Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFattyBoomDaddy
First Time Failure?
    #3857730 - 03/02/05 02:44 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

I was just wondering how many of you failed at your first cake grow? From contamination or anything else. I about to start my first and I am just seeing how everyone else did.

--------------------
Toke the Smoke, Consume the Shroom

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Time Failure? [Re: FattyBoomDaddy]
    #3857758 - 03/02/05 02:50 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

My first grow many years ago was a kit from the Keeper, he sent me jars full of trich. Yeah I definitely failed, after watching his weak cultures battle infested jars for a month, I finally gave up.

With all the information available here and the various teks, you're chances of succeeding are much higher then mine were with a kit from the Keeper!

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineDarkie
Bitches n hoes dont mean a thing
 User Gallery

Re: First Time Failure? [Re: Holydiver]
    #3857893 - 03/02/05 03:19 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

FOAF's first grow went awesome. Second looks like a dud, go figure.
PF style should not be underated, especially for newbies. It is so easy to get something worth while out of. As long as you dont fuck something up bad, and make at least half a dozen jars, you wont be disappointed. I lost 2 of 12 cakes due to me scoffing at PCing.

--------------------
You gotta wake up to get faded but you gotta get up to get paided.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #3857901 - 03/02/05 03:21 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

I was successful my first time around...doing PF-tek style cakes.
I even made my own syringes. :smile:

The main reason...I followed the PF-tek to the T.

I had read almost every thread I could...and didn't have to ask people questions for anything...my first time.

I had alot of spare time on my hands.  :smirk:

I have asked people questions...after I got into casing and such...I usually asked Anno...lolzz
He would always answer my questions...Thanks Anno!~
:heart:

I really don't see messing up as failure in this hobby...as long as you learn from your mistakes.

We all make mistakes from time to time....no one is perfect.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Time Failure? [Re: Holydiver]
    #3857934 - 03/02/05 03:28 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

I skipped cakes. Seemed just as easy as whole grains. It was. As long as you have a PC, whole grains are just as easy (IMO easier). 8 casings got me about 3 ounces my first flush. I researched alot though. I first foun the Keepers site like 2 years ago and planned on someday ordering his big kit there. Sounded great. I found another board which tried to talk me out of it but I figured they didnt know what they were talking about, how could this guy still be here (2 years after I first looked) if he didnt know what he was doing. And the descriptions sounded SO good. I decided to research a little more though because of those people (magic mushroom forum in the uk) and found the Shroomery. This time instead of a couple people (small board) telling me, I had many explaining. So I started reading and read pretty much every FAQ, tek and a few hundred posts here, all before I even started. I can not stress enough that the more reading you do, the greater your chances of success. We now have an archieve section which we didnt then which is some great shit. I've read everything in the archieves now too :smile:

Some of it you wont understand...read it anyway. When you grow, the peices that you got (all you read) are all connected and come together. It's still good to go back and read FAQ's that you didnt understand before, after you grow, you may.

Edit:
I should add:
"I really don't see messing up as failure in this hobby...as long as you learn from your mistakes.

We all make mistakes from time to time....no one is perfect."

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineantioch
..is stilltripping
 User Gallery

#3858020 - 03/02/05 03:40 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

My first time around I ordered B+ syringes and wanted to just try the PF-tek. I had about 6 cakes and they were all fruiting but had to pick them right when the veil broke due to a Christmas flight.  :nonono:

Decided to try again and give casings a try-- All three of them are on the 4th flush now.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinepizzle3k
Midwest Mushin!
Male

Re: First Time Failure? [Re: antioch]
    #3858053 - 03/02/05 03:47 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

my first time was a success because i learned so many things.I have made so many mistakes that hopefully one day i'll run out of mistakes and not be able to mess up! haha

Learning your mistakes is key to this hobby.I also found it very helpful to keep like a personal "log" on what you do and how you do it,so if you mess up then you have deciding factors that can help you correct your mistakes.I believe my first cake grow,i pulled about 13 grams dry from 9 cakes,pink buffalo.Horrible harvest,but opened my eyes to this hobby and i never stopped...Keep Shroomin!! peace!!!

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: First Time Failure? [Re: pizzle3k]
    #3858097 - 03/02/05 03:57 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

>"I really don't see messing up as failure in this hobby...as long as you learn from your mistakes.

We all make mistakes from time to time....no one is perfect."

That's all that Really matters and yea, First grow wan't anything to be pround of, but damn it felt good to see all that hard work amount to something :thumbup: Learned a lot from just reading, once i figured out how to post :rolleyes:
1600?...Yea, i;'ve helped, questioned and learned a lot of the MB's and most importantly, Everyone on the shroomery...o...and failures, lol. They suck but you should do all you can to learn about what you did wrong so that you can do it better the next time around...

Gl w/ your grow :thumbup:

-Gnostic

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3858136 - 03/02/05 04:06 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

100% success with first(only) cake/casings. pf tek of course.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Offlinespud303
Pizza Punk.
Loc: 303
    #3858177 - 03/02/05 04:15 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

AFOAF's first cake was a success, though only one shroom (we'll call him fred) got to take off (15g wet). AFOAF pulled fred because he mistook bluing (from where fred had grown under an abort, and was bruising because fred was just getting too big for the cake to hold onto... he thinks) for contamination.
Said FOAF is in the process of his first fruiting casing, and it's looking spectacular (in his opinion, lol), though there are a few strange looking mutants, including one shroom that seems to be growing inside-out? he says the gills seem to be on the outside, and will try to get a pic today. also among the mutants are a little guy that seems to have his cap growing from his side!
Anyhow, he hasn't had any problems with contamination on any jars (this includes an incident where the jar was dropped, and the protective layer of verm. was lost and not replaced. mycelium growth was extremely fast after the incident, colonizing quickly from the top down [strain PAL]). He steamed the jars for ~3 hours (no PC available) and only had to chalk up one jar as a loss (no growth after 1 month)
GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

--------------------
this is my signature.

Edited by spud303 (03/02/05 04:17 PM)

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
Re: First Time Failure? [Re: spud303]
    #3858333 - 03/02/05 04:39 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

fist couple times were with mycobags. first mycobag ever resulted in a 28g dry harvest from the single bag. i was super happy and had the best mushroom trip ever (ate 3.8g on the beach with a friend). future mycobags grows were not so hot, but at least i got something. now i'm trying pftek since i have a pressure cooker: i made it all the way to the pinnin stage without any problems of any sort. but i'm currently failing, not because of contams, but because of [most likely] environmental conditions - basically i'm growing fungal "blobs" rather than actual mushrooms. well see what the future of grain has in store for me...

but yeah, understanding increases every day.... it's fun.

OfflineFattyBoomDaddy
Re: First Time Failure? [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #3862643 - 03/03/05 01:48 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Thank you all for your posts. I have been reading my ass off on shroomery preparing myself for my first grow. I hope it will be a success. All I am waiting for is my syringes now. :frown:

--------------------
Toke the Smoke, Consume the Shroom

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #3862853 - 03/03/05 02:22 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

I just finished harvesting my first flush of 3 cakes, got 40g wet off my first PESA cake.  I started with 40 1/2pint BRF cakes and only lost 5 to contamination, but those 5 I lost were due to a bad syringe that I bought.  But even that was worth it because I got to see what the "green meanie" looks like. lol
#1 - Build a glove box
#2 - Practice extreme sterility, we probably go overboard, but we'd rather be safe than sorry.
#3 - Read, read, read! Take advantage of all of the knowledge that the experienced growers have to offer.  Get involved with the Shroomery community.  We spent a month reading and researching EVERYTHING that the web has to offer.
#4 - Invest in a PC they are worth the money.  Nothing worse than failure from not having your substrate sterile.
Good luck!  Hope you have great success as we have had so far.
Peace, Love, Happiness & Harmony
:heart:  Hippie Chick

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinelaughingbuddha
That's freakinAWESOME!

Loc: the Moment
    #3862902 - 03/03/05 02:31 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

i feel compelled to contribute here, perhaps to the chagrin of others who have read my whiny posts elsewhere. my first failure has actually been my first five failures, as i have tried five times to use rye and have seen nothing but failure five times. and to reiterate what i've said elsewhere, i've followed the teks to a T. each time i tried to vary certain steps, such as the simmer time, to see if that was the problem. no luck. i shall abandon rye and perhaps return to it later if i ever get this damn "hobby" off the ground. good luck dude.

--------------------
"The more I read, the more I meditate; and the more I meditate, the more certain I am that I know nothing." -Voltaire

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds