Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesboss01
Stranger
Mushroom Beer
    #3862356 - 03/03/05 02:36 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Can home beer brewers place quality dried mushies in w/ the beer? At what stage of the brewing process would this be best? What type of brew would compliment the taste best? Will mushies rot if placed in a 6 gallon jug during the fermentation process? If so should the be added during the bottling and carbination stage? Will the yeast or alcohol diminish the potency of psy/psil? Any information on beer and or alcohol and mushies would be appreciated? Has anyone ever heard of trying something similar? If they would rot in beer how long or at what alcohol content would this happen? I'm about to begin experimenting w/ this idea and need help. Also, say I tried to inject spores into maybe a dark lager or something that naturally had lots of nutrients, would the grow along w/ the yeast and provide trippy beer? My intent mostly is to brew a beer that, w/ one or two 12oz servings, could provide an average trip.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: sboss01]
    #3862456 - 03/03/05 03:03 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Imagine if someone stole a 6 pack from you !!!...

surprize !

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

Offlinesboss01
Stranger
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: PooPs]
    #3862461 - 03/03/05 03:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

For sure! A six pack would be a hell of a gift to give too!

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
    #3862861 - 03/03/05 04:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Vary interesting questions

Well I can see two points at which you could add them.

One would be at the point where your wort was still hot but not boiling. This would be just before you add the wort to the fermentation keg. Then once the wort was cooled you would add the yeast. This would have the advantage of killing the dried mushrooms and making sure that they did not carry contaminates or start a mycelium growth in your wort.

The other point would be after active fermentation had begun. To do that you would have to remove the fermentation lock from the keg and add the mushrooms.

I do not see yeast effecting the psilocybin. Yeast breaks down sugar and metabolizes it to alcohol and CO2.

I would start by adding it while the wort is still hot. For both the added sterilization as well as the tea factor. As the alcohol level rises it should dissolve the active compounds and "Improve" the beer.

Now I would decided what you want the intended content to be, before hand! for example if you would like 1 beer to be the equivalent of a 3g dose you will need to add the appropriate amount to the wort. 1 5gal fermentation keg makes 24 bottles of beer. So for a 3g dose you would need 72 grams of dried mushrooms.

It sounds like a great experiment! Why don't you make some and let us know!

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: Cyber]
    #3863012 - 03/03/05 04:48 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not so sure. Wouldn't the water in the beer break down the psilly? I know if you make tea and don't drink it for a few days, it loses its sizzle. Most of us have experienced that.

Also, A local brewery near me makes a chantrelle beer every fall when the mountains are covered with them. I bought a quart last year, and I have to sadly report it tasted horrible. It tasted just like. . . .mushrooms and beer.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3863052 - 03/03/05 04:54 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I'm not so sure.  Wouldn't the water in the beer break down the psilly?  I know if you make tea and don't drink it for a few days, it loses its sizzle.  Most of us have experienced that.

To my understanding Psilocybin breaks down in the presents of O2, Once the fermentation has started there is little to no O2. The fermentation lock allows the CO2 to escape with out letting the O2 in. The only point that the mix would be exposed to O2 would be when more yeast is added to the mix and it is placed in a bottle. Then the CO2 build up would stop all degradation of the Psilocybin as the bottle becomes supersaturated with CO2.

Again I am not 100% sure. That is why I suggested he try it and let us know. It could be a VARY COOL thing :wink:

OfflineDem_Bones
Strangler
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: District of Columbia
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: Cyber]
    #3863305 - 03/03/05 05:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

i have been home brewing for a longtime and would just like to say a 5 gal carboy makes about 48 12oz beers not 24 unless you have 24oz bottles so if you want 3 grams per bottle you need 144 grams, if you really wanted to do this i would get a 2.5 glass carboy, but i think is just a real bad idea you would want to add the mushrooms the last 15 min of the boiling this may lower potency but if you don't you will funk your beer up. the space of the much mushrooms in the carboy is going to be huge and thy will swell back to their wet size then come time to rack the beer you will have no way to ringing the beer out of them. lastly i don't think alchole and mushrooms mix very well in small amounts its ok but any more than that reduces the trip , and if you drank 3 grams of mushrooms in a yeasty home-brew there are alot of people that may get sick the first 30 min i know some times i have got a stomec ache from mushrooms the first hr or so

--------------------
CLICK THIS Ultimate Myco Directory v5.0
At the bottom of this page is a search bar to search all the post and threads on the forum so you can see all the other 500 people who asked the same thing.use the top search too it has shroomery approved FAQs USE IT YOU CAN DO IT !

Offlinesboss01
Stranger
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: Dem_Bones]
    #3866901 - 03/04/05 10:16 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the good advice! I'll post the results for sure.

Offlinesboss01
Stranger
    #3869280 - 03/04/05 07:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Bump, hopfully for some more good info!

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3873000 - 03/05/05 03:20 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

You might be better off making tea, and adding it when you put in the priming sugar right before bottling.

Dunno. Not really a cultvation related question.

I'm moving this from Adv. Cult. to Culinary Arts.

--------------------

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3873307 - 03/05/05 04:47 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I think Baby Hitler has the best idea.

Or you could do it like a Lambic without soured wort. Pasteurize a tea of mushrooms and add them after primary fermentation.

I just started brewing, I've got 5gal of gingered IPA and 5gal of porter in fermentation right now. The IPA should almost be ready to bottle.

Has anyone checked out the Marijuana Beer book?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3876577 - 03/06/05 11:37 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I just happen to be reading "Joy of Homebrewing" right now. I think the best thing to do is to boil them in your priming sugar mix.

Boil the sugar real well first. Don't let it get thick and syrrupy. It needs to be thin enough to filter.

Let it cool some before you put the powdered mushroom in. Take the pot off the hot stove eye and stir for several minutes.

I guess you'll need to filter it hot. It needs to still be hot when you pour it into the bottling bucket, either that or you'll need to sterilize your filter.

Maybe you could put the shroom powder in teabags. I think they sell "Adjunct" bags or something at some brew stores.

--------------------

Offlinediscoabe
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3881386 - 03/07/05 04:51 AM (12 years, 4 months ago)

How about doing and extract on the mushrooms first and then just mixing the extract into the fermenation chamber.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #3882134 - 03/07/05 12:39 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

you'll need a high alcohol beer, probably a IIPA, Imperial Russian Stout, Barley Wine, Old Ale, etc. That should help keep the contaminations down. Another thing you can do is wait until all fermentation has stopped, then transfer it to secondary, dump in ground mushrooms, and toss some crushed campden tablets.

Offlinesboss01
Stranger
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: daussaulit]
    #3887987 - 03/08/05 05:29 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I think thats what I'm going to try. I've decided to experiment first w/ ground powder Inserted during the bottling phase for a six pack.

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3893451 - 03/09/05 06:10 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I would personly try a higher proofe wine.. Homemade beer always has that "taste" ALWAYS. I find making a good wine is easier.. and upwords of 15% isnt unheard of..

Invisiblepsilomonkey
Twisted brainwrong of a oneoff man mental

Loc: Airstrip One
    #4442057 - 07/23/05 11:08 AM (12 years, 1 day ago)

Just dug this thread up from a search.

Well I figure there is one way to find out, just got a homebrew kit, made up the mix, its a fast one 5-7 days light brown bitter. Going to add the mushrooms as you would the extra hops it you wanted it a little more bitter, filter and bottle 48 hours later.

My mate will be adding about 2 dried grams per liter. I don't imagine it will keep to long, there are spores on the shrooms that will probably turn the beer info a liquid culture in a few days.

He is not making it very strong on the mushroom side, more a beer with a little extra something. I think strong mushroom alcohol mix will result in a techno-color yawn.

Will let you know how it turns out in about a week.

EDIT: I will keep a bottle to see how it ages, the spores make get wiped out.

Edited by psilomonkey (07/23/05 11:12 AM)

InvisibleA3eyedfish
mycophile
 User Gallery

Loc: Wut some people Call Par...
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: psilomonkey]
    #4451957 - 07/25/05 07:54 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Do the math to figure out the dosage for each bottle of beer in a 5 gallon batch, take your dried mushrooms, place them in a sealable container & pour in enough ever clear ( grain alcohol ) to cover the organic material & then like a half inch above that, soak them for several days as you on occasion shake & aggitate the mixture, you should have small diced the the shrooms first for max surface area.

Now, after you have done your boil & things have cooled down & you are ready to add the yeast to the fermenter pail, at the same time you add your extracted shroom mix, yeah there will be a lil higher alcohol content to the batch, but who fukkin' cares?, the natural aggetation of the fermation prosses will mix things up nicely, at the end, all organic matter will drop to the sludge at the bottom, bottle or keg her on up, cuz you got shroom brew. Add irish moss, if you feel that the beer is too cloudy, adding organic matter can cloud your finished project.

--------------------

Edited by A3eyedfish (07/27/05 04:31 AM)

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: Legoulash]
    #4465301 - 07/28/05 06:28 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Rah said:
Homemade beer always has that "taste" ALWAYS.

what does that mean? I've heard people say this before, but what is this taste? Also you just drink these "homebrews" out of the bottle?

InvisibleA3eyedfish
mycophile
 User Gallery

Loc: Wut some people Call Par...
Re: Mushroom Beer [Re: daussaulit]
    #4501436 - 08/05/05 10:01 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

daussaulit said:
Quote:

Rah said:
Homemade beer always has that "taste" ALWAYS.

what does that mean? I've heard people say this before, but what is this taste? Also you just drink these "homebrews" out of the bottle?

That taste is the yeast that settles to the bottom of the bottle, either decant the beer into a glass first or filter the beer during the bottleing process

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing