Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePaintballAds
wtf?

Buying Vermiculite?
    #3867590 - 03/04/05 12:03 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

where can i find this stuff? i'm tired of doing the mycobags and want to start doing it the hard way, but where is a good place to purchase this?

sorry i'm still a stupid newb trying to learn  :blush:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
Re: Buying Vermiculite? [Re: PaintballAds]
    #3867594 - 03/04/05 12:04 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

home depot, lowes, any place really w/ a garden center in it, GL

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
Re: Buying Vermiculite? [Re: SoK]
    #3867606 - 03/04/05 12:10 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

is it true that one day Vermiculite will no longer be around in this world? i hurd that people are turning against it.

OfflinePaintballAds
wtf?

Re: Buying Vermiculite? [Re: p4kSouL]
    #3867619 - 03/04/05 12:13 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

thanks! i'll pick some up today then. didn't think it was going to be that easy lol.

OfflineSoK

#3867658 - 03/04/05 12:20 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

those turning against it are the uninformed (at least, to my knowledge lol) :smile:

i hear people turn against it because one of the mines where it was being collected also had deposits of asbestos, so when laborers got sick they blamed the verm... like everything else

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3867660 - 03/04/05 12:20 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Actualy, its usually not. Home Depot and walmart dont carry it. I've heard it being at Lowes. Also any garden centers. If you can order online though, find 4 or 6 cubic foot bags and its CHEAP.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

OfflineSoK

Re: Buying Vermiculite? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3867665 - 03/04/05 12:22 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

yeah it's very cheap online, surprisingly i can get it at almost any store around me that has even the smallest gardening section... walmart had it, kmart sams, costco etc. etc.

many options for me on gardening supplies, but not so much on grain suppliers

OfflineSamAdams
Stranger
Re: Buying Vermiculite? [Re: SoK]
    #3867694 - 03/04/05 12:29 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I found vermic today at Ocean state Job lot..... It starts to come around more in the Spring at different places around here.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Buying Vermiculite? [Re: SamAdams]
    #3867803 - 03/04/05 12:54 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

This is true! When I looked around at all those store was when I first started, when winter started...verm was out of season :frown: Maybe yall have better luck these days at random stores. I'm still sticking with online...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Invisiblep4kSouL
Animals Are Cool
    #3867843 - 03/04/05 01:03 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

when i went to home depot to try to find some verm the dude like freaked out at me and said they don't sell it there because its bad for the environment or something similar.

Offlinelordoftheshroomz
recoveringaddict
 User Gallery

Loc: wouldn't you like to kno ...
    #3867852 - 03/04/05 01:03 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

--------------------
MY Glove Box, Automated Terrarium, and Incubator
Lil' Wyte, Three Six Mafia, Project Pat will bring it to ya door if theres ana on ya chest.
THE PATRIOT ACT MAY BE THE DOOM OF US ALL! THEY CAN GET THINGS LIKE YOUR MEDICAL/LEGAL RECORDS, YOUR INTERNET HISTORY, YOUR GOOGLE SEARCH INFORMATION, ALL WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR A WARRANT! ALSO NO ONE CAN LEGALLY TELL YOU. YOU'LL NEVER KNOW UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE, THIS ISN'T EXACTLY A FREE COUNTRY ANYMORE NOW IS IT? THEY ARE DESTROYING THIS COUNTRY SO THEY CAN GET RICHER! THE WAR IN IRAQ ACCOMPLISHED NOTHING! HELP GET THE CONSERVATIVE RIGHT WING-NUTS OUT OF POWER, MAKE AN EDUCATED VOTE!

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Buying Vermiculite? [Re: p4kSouL]
    #3867855 - 03/04/05 01:04 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

p4kSouL said:
is it true that one day Vermiculite will no longer be around in this world? i hurd that people are turning against it.

If that ever happens...I know this little raccoon guy that has mining connections and he will make a fortune selling Verm.

lolzz

right Agar?

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinebrianh1818
Master of theVision Quest
Loc: New York
Re: Buying Vermiculite? [Re: Roadkill]
    #3867885 - 03/04/05 01:09 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

yeah mycosupply worked great for me....couldn't find that stuff anywhere around where I live

OfflineTomatadunothing
Stranger

Re: Buying Vermiculite? [Re: brianh1818]
    #3867928 - 03/04/05 01:16 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Vermiculite isn't real hard to find. Home Depot does cary vermiculite year around at every home depot I have ever stepped foot into. It should be near the jiffy mix and the perlite.

If you go to a big gardening chain, you can normally purchase 3+ cubic foot bags for pretty cheap.

There is no longer asbestos in vermiculite, and no, it's not going to be illegal.

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: Buying Vermiculite? [Re: brianh1818]
    #3867938 - 03/04/05 01:19 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

NeedMoreSleep said on 1/30/05 at 04:02 PM:
I've seen alot of posts about people not being able to find verm over the past couple of months. Alot of people have said its because its out of season or what not. In case you didn't know, vermiculite is often used in fireplaces for people that use fake/gas logs. So when its out of season for gardening, its actually in season for gas log fireplaces. A FOAF uses this, and works out great for him. Just look in the section of Home Depot/Lowes for fireplace supplies. Just an FYI...

Link: You can zoom in and see the texture on the Lowe's site here...

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3867998 - 03/04/05 01:34 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Roadkill said:
Quote:

p4kSouL said:

If that ever happens...I know this little raccoon guy that has mining connections and he will make a fortune selling Verm.

lolzz

right Agar?

What the big deal was ... is a mine in Libby Montana that produced verm was found to be contaminated with asbestos. The mine was SHUT DOWN by the EPA.

After that, all USA verm producers had to have their verm TESTED by EPA to insure it did not contain asbestos.

Verm on USA market is as safe as garden dirt, if not safer.

That verm scare & associated stupid dis-information about it - from years back, is where store managers get goofy.

Like some dirty swamp water is tainted & unsafe to drink. That sure as hell doesnt mean all water is unsafe to drink.

But, go figure - some of those store managers have IQ equal to a bag of verm, anyway. Stupid is - as stupid does.

All USA marketed verm ----- IS SAFE.

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Buying Vermiculite? [Re: agar]
    #3868030 - 03/04/05 01:41 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

agar said:

What the big deal was ... is a mine in Libby Montana that produced verm was found to be contaminated with asbestos. The mine was SHUT DOWN by the EPA.

After that, all USA verm producers had to have their verm TESTED by EPA to insure it did not contain asbestos.

Verm on USA market is as safe as garden dirt, if not safer.

That verm scare & associated stupid dis-information about it - from years back, is where store managers get goofy.

Like some dirty swamp water is tainted & unsafe to drink. That sure as hell doesnt mean all water is unsafe to drink.

But, go figure - some of those store managers have IQ equal to a bag of verm, anyway. Stupid is - as stupid does.

All USA marketed verm ----- IS SAFE.

Very true

I have read several articles on the Libby mine.

That mine really caused us(the mushroom community) alot of problems.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3868062 - 03/04/05 01:47 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I have the "Closet Cultivator" (not for shrooms :smile:) and it states verm is dangerous because it contains asbestos. Was from like 96 too.

Dont get me wrong..I'm not saying this to be the case...just showing how deep misinformation can go.

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3868098 - 03/04/05 01:56 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

For many years, The Vermiculite Association has been recognized as the international association of companies involved in the vermiculite industry. It is the primary association for miners, expanding companies, and vermiculite consultants throughout the world, and it should continue to maintain this position. And, it should continue to be viewed as the primary voice of the vermiculite industry throughout the world!

During the last few years, however, the vermiculite industry in North America has been subjected to continual attacks from well-meaning, but misinformed newspaper and magazine articles and on national television shows.

This publicity has prompted new studies and investigations by regulatory agencies like EPA, NIOSH, and OSHA; and it has caused severe economic injury to many small businesses that continue to mine and process vermiculite

Because The Vermiculite Association is an international association with many members who have not been affected by this bad publicity, and because it also has members who are being sued as a result of the publicity, it hasn't been willing or able to be as proactive as some might desire or expect. The Vermiculite Institute is being organized to provide a voice to those who desire a more proactive resource.

It is true the Libby, Montana vermiculite mine contained asbestos; and it is true that many miners and some plant workers who had regular exposure to the mine and to the crude vermiculite from that mine have developed health problems.

But it is also true that vermiculite is not asbestos, that the Libby, Montana mine was closed in 1990, and that the vermiculite being mined and sold in North America today simply does not approach any of the regulatory limits in place for miners, plant workers, and consumers.

Almost all of the mine workers and plant workers who developed health problems because of the presence of asbestos in the Libby ore had filed health claims and legal suits long before the current spate of publicity. For instance, in the late 1970's, the first of several worker-related lawsuits had been filed. And knowledge of the presence of asbestos in Libby was well known: in the late 1970's, every railroad car transporting the crude vermiculite from Libby was labeled ("Product contains asbestos fibers. Avoid creating dust. Breathing asbestos dust may cause bodily harm..."), the Consumer Product Safety Commission reported that vermiculite could contain asbestos , a number of NIOSH studies were conducted on the workers during the 1980's, and articles appeared in a number of trade journals and newspapers during the period from 1978 to the early 1990's.

In response, other mines began to test regularly for asbestos, and were checked regularly by MSHA (Mining Safety Health Administration).

Meanwhile, there has been no evidence that the presence of expanded Libby vermiculite in homes across the country does or has ever caused health problems.

And yet, there has been a rash of bad publicity.

The current publicity has been a combination of some reporters who have been trying to sensationalize old news, others who have enjoyed being able to publicize a significant problem or issue concerning the W.R. Grace Company, some who simply have been misinformed or sloppy in their research, and still others who may be well meaning but were too trusting of the objectives and research of other reporters---and so they simply passed on what was misinformed and incorrect.

The outcome of all this publicity and concern, however, has been economic injury to many small businesses which mean well, who have carefully used only vermiculite which had been carefully tested for the presence of asbestos, and who have complied with all the current OSHA, MSHA, and EPA type regulations.

And so the Vermiculite Institute has been formed to counter-act as much of the bad publicity as it can, to be proactive in matters of regulatory concerns, and to function as a "political action committee" for the many smaller businessmen in the vermiculite industry who have been impacted by the spate of bad publicity we have received.

Working with other industries and concerns, the Vermiculite Institute may address issues being raised by regulators and legislators about the acceptable levels of asbestos in mines, in the workplace, and in consumer products. There are ambient levels of asbestos fibers throughout the world, and especially in the industrialized world. And yet, as a result of some of the misinformed and technologically inaccurate publicity vermiculite has received, some have raised the possibility of regulations prohibiting the presence of any asbestos fibers in all mined products. This may not be realistic. And some groups may have to begin working to prevent the damage and economic injury, which would occur if the trigger levels of asbestos fibers were lowered beyond reason and necessity.
June 2004

LINK TO ARTICLE

--------------------

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: Buying Vermiculite? [Re: agar]
    #3868135 - 03/04/05 02:07 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Agar, I love when you do that :grin:

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale