Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinezorakensis
Mad ScientistMeets CrazyHippy

Loc: Gulf Coast
So why the darkness?
    #3863909 - 03/03/05 07:28 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hey Shroomers,

I've been around a few weeks now, got some great help. I've got 9 PF Jars at about 12 days now. Some are nearly completely colonized. I've been curious about a few things:

1. Why the darkness? Does it harm them when I turn the light on in the morning to get a good peek at the progress and check for contams?
2. Should I wait for primordia in the jars before birthing? I'm impatient? What does it matter?
3. If I put my first couple birth'd in a tank in a window sill will this be okay? Can I give them too much light?
4. About 75 degrees (room tempish here) when they are birthed?
5. Would someone explain to me dunk and roll again... I've read the teks and I feel a little confused by it.. tell me if I get it right below:

Put cake in a tuperware or something with 1:10 peroxide/water overnight in fridge. (doesn't the peroxide hurt the mycelium?). Spread verm. on a tray and spray it so its moist. Roll the cake in the wet verm. Put in fruiter and sprinkle more verm on top.

Am I right?

Thanks for all the help guys. So far this is great and fun. And I owe it all to the wonder of the Shroomery. Happy trips,

Z

--------------------
Suspended in the darkness of
The cool and still Boulder Creek Night
I hear the song of the cricket
And locusts and frogs
And I wonder
Is this the life of a Mushroom - Barbara E Hanson

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLibertycapper
Doctor Banner
 User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia
Re: So why the darkness? [Re: zorakensis]
    #3863936 - 03/03/05 07:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Wow! Thats a load of questions. The first thing that struck me was when you explained your dunk and roll technique. It is fine, except that you should be sure to sterilize the vermiculite before you roll your cake. The darkness to light thing is one of the triggers, along with humidity and temp. change, that causes cubensis to fruit. All this info is available in the shroomery very readily and my suggestion would be to read some more cuase I got sore fingers already! Oh yeah, I never waited for primordia, only full colonization. And no, too much light would be more than 18 hours in my OWN opinion.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3863937 - 03/03/05 07:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

1) Cakes are colonized in the dark to prevent premature pinning. Light is one of the pinning triggers.

2) So long as the cake is 100% colonized it can be birthed. It is not necessary to wait for the formation of primordia.

3) Keep them out of direct sunlight. Natural lighting is fine so long as it is indirect.

4) That's just about perfect.

5) That's how it's done. Peroxide that has been thus diluted will not damage mycelium.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinezorakensis
Mad ScientistMeets CrazyHippy

Loc: Gulf Coast
Re: So why the darkness? [Re: dog]
    #3864070 - 03/03/05 07:58 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, awsome. So I read I can sterilize a casing in the microwave... can I sterilize the vermiculite this way? How long should I zap it and is there any fire risk?

I also've seen some pics where people don't remove from the jar or use jars with shoulders like for spaghetti sauce. Why the crap do they do it? It looks like only a few mushrooms can come out of it... just curious.

--------------------
Suspended in the darkness of
The cool and still Boulder Creek Night
I hear the song of the cricket
And locusts and frogs
And I wonder
Is this the life of a Mushroom - Barbara E Hanson

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3864117 - 03/03/05 08:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I use the microwave to sterilize my casing mixtures. Put the verm and whatever in a microwave bowl. Add enough water so the casing mixture is completely covered. Cover and nuke for 5 minutes. remove the lid and stir the contents well. Re-cover and nuke for an additional 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely before using.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation