Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineYummymush
Stranger
Contamination from Spawn that is fruiting
    #3859347 - 03/02/05 07:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hi all,

I remember reading several posts about higher risk of contamination when you use spawn that already starts forming primordia or fruits. I order some sawdust spawn in filter-patched bags and as soon as I I recieved them, they already started forming primordia or big mushrooms all over the surface. I contacted the seller right away for a refund, but he didn't contact me back til 2 weeks later. Tried to keep them cool because I couldn't use them right away, and it's still growing into huge shiitakes right now. Now, I just talked with the owner. He insists that I can use the spawns! Anyone have literature somewhere to show that using fruiting spawn is really bad. I need hard evidence to talk with this guy. It's frustrating because I don't want to open the bag to harvest those mushrooms, hoping I can return the bag. At the same time, if he refuses to refund, I would feel bad to see these mush rotting and go to waste.

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Contamination from Spawn that is fruiting [Re: Yummymush]
    #3859571 - 03/02/05 08:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Your spawn should still work, it will not be as vigorous if it had
not fruited though. Some of the energy that would have gone into
colonizing your logs has gone into making mushrooms. It will
probably take longer for your logs to colonize.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: Contamination from Spawn that is fruiting [Re: Yummymush]
    #3860362 - 03/02/05 10:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If the fruit bodies are that large already, it might be best to just treat your sawdust like a production block and fruit it as is. Strip the plastic off and pop it in your grow room.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

OfflineYummymush
Stranger
Re: Contamination from Spawn that is fruiting [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #3863605 - 03/03/05 04:19 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Thanks you two for the advice. I think I will just pop up the bag and let the spawn fruit then. Just felt bad that instead of getting 1000 mushrooms after inoculation, I will be picking 20. Well...think in a good way, I will have some pictures of shiitake on sawdust block to share with you guys.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract