Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
pachycerus pecten-aboriginum
    #3865309 - 03/03/05 09:50 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

my cacti are getting quite large does anyone have any experience with them? how is there potency?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: pachycerus pecten-aboriginum [Re: durban_poison]
    #3865342 - 03/03/05 09:57 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

how cool, no pics?
sorry, i have no idea. but i've already read about it...

FH

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
Re: pachycerus pecten-aboriginum [Re: felixhigh]
    #3865357 - 03/03/05 10:01 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I couldnt find any info on this cacti anywhere. My friend started from them from seed and gave me a few. Lots of thorns though. I will post pics from my friends computer soon because i broke my digi cam. Where did you find more info on this cacti?

Invisibleeric_the_redS
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: happy land
    #3865546 - 03/03/05 10:45 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Cactaceae/Pachycereus_pectiniferus.html

Quote:

Cawe (or Pachycereus Pecten Aboriginum) contains no mescaline. It contains other psychoactive (narcotic) alkaloids though. Cawe is employed by the Tarahumara Indians as a hallucinogenic ( psychedelic) drink prepared from the juice of the young branches of this huge cactus. The 1 to 4 inch plant you will receive is way to small for consumption. Patience is the word. Allow this devine plant a decade.

Quote:

3-Hydroxy-4-methoxyphenethylamine is identified in a plant, Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum, apparently for the first time.
http://www.tacethno.com/info/trichocereus/agurell.html

Quote:

Family: Cactaceae

Common names: Cawe, Hecho.

Related species:

Description: A rather common, huge, short-spined organ-pipe cactus that can grow to over 10 meters tall. Bears beautiful white blooms with purple edges and has globus fruit densely covered in yellow wool and bristles.

Native to:

Cultivation parameters:

Active constituents: Contains arizonine, carnegine, heliamine, ispsalsoline, 3-4-dimethoxyphenethylamine, salsoline, salsolidine, 4-hydroxy-3-methoxyphenethylamine, 3-hydroxy-4 methoxyphenethylamine.

Traditional/medicinal uses: The Tarahumara Indians of Mexico use the young branches to make a sacred narcotic drink. It is also known as Wichowaka, which means insanity. Causes dizziness and visual hallucinations.

Quote:

A candle whose thorny fruit were used like combs by the Indians, use from where it draws its name. Very near to Pachycereus pringlei , from which it is distinguished some, when it is young, by a more regular general form, less out of shorter bludgeon, and its spines.
Arborescent column-like cactus strongly ramified until 8m top (10m according to Backeberg) to the well defined trunk of 0,4-1 (-2)m top on 30-40cm of diameter and to the drawn up stems dark green, grooved, of 9-13cm of diameter.
10-12 coasts with the areolas carrying 1-3 gray central spines at darker end, of 1-3cm from length and 8-9 radial spines gris?tres of until ?m length. On the fertile parts of the old stems, the areolas present a reddish wool chestnut and fine spines of until 6cm length.
Night flowering being prolonged the next morning, of December until spring (March). White flowers of 7-9cm length, with purplished external petals. Floral flexible silk P?ricarpelle and tube dens?ment covered reddish chestnut, with little or not of fine spines.
Fruit dry, of 6-7,5cm of diameter, forks and spoons of yellowish wool, and fine spines. Seeds black shining of 4-6mm length.

Illustrations: In The Cactus Family d' Anderson (2001), Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum is illustrated correctly p. 535, but also under the erroneous denomination of Stenocereus queretaroensis p. 647!
Culture
Easy culture without great characteristics compared to the general conditions of culture of the family of Cactaceae .
Given like resistant to the cold until -2?C to dryness for short periods and if the temperature goes up in day, but one will avoid going down below 5?C, and even 7?C by safety.
Reproduction by sowing, even bouturage of stems.
Etymology
Pachycereus : of the Greek pakhys , thick: thick candle.
pecten-aboriginum : of Latin pecten , comb, and aborigenes , natives, in reference for the use of the fruits as a comb by the Indians.
Anecdotes
Vernacular names: chaw?, hecho (or etcho), wichowaka (madness as a Tarachumara Indian)...
Common nouns: card?n, card?n hecho, card?n barb?n (Spanish), aborigine' S comb, indian' S comb, hairbrush cactus (English), Kamm-Baumkaktus (German).
Ecology:
Like other candles of the Peaceful coast of Mexico, Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum is adapted to a night pollination by the bald people mouse, mainly the bald person migrating mouse Leptonycteris curasoae . Night flowering is prolonged however the morning: the flower starts to be closed again gradually starting from 9h morning but the fruitfulness and the production of nectar continue until worms 13-14h.
A study undertaken on two populations of the state of Sonora, at the north of the surface of distribution of this cactus, however highlighted a weak role at almost no one of the bald people mouse, pollination being assured mainly by day birds which visit the flowers in the early morning: hummingbirds, peaks...
The same study showed the car sterility from the flowers from this species, all hermaphrodites. This car sterility is usual at Pachycereus diplo?des like are Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum and Pachycereus weberi , whereas the populations hermaphrodites of Pachycereus pringlei , which is tetraploid car, are car fertile.
F Molina-Freaner, A. Rojas-Mart?nez, H.T. Fleming, A. Valiente-Banuet, Pollination biology of the columnar cactus Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum in M?xico north-western, Newspaper of Arid Environments 56(1) 117-127 (January 2004).
Ethnobotanique: The fruits were transformed into hairbrushes by withdrawing the spines on with dimensions fruit to be able to hold it in hand. The remaining spines were ?point?es with the flame or the scissors, then the unit was softened with hot water to give him a suitable form.
The young branches are cooked in water, and the liquid thus obtained by infusion used against the pain and like laxative, but also, according to the university of Michoac?n, like hair lotion to make push the hair. The pulp of the young stems is used against the ulcers, and out of cataplasm on the wounds. Wood is used for construction.
The Tarachumara Indians crush the young branches to make of it a breuvage hallucinogen called caw?, chaw? or wichowaka. This candle would not contain mescaline, but an alkaloid rather close to the anhalonine, which would cause tetanic spasms.
Habitat
Mexico : Low northern and southern California, desert of Sonora, Sinaloa and states adjacent, Peaceful coast to the isthmus of Tehuantepec in the state of Oaxaca.
Exposure
Live (maximum luminosity, full accepted sun)
Mini temperature
7?
Waterings
Winter: None. Summer: Means.
Substrate
Standard (3 thirds)
High limits of size
Height: 8 Mr. Largeur: 3 m.
Color of the flowers
white
Specialized publications
The Cactaceae 2:70-71, fig. 105-106 (1920):
" 3. Pachycereus pecten-aboriginum (Engelmann) Britton and Rose, Contr. U S. Nat. Herb. 12: 422. 1909.
Cereus pecten-aboriginum Engelmann in S. Watson, Proc. Land-mark. Acad. 21: 429. 1886.
Tree-like, 5 to 10 meters high, with has trunk 1 to 2 meters high and 3 DM. in diameter, crowned with many erect branches; ribs 10 gold 11; areoles 1 cm. in diameter gold even less, extending downward in narrow grooves, the flowering ones forming brownish cushions connecting with the areoles below, densely tomentose (grayish except in flowering ones, which are brownish gold reddish); spines 8 to 12, 1 to 3 exchange, all shorts, usually 1 cm long gold less, goal in some boxes 3 cm long, grayish with black tips; flowering areoles not much larger than the others; flowers 5 to 7.5 cm long; ovary covered with dense software hairs with only has few bristles gold none; outer perianth-segments purple, succulent; inner ones white, fleshy; stamens very numerous; style with 10 linear stigma-lobes; fruit 6 to 7.5 cm. in diameter, dry, covered with yellow wool and long yellow bristles.
Locality type: Hacienda San Miguel, Chihuahua, Mexico City.
Distribution: Chihuahua, Sonora, Colima and Lower California.
Illustrations: Contr. U S. Nat. Herb. 5: F 32; pl. 57, 58; Gard. and For. 7: F 54; Dict. Gard. Nicholson Suppl. F 233, all have Cereus pecten-aboriginum .
Figure 105 and 106 are copied from the two punts first cited above."

here

--------------------
Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

Offlinerockstafarian
unsui

Re: pachycerus pecten-aboriginum [Re: eric_the_red]
    #3867994 - 03/04/05 01:33 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Sounds similar to the alkaloid content of a giant saguaro.

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
Re: pachycerus pecten-aboriginum [Re: eric_the_red]
    #3868757 - 03/04/05 03:55 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

tetanic spasms, that doesnt sound fun what do they entail? thanks for all the information. mine are about a foot tall and 2 years old they were only about a inch when i recieved them they grow like weeds.so in your opinon are they worth trying, have you tried them? should i mix them with a peruvian torch when i make tea? please tell me this cactus isnt a total waste of my time.

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
    #3868781 - 03/04/05 03:59 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

let it grow, this is a more obscure cactus, not of the pop kind...
who knows?

FH

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
Re: pachycerus pecten-aboriginum [Re: felixhigh]
    #3869386 - 03/04/05 06:04 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

looked up tetanic spasms and it doesnt sound plesant similar to tetnus poisoning not that i even know what thats like. but i know what i dont like and thats uncontrolled spasms guess i will clone and let them grow till somebody else risks spasming. hey if you want a cutting if mine make it do you want one? I imagine i would have to cut the thorns off for shipping, not sure if that would hurt it let alone how to safely package it. pm me if you want one.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck