Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Loc: Stranded in Iowa
Iowa or Hawaii?
    #3862571 - 03/03/05 01:35 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

I know that might sound like a silly question, but here goes. Right now I live in Iowa, and as much as people may make fun of it, it's cheap, has great education, four seasons, good people, great roads!, and all my stuff, friends and family.

I'm interviewing for a job in Maui on Monday, and having never even been to Hawaii, I'm not sure what all I'm in for (other than what I've read and heard). The job in Hawaii would be a three step promotion while the one in Iowa would be a two step promotion. Then again, Hawaii is really expensive, I hear the houses are super expensive and made of cinder block, and that it's a bad place to raise kids.

I can stay here and be really secure and keep all that I have, or I can give most of what I own away and go become a scuba diving freak. I haven't actually been offered either job, but I have a really good chance of getting either one I pick. It's so hard to choose between an exciting life there (when I may want to move back someday) or staying here where I know the work and the people.

So depressing :frown: I'm stressed and don't know what to do  :sad:

--------------------
Life's a journey. Take the scenic route.

:sun: :heart: :heart: :sun:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Re: Iowa or Hawaii? [Re: agr8fulchick]
    #3862610 - 03/03/05 01:42 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Go to Hawaii, the diving is fantastic.  I can't put enough importance on the experience of a fresh start, especially somewhere as nice as Hawaii.  I've started in new places with less (no job waiting at the other end) and it always turned out to be a life changing experience in one way or another--almost always positive too.  Don't worry about the cost of living and cinder blocks...those are minute issues in the scheme of things. 

Sticking with what's "comfortable" and "secure" is a dull grey place to be, that's my opinion.  Not calling you dull and grey if you choose to do so, I just think that people cheat themselves out by not trying new things like this.

Do it while you can :thumbup:

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Iowa or Hawaii? [Re: Holydiver]
    #3862649 - 03/03/05 01:49 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Hawaii all the way, beautiful fuckin' place. Only bad thing is the humidity and the hot weather in August. Beyond that, great scene if you're into nature and what not. All around would most definately blow Iowa out of the water.

As for other issue, well what are you more into, something that is seemingly stagnating, (your life, why you originally posted this message I assume) or to get a breath of fresh air and explore a new scene for a while. Change is always a good thing to have, whether it's good or bad.

If you have the funds, visit over where you would be living and check it out for a while. It'd be like working where you are vacationing i.e. if you like to vacation their, surely you wouldn't mind living their. Dunno how often Iowa is seen as a 'prime' vacationing state.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #3862657 - 03/03/05 01:51 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Theres a lot of meth freaks in Hawaii. 

I watch Dog the Bounty Hunter occasionally. :grin:

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Iowa or Hawaii? [Re: Boom]
    #3862763 - 03/03/05 02:09 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Lot of meth freaks everywhere.. Have to deal with those that aren't of your culture everywhere, you'll get used to it over time.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
Re: Iowa or Hawaii? [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3862848 - 03/03/05 02:21 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

dude. if you can get a well paying job in hawaii, grab that job by tha balls and cling for dear life. Living in that state is very expensive compared to say, Iowa

And if you ever start to feel trapped on your island, buy a $80 plane ticket to the next one. It's a great life there, constant heat, you can go outside in the rain in your board shorts and still be comfortable.

The reefer there is top notch. White people are a minority. Not saying that a white majority is a bad thing, but you'd be suprised how different it is there. Just steer clear of the military bases and you won't meet any assholes whatsoever.

--------------------

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Iowa or Hawaii? [Re: SWEDEN]
    #3862872 - 03/03/05 02:24 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

SWEDEN said:
dude.  if you can get a well paying job in hawaii, grab that job by tha balls and cling for dear life.  Living in that state is very expensive compared to say, Iowa

And if you ever start to feel trapped on your island, buy a $80 plane ticket to the next one.  It's a great life there, constant heat, you can go outside in the rain in your board shorts and still be comfortable. 

The reefer there is top notch.  White people are a minority.  Not saying that a white majority is a bad thing, but you'd be suprised how different it is there.  Just steer clear of the military bases and you won't meet any assholes whatsoever.

:thumbup:

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #3862885 - 03/03/05 02:28 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

I agree with all that has been said.

Hawaii...its frickin' Hawaii man. That'd be heaven to wake up every day and realize you live in Hawaii.

I've never been to Iowa...but I'd be willing to bet Hawaii is cooler.

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Iowa or Hawaii? [Re: Boom]
    #3862909 - 03/03/05 02:32 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

Booooom said:
I agree with all that has been said.

Hawaii...its frickin' Hawaii man. That'd be heaven to wake up every day and realize you live in Hawaii.

I've never been to Iowa...but I'd be willing to bet Hawaii is cooler.

Cooler in the hotter sense.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Iowa or Hawaii? [Re: Holydiver]
    #3863109 - 03/03/05 03:00 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Love your name, Diver  :thumbup: I myself am scuba certified, but aside from trips to Puerto Rico and Australia and two cold dives in Iowa, I don't get much of a chance to dive around here. Just the diving that Hawaii has to offer has been a big factor in going.

Thank you all for your support! People tend to look at me silly when I ask this question- or they say how expensive it is out there. I'll avoid the tweekers and stick to the hippies, I hear that there are some hiding out there :wink:

Iowa really is a great place to live (really!). We have crazy weather, and having grown up with that, I might actually miss the seasons. It's fun to itch for spring after a frigid weather. On new year's eve my man went golfing because it was over 65 degrees and beautiful out, and on new year's day the town woke up to find an inch of ice over everything, making it impossible to drive or walk!

I would have to get rid of lots of stuff, and just moving would be a pain. I also have some fish tanks and a bunny that I just can't part with, so they would have to go. We love to ride our bikes, and we'd miss ragbrai (that silly ride across Iowa) in the summer. Not to mention all the concerts! We went to a TON of shows last year- I bought a nice car (which I can't take with me) just to go to all those shows. I don't know about flying in to Red Rocks to catch a show...

I know that leaving your comfor zone can be good, but I'm preparing to get married this summer, and it would be tons harder if I have to add a move in to all of that. Move there, get all settled, fly back here to marry him and bring him back to Hawaii with me?

He is all for me moving to Hawaii by the way, and he's never been there either :wink:

Thank you all for your support. I'm really stressed right now, and all I want to do is make the right decision. It seems super to move there right now, but will I want to establish myself and raise a family there in 5-10 years? Or will I want to move back to the mainland? Not to mention all the cool places you can drive on a continent. No canyons or great red woods on an island! Just totally beautiful weather all day :smile:

I'd be moving to the south side of Maui, where it is 82 every day and 65 every night, with only 9 inches of rain a year and perfect swimming/diving water right outside my door. If I do get this job and get over my fears and actually move there, select cool shroomerites would be welcome to come stay in my cinder block shack :wink:

:thanx:

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #3863176 - 03/03/05 03:09 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

its a tough question on one hand you can expierence a place you have never been to and be setup with an amazing job and be able to scuba dive, and enjoy all the islands have to offer.

on the other hand you would be leaving alot behind here in the states.
personally i have never had a job that lasted for more than 6 months. i prefer to keep moving around and expierencing everyhing i can.

seeing that you are very qualified to do what you do, noone is saying that you cant move back to iowa in a few years if you dont enjoy hawaii!

id say go for it. expierence it and if you dont like it theres always the option to move back :smile:

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Iowa or Hawaii? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3863245 - 03/03/05 03:19 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

This is true, I've heard of people getting 'stuck' on the island because they can't afford to move off of it. The first thing I would do (after buying my very own scuba gear!) is set aside enough money to move back on my own accord if I should ever want to. Then again, a good part about working for a global cooporation is that they will relocate you to fit a job. So yeah, I could move back some day, but that would be a total pain, and if I have kids, that would be mean to them. We'll have to see. Zippoz, you've of course invited to the island if I go!

--------------------

InvisibleDragonaut

#3863298 - 03/03/05 03:28 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Iowa has got to be the worst city in the world. Try your luck in Hawai'i.

--------------------
:dragon:

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Iowa or Hawaii? [Re: Dragonaut]
    #3863331 - 03/03/05 03:33 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Iowa is a STATE. Where on earth are you from? And I rather like it here, lots of smart, safe and stable people.  :grin: :thumbup: :heart: :sun:

--------------------

InvisibleDragonaut

#3863489 - 03/03/05 03:56 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

hahaha, well I meant Dubuque(sp?), Iowa...that's the worst place I've ever been to. I can't imagine the rest of the STATE would be any better.

--------------------
:dragon:

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Iowa or Hawaii? [Re: Dragonaut]
    #3863594 - 03/03/05 04:17 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

you know that i will eventually end up on that island if im invited, only question is how the hell will i get there and back.... i think i could afford a boat... because as you know theres no way im flying, unless im piloting the airplane (in time)

how many miles is that?

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #3866295 - 03/04/05 02:20 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

so you have the great opportunity to go to Hawaii when you get that job and with the big promotion you maybe can easyli afford it? I say go for it, if it doesn't turn out to what you expected from it you can always move back to Iowa right?

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3866663 - 03/04/05 05:04 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

aloha hawaii

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Iowa or Hawaii? [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3866909 - 03/04/05 08:20 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I think it's like 2550 miles from LA, which is 1720 miles from Iowa, so that's like 4270 miles! I know that you could cruise there for probably under $1,000, but those are usually round-trip type things, maybe you could go one-way for cheaper? Can you still get aboard a regular cargo vessel? I bet that would be way cheaper! My brother got some cruise deal for like $500, so I'm sure you could find your way there if you looked long enough :wink:

--------------------

Offlineagr8fulchick
Feed Your Head!

Re: Iowa or Hawaii? [Re: stefan]
    #3866914 - 03/04/05 08:21 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I could probably move back, but that would be a super huge pain, and expensive...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale