Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTomJoad
Goddamn Red
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Genetics Q
    #3859144 - 03/02/05 09:00 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, as far as strains go, one inoculates with spores, how different is the resulting growth genetically from the original? That is to say, if one inoculates from live tissue, it should be 100% the same genotype as the original. So if one took some spores from their first grow of golden teachers, for instance, and from the same grow took a live tissue sample and grew both of these out, how genetically similar would the two resulting batches be? I guess what i'm basically asking is, are spores a good way to preserve genetic integrity of a strain? I suppose maybe the best way is to do both, as nothing but tissue samples would probably wear out the strain eventually, and it would need some genetic variation to keep it healthy. Any thoughts? To put it yet another way, if one acquires B+ spores (for example) and uses them to inoculate straight to grain, would the resulting mushrooms really be B+, or would it be like apples, where a Macintosh seed will yeild some sorta scraggly crab-apply tree? I guess this is where the step of growing out on agar and isolating a healthy strain comes in...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekraj
Stranger
Re: Genetics Q [Re: TomJoad]
    #3859242 - 03/02/05 09:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not going to claim i know very much but I see it this way. Cloning a shroom from it's myc would be much like taking the DNA from a human and cloning it. Taking the spores would be like taking the sperm from a human, although it may have some similar characteristics, a clone would obviously be more similar to it's "parent".

I've heard clones shouldn't be carried out more than 6 generations due to mutation problems that i'd imagine would be similar to inbreeding in humans.

But really i'm talking out of my ass(from general knowledge i've picked up here).

Hopefully i didn't scar you too bad :P

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation