You can also goto the site KVR about softsyths as they rate all of them.

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

InvisibleOsker246
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#3875109 - 03/05/05 10:09 PM (19 years, 18 days ago)

hmmm sounds interesting, im going to have to do some reading up on all this stuff. I'll join the board when I get home and got some time to look around, thanks for sharing. As for the  magazine I think I just might have to sign up :smile:

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3875463 - 03/06/05 12:16 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

flux, are you a member of homerecording.com/bbs?
the forum is quiet compared to the shroomery, but still pretty handy. and of course all the other info on the site is great for getting started

Offlinelackobreath
Cannabis Man
    #3875465 - 03/06/05 12:16 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

If there's a prog that you can't find a decent demo for, lemme know and I might be able to help you out. I think I've tried like 80%-90% of the programs listed.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract